Luke Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
2019 Si coupe, When I break the tires loose, rain, snow or dry conditions, very loud banging comes from the front end. I just assumed it was the brakes grabbing for the traction control. However I tested that theory and it still does it with the traction control turned off. It's really loud, scares the crap out of passengers. Any ideas? It has done this since day one. Thanks!
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
You should avoid this scenario at all costs for the poor cars sake. Sounds like you have never had a fwd car that could spin a tire?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Wheel hop. You need a rear motor mount upgrade OR a motor mount insert from perrin. This will fix your problems.
I have the Hasport 62A and the problem is still there but Ive launched my car less than 10 times in the nearly 2 years of ownership.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wheel hop. You need a rear motor mount upgrade OR a motor mount insert from perrin. This will fix your problems.
While this is true, we should also mention to the OP that this can often cause a significant increase of NVH depending on what rear motor mount solution is chosen.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Everyone else has already mentioned this, wheel hop. Not good for the car. Don't do it

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Me 6 for wheel hop.

My RSX had floppy mounts and every time it happened you'd think the world was coming to an end. It's kind of akin to using an torquey electric drill with the chuck locked and trying to tighten/loosen something that's seized and the drill trying to jump out of your hand from the torque. Only it's your engine... trying to jump from your motor mounts as the wheel(s)... through your drivetrain transfers torque back to your engine… as your wheel(s) grab and lose traction again and again, your engine is rocking violently in whatever play exists in your mounts.

It's really... really fun with passengers though, especially if you scream while it's happening. When it happens... you're going to want to lift or risk shaking your fillings out... or causing harm to your car eventually.

It did always manage to evoke a "OHMYGODYOUBROKETHECAR" response from my wife... and was a source of joy when I was thrashing that old car. I wouldn't do it to something I care a lot about regularly.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
While this is true, we should also mention to the OP that this can often cause a significant increase of NVH depending on what rear motor mount solution is chosen.
This is true. In this case i see nvh as the lesser of two evils. If he's driving his car hard enough to cause wheel hop he should take the steps to stop it. Nvh will be a byproduct. Everyone should research a product before commiting obviously.

OP
OP

Luke Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
You should avoid this scenario at all costs for the poor cars sake. Sounds like you have never had a fwd car that could spin a tire?

True, that I have owned larger displacement rear wheel drive cars and trucks most recently. I have also owned several small engined front wheel drive cars too and I have never experienced this. I have done my share of drag racing, even cars that should not be raced. All of my cars are manual and sometimes I use tire slip like like how a clutch works to cheat and get the extra power. They never have made this noise. So what am I supposed to do? Anticipate the spin and back off the throttle? If so, this isn’t the car I wanted if it sounds like I’m going to break it every time I want to launch. I’ll be looking at mount upgrades, thanks for your help on this!

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
True, that I have owned larger displacement rear wheel drive cars and trucks most recently. I have also owned several small engined front wheel drive cars too and I have never experienced this. I have done my share of drag racing, even cars that should not be raced. All of my cars are manual and sometimes I use tire slip like like how a clutch works to cheat and get the extra power. They never have made this noise. So what am I supposed to do? Anticipate the spin and back off the throttle? If so, this isn’t the car I wanted if it sounds like I’m going to break it every time I want to launch. I’ll be looking at mount upgrades, thanks for your help on this!
You very likely could break anything from "launching" any car. What was the end result of all your others? Broken?

I have a lot of FAST shit and rarely "launch" any of them.

Did you buy the car to sidestep the clutch at lights? If so then yes you absolutely bought the wrong car.

OP
OP

Luke Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
nope, my cars don’t break much, at least they don’t sound like they’re breaking while driving. Sure, I have blown motor mounts, snapped axle shafts, roasted clutches, and so on. I fix everything myself. I even mount and balance my own tires with my Coats tire machine and my Snap-On balancer (I have tools). It would be understandable if the car sounded like it was breaking while smoking the tires on dry pavement, but in mild rain when the boost comes in to play is not a normal time (for my experience at least) to have the engine sounding like its going to jump out of the hood. Just bought the Perrin inserts, we’ll see what that does. Thanks again for all your help, I do appreciate the feedback.
Sponsored