Base model 1.5T Knock control

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Could be a CVT thing and your temps seem pretty high driving at night.
IATs that high during night driving are normal depending on where he’s located. I saw IATs of about the same when I was driving last night.

As far as the tune goes. It’s either the fuel, or the CVT in my book. My car does not act like that on 91 unless I’m on trash fuel. Again I think you need to find higher octane and retest. 91 is the minimum for these tunes imo.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IATs that high during night driving are normal depending on where he’s located. I saw IATs of about the same when I was driving last night.

As far as the tune goes. It’s either the fuel, or the CVT in my book. My car does not act like that on 91 unless I’m on trash fuel. Again I think you need to find higher octane and retest. 91 is the minimum for these tunes imo.
He’s from the Bay Area lol which is where I am from and my nights are usually 60 and below temps. 91 is pretty much all we have in California with only really limited E85 at certain cities thst could be hours away. 91 is not a problem according to Vit. If he wanted lower temps get a CAI

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
He’s from the Bay Area lol which is where I am from and my nights are usually 60 and below temps. 91 is pretty much all we have in California with only really limited E85 at certain cities thst could be hours away. 91 is not a problem according to Vit. If he wanted lower temps get a CAI
Agreed, a cold air intake specially if you pair it with a better intercooler. That will make a huge difference.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do lower temps help to decrease the knock? Should I reset to factory and do a test again?
No not necessarily but on a CVT they usually run hot so cooler IATs will help as well as a cvt oil cooler. You are completely stock right except for the Ktuner?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Well I’m not entirely sure if it will, but I was stating for making IAT’s go down significantly. Must be the tune or because Cvt.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's what Vit said before in a post a while ago.

"The Knock Count value on this ECU is worthless. It doesn't track actual knock -- I've induced audible knock on our test vehicle and knock count stayed at 0. Yet at other times it would go up while shifting the vehicle. Pay attention to Knock Control, it is the more important value. And what this value does will depend highly on what the tune is setup to do. For a stock style tune that is designed to run on 87 octane and premium (91+) you'll see around 1.0 on 87 octane and closer to .5-.6 as you get up to 93-94 octane (not all premium fuel is the same).

On something like our Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes we've designed them to run on 91-93 octane, so on 91 octane expect to see closer to .9 and as you get to better premium grade fuel you'll see closer to .5 - .6."

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So is it OK to have that knock control near .8-.9 at WOT. Because I’m really scared from screwing up my engine and end up in the dealership. I’ll wait for ktuner to respond too and move on depending on that. Thanks for the response!!
the only time my kcontrol got that high was when i only had a tune and DP combo. when i usually do 3-5 pulls it starts to get pretty high.

but since i got the PRL CAI, Intercooler, & CVT cooler, my kcontrol has been pretty consistant between pulls at the track, so i guess the engine isnt heating soaking so much and causing the kcontrol to jump. its pretty consistant from .54 to .66 after a pull. then drops back down to .54 after 5-10mins. also i only have 91 octane here and acouple of our race shops carry race gas but have not tried that yet.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have Vit's Stage 1 in a stock Si and all I see is .49 knock control on 93 Octane that I get at Sam's Club. I even tried today to get it higher by doing short pulls, but couldn't do it.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice man, we don’t have 93 over in Bay Area. I don’t know if I should be worried about Kcon around .8-1.00 after pulls. It’s walking on my nerves!
You know another thing you could test is flash it back to stock and see knock control. Stock knock control is usually pretty high because that’s how it should be

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So let’s say I flashed back and kcon was .9. Then why should we be worried about a .7-.85 Kcon in stage 2 for example?
You shouldn't be then because that's how it was designed for. Just datalog a few runs and send it to ktuner for review

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have Vit's Stage 1 in a stock Si and all I see is .49 knock control on 93 Octane that I get at Sam's Club. I even tried today to get it higher by doing short pulls, but couldn't do it.
On my HB Sport Touring all stock, still factory tune, 93 octane from Shell and Costco, Kcont is also stuck on 0.49. Haven't seen any other number since I started looking even after some (relatively brief) road rage events. IAT minus ambient din't seem to ever exceed low forties in F.

OP
OP
GTAHatch

GTAHatch

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T Sport Hatch MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I just wanted to shed some light on this subject and I can’t say how appropriated I am by everyone’s input on this. I spread the word on FB as well. A Gentleman on FB said he was having the same issue. One of the major differences between the Si and the Base 1.5T is the MAF. The design of the Si’s is definitely a better way to go but it’s not as easy as replacing then MAF. So this gentleman got a k.control of 1.30 and could not get it to go down for the life of him,he said. So he said he started with the MAF sensor and seemed to have found the solution to his problem that quite possibly be everyone else problem. A Dirty MAF seemed to be the issue. He went to a car shop and bought a bottle of MAF cleaner (7$ US and about 10$ Canadian) and boom problem solved. Now he’s at .49 and can barley get it to raise. And he said if it does raise it stays in the safe peramitors. This is good new and definitely worth a shot. I picked some up last night but unfortunately didn’t have the right allankey for the MAF. So let’s start from there and see what happens. Updates soon.

OP
OP
GTAHatch

GTAHatch

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T Sport Hatch MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man thanks for the update. Gotta try that this weekend and see what happens, the problem is that where is the MAF? And how can I open it to clean it?
Be really careful with it and don’t half ass it. Read the intstruction on the cleaner bottle. 2 allankey screws and 1 harness clip.

Honda Civic 10th gen Base model 1.5T Knock control 8180EE17-DCE1-493A-886D-528231861D6D

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Hey man thanks for the update. Gotta try that this weekend and see what happens, the problem is that where is the MAF? And how can I open it to clean it?
The MAF is connected to the airbox....

If you don't know what you're doing cleaning it I highly recommend you leave the MAF alone... I don't know how much this one costs to replace but on my older projects...they were not cheap. :thumbsdown:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
K. Control goes no lower than .54 on Hondata. I asked Doug (Hondata) about that on his official Hondata forums because Ktuner goes as low as .49...

Here's his reply:
"The numbers are different but that may just indicate a difference in conversion. You'd have to use the Honda scan tool on each to see."

That didn't really answer my question. Does anyone know why Hondata K. control goes no lower than .54? Does than mean that Hondata is leaving some power on the table so to speak compared to Ktuner?
Sponsored