Base Map (stock Si)

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys,

How is Hondata's basemap for the stock Si?
I've seen this topic asked about the typeR and by Si owners with simple mods, but I'm simply looking to get a tuning device simply for rev-hang. I don't have a need to add more power and I want to minimize risk of warranty issues. I figure if I got in a bind with the dealer, I can at least try to prove my tune never changed power output ...call it a peace of mind etc. So i simply want an enjoyable stock 2020 Si without rev hang. I'm coming from a SCed 8th gen and so I'm enjoying the OEM feel (MINUS the rev hang!).
Sponsored

Bates XIV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys,

How is Hondata's basemap for the stock Si?
I've seen this topic asked about the typeR and by Si owners with simple mods, but I'm simply looking to get a tuning device simply for rev-hang. I don't have a need to add more power and I want to minimize risk of warranty issues. I figure if I got in a bind with the dealer, I can at least try to prove my tune never changed power output ...call it a peace of mind etc. So i simply want an enjoyable stock 2020 Si without rev hang. I'm coming from a SCed 8th gen and so I'm enjoying the OEM feel (MINUS the rev hang!).
I’m sad no one has replied to you as I am literally in the same boat. I, too, want a bit extra performance (e.g. lose the rev-hang, smoother top-end), without sacrificing reliability (or gas mileage). It might be worth re-posting to see if you can get some replies (that are helpful...unlike mine haha).

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
So here's the problem... Honda can't necessarily see WHAT has been flashed over time, just that SOMETHING has been flashed, so even if you only modify things like the rev-hang and other driveability aspects, Honda could just deny warranty coverage saying that you had flashed the ECU. If you say that you never tuned for more power, Honda would likely just say that maybe the current tune is stock, but you could have tuned it for more power previously and since reflashed it.

Bates XIV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
So here's the problem... Honda can't necessarily see WHAT has been flashed over time, just that SOMETHING has been flashed, so even if you only modify things like the rev-hang and other driveability aspects, Honda could just deny warranty coverage saying that you had flashed the ECU. If you say that you never tuned for more power, Honda would likely just say that maybe the current tune is stock, but you could have tuned it for more power previously and since reflashed

I’m curious as to how they can verify that (I’m new to modding cars), but nonetheless, your point is well taken. I think what the OP and I are more worried about (correct me if I’m wrong, OP) is whether a simple flash to remove rev-hang would compromise the reliability of the car. If not, we would never have the conversation with the dealer about voiding the warranty. The rev-hang is there to control for emissions, so I don’t think removing that feature harms the engine, turbo, clutch, etc. Thoughts?

Bates XIV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
(My bad; reposting in case anyone missed my reply)

I’m curious as to how they can verify that (I’m new to modding cars), but nonetheless, your point is well taken. I think what the OP and I are more worried about (correct me if I’m wrong, OP) is whether a simple flash to remove rev-hang would compromise the reliability of the car. If not, we would never have the conversation with the dealer about voiding the warranty. The rev-hang is there to control for emissions, so I don’t think removing that feature harms the engine, turbo, clutch, etc. Thoughts?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
(My bad; reposting in case anyone missed my reply)

Honda can supposedly see the reflash count. Removing rev-hang shouldn't compromise reliability, but if you have engine issues and the dealer checks to see if the ECU has been reflashed, it's your word against theirs unfortunately.

Bates XIV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Honda can supposedly see the reflash count. Removing rev-hang shouldn't compromise reliability, but if you have engine issues and the dealer checks to see if the ECU has been reflashed, it's your word against theirs unfortunately.
That makes sense. Thanks for the advice!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, here's a couple of real straight to the point points about tuning...

1. You have to go into tuning with the mindset that if something goes horribly wrong, your powertrain warranty is shot.

2. Don't fret. If you go with a basemap, don't go crazy with bolt ons and drive and maintain your car like a normal human, tuning is really reliable. My tuning survey here at the forum proves that.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/tune...nce-survey-si-non-si-type-r-with-stats.42361

Bates XIV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Guys, here's a couple of real straight to the point points about tuning...

1. You have to go into tuning with the mindset that if something goes horribly wrong, your powertrain warranty is shot.

2. Don't fret. If you go with a basemap, don't go crazy with bolt ons and drive and maintain your car like a normal human, tuning is really reliable. My tuning survey here at the forum proves that.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/tune...nce-survey-si-non-si-type-r-with-stats.42361
This is extremely helpful. Big thanks to you, gtman!!!

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Has anyone tried the following. This is a more old school approach but doesn’t require a reflash since it’s piggy backing of the OEM ECU. https://burgertuning.com/products/honda-civic-jb4
There was a thread a few months back discussing piggyback options. My personal opinion is that a piggyback will never be as good as a flash, but it might be perfectly fine if you are really just trying to disable rev-hang (assuming a piggyback can do that).

OP
OP

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
There was a thread a few months back discussing piggyback options. My personal opinion is that a piggyback will never be as good as a flash, but it might be perfectly fine if you are really just trying to disable rev-hang (assuming a piggyback can do that).
Right. I’m not trying to extract a lot of power. I would be happy simply without without the rev hang and a few hp bump. I don’t want clutch issues anyways.
Sponsored