Base model 1.5T Knock control

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I started with the 21# on my Si... then went with the 23# then fooled around with that. You'll hit diminishing returns the more boost you try to run on the stock turbo but even between 21 to 23... the difference was noticable. You ought to be pleased with the difference between 19.5 and 21. On my first flash, 19.5 was sport off and 21 was sport on. You could definately tell the difference.
I'm actually loving the 19.5 and may consider 19.5/21 sport off/on flash haha.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm actually loving the 19.5 and may consider 19.5/21 sport off/on flash haha.
At least with the basemap's you'll actually reach your boost targets. On the stock tune, boost would fall well short of the advertised peak boost levels. That's a huge change.

I'd say go for it when you're comfortable. 21 is another good incremental step up. There's not a lot of difference between 21 and 23 past 5000 RPM... so you'd be coming towards the most the stock turbo can give you with regard to peak power.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Because you can't see the Vit tune parameters... you just won't know what boost/ignition values are there.

You could go with a basemap and enable the ethanol map. It would, by default, add a maximum of 5 to the base ignition value. Do your pulls... watch k.control. if it's rising substantially... it'll be pulling the extra advance the ethanol adjust table is adding back out. Just because it's rising doesn't mean you're damaging your engine... so long as it can rise to a high enough value to retard timing to prevent knock.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/ignition_timing_and_knock_control.htm

I'm not sure how high it *can* go. If there's an upper limit that K.control can go... you'd certainly not want to tap it out to where it could no longer retard timing.

It sounds to me like the tune is very aggressive with both high boost levels and a lot of timing added. The K.control rising is pulling timing as needed to keep the engine safe. Anything to further lower IATs would be helpful... improved intercooler and, to a lesser extent, a CAI. If you're outside of the efficiency range of the turbo... lower boost... but since it's be a locked tune, you're sunk there. If the tune was developed in cooler weather and now that it's getting hotter your current setup is tapped out to cool the intake charge... you could see if you could of sought out another revision as that was a stipulation on it, for free (mods cost $100 for a revision, as I recall) but if he's out of the game... again... you're sunk.

I'd still try a 21# and 23# basemap with ethanol adjustment table enabled and see how K.control responds. I'm not sure what boost that custom tune is having you run, but if you're at some very high level of boost... you're just pushing a lot of hot air. Without any ability to get another revision, an intercooler upgrade might be your best bet. It's a bandaid to running too much boost on too small a turbo.

Look at your datalogs and look at your IATs in relation to your K.control. See if they trend together... up... a lot.
On vit tunes, for my ethanol tune, we actually lowered boost and added ign to make more power in the mid range compared to my 93 octane tune.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On vit tunes, for my ethanol tune, we actually lowered boost and added ign to make more power in the mid range compared to my 93 octane tune.
I bet. Some of the numbers I've heard people running... 25... 27# on a stock turbo seem mad, at least on the upper 1/2 of the RPM band. Its about the mass of air...not the pressure. At a certain point, more pressure or no... you're not really making more power... but you sure are making IATs hot.

infiniteraiders

First Name
Taji
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thought I'd chime in.. I've had my kcont stay at .49 but also seen it rise as high as .85 before I back off. I've never let it get above .9 (usually saw that on a reflash). Saw it increase on heavy pulls as well as gradual throttle. The gradual throttle was usually in gears 4-6.

oldjackbob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag