Bad Type R buying experience...

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Ill start by saying I fully understand that Covid 19 has changed the way dealerships operate but man oh man am I having a fun time with this Type R buying process.

My family has bought 4 Hondas within the last 3 years (not from this dealership) so I'm pretty familiar with how the process works and have been extremely satisfied with the way things went with those other Honda deals

jan 15th - Walked into my local Honda dealership (first time in this one) and inquired about returning my Lease on a Civic Hatch and rolling over the negative equity onto a 2020 type R. They appraised my hatch, made me an offer which I was given an extremely lowballed offer but understood because I am turning my hatch lease 3 years lease early.

Letting them know I was ok with the negative equity, they proceeded to order a 2020 type R for me and gave me an expected delivery date of April 2020. I made a deposit on the car that day and was excited for April to roll around.

Late March - Gave the dealership a call to see what the update was and how long my Type R would be delayed, They gave me a Honda order report which said my Car was delayed due to Covid and would arrive in-between May 8th-14th. Understood, walked away from the interaction a happy customer.

Here's where things start getting frustrating

Early May -
Called the dealership to get updates on the car, the front reception would just give me the "Honda has paused all manufacturing due to covid 19, blah blah blah" I would reply by saying Ive already received a VIN from the dealership so my car has already been manufactured... reception obviously had no idea what she was talking about and didn't look into the situation at all.

Went into the dealership 2 or 3 times to talk to one of the people ive been in touch with (manager of finance) there regarding interest rates/finance vs lease.

1. Every time I went in I would be told to wait because people are "in meetings" and I would see the people I was asking to talk to walking around doing nothing lol...they would tell me to wait 25-30 min before I can talk to someone

2. When I finally got face to face with this finance manager (this happened atleast 2 times) he would try his best to shoo me away as soon as possible and leave me with the "we cant discuss any details about the deal until the car is here physically, Literally a waste of my time to drive all the way to the dealership and get no details in return.

June 9th - Car finally arrived! Great, I was willing to bypass everything and just be happy that my car arrived.

My sales rep calls me saying the car arrived, I asked if I could come work out the details of the deal and he said no because they still have to do some freight and PDI stuff. Ok, I asked "can I atleast come see the car?" He said yes 100%, I went to the dealership that morning and got to see the car, Sales rep told me I could most likely get the delivery before Saturday.

June 10th - HONDA CANADA GETS HACKED! I called the dealership and they say they cant do any deliveries due to this hack.

TODAY (most pissed off about this) - I go in with a buddy of mine because the dealership called me and requested my previous ownership so they could transfer the plates.

I went in with the intentions of hopefully getting some more info on the details of the financing as well from the sales manager. I see the sales manager across the dealership and he gives me the peace sign because he recognizes me. When I go to reception and ask to speak with him they say "HE IS IN A MEETING AND CANT TALK TO YOU TODAY" Literal Avoidance

To add insult to injury - I asked my sales rep if I can get the keys to show the car to my friend and after waiting 10-15 min he said they lost my keys! LOL! wtf!

I'm not gonna expose the dealership name because this is my first time buying a type R and I'm not sure if this is normal process.

Do I have a bases to be upset on?
Do I have any rights?
What should I do/ask of my dealership?
I would find another dealership for the car now. I would be pissed of because if I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars, I wouldn't expect to be lied to once. Cant stand dealerships like this, they treat you like your buying chocolate bar instead of making a major financial decision with them.

DO leave an honest review on Google. These detailed reviews will encourage dealerships to smarten up how they treat their customers.
Sponsored

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Feel you pain with these damn dealerships! I just closed a deal for a 2020 SI now mind you what I’m going to say is from a BIG dealership!
First they told me they don’t have temp plates so I can’t drive away with the car that day. I said ok even tho I knew it sounded weird how can a big dealership not have temps?!? Then the biggest FU to me came shortly after. “You’ll have to set up a registration appointment yourself”!! Now mind you there’s none open Online for more than 5 months! On top of the fact it’s impossible to call in! So now I have 28 days to schedule an appointment BEFORE these 28 days are over or my deal gets voided!!
Why dont you speak to other dealerships and see if they can get it sooner then go with them instead?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I drove my car home an hour after it arrived at dealer. They did the pdi stuff while I did the paper work. That whole pdi and freight stuff is BS. All they gotta do mostly is take the shipping blocks out the front springs which takes 15 seconds on a lift. Lost keys? Was the car there while the keys were "lost"? or were the keys "lost" because they were in the car as its being driven around by an employee?

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
They are BSing you. Give it a couple of days and they’ll come out with the: “A new sales person accidentally sold your car”

DRTHVDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CivicX Hatch
Country flag
Nope. Just get your deposit back and walk away. In this economy and the cost of a type R they should be rolling out the red carpet. Walk away.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
You obviously aren’t bothered with the whole experience enough to walk away after they’ve blatantly mistreated you as the consumer... just finish off the deal (if they feel you’re worthy enough for them to do so), and go on about your life with your new R.

tofumann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type r
Country flag
Ill start by saying I fully understand that Covid 19 has changed the way dealerships operate but man oh man am I having a fun time with this Type R buying process.

My family has bought 4 Hondas within the last 3 years (not from this dealership) so I'm pretty familiar with how the process works and have been extremely satisfied with the way things went with those other Honda deals

jan 15th - Walked into my local Honda dealership (first time in this one) and inquired about returning my Lease on a Civic Hatch and rolling over the negative equity onto a 2020 type R. They appraised my hatch, made me an offer which I was given an extremely lowballed offer but understood because I am turning my hatch lease 3 years lease early.

Letting them know I was ok with the negative equity, they proceeded to order a 2020 type R for me and gave me an expected delivery date of April 2020. I made a deposit on the car that day and was excited for April to roll around.

Late March - Gave the dealership a call to see what the update was and how long my Type R would be delayed, They gave me a Honda order report which said my Car was delayed due to Covid and would arrive in-between May 8th-14th. Understood, walked away from the interaction a happy customer.

Here's where things start getting frustrating

Early May -
Called the dealership to get updates on the car, the front reception would just give me the "Honda has paused all manufacturing due to covid 19, blah blah blah" I would reply by saying Ive already received a VIN from the dealership so my car has already been manufactured... reception obviously had no idea what she was talking about and didn't look into the situation at all.

Went into the dealership 2 or 3 times to talk to one of the people ive been in touch with (manager of finance) there regarding interest rates/finance vs lease.

1. Every time I went in I would be told to wait because people are "in meetings" and I would see the people I was asking to talk to walking around doing nothing lol...they would tell me to wait 25-30 min before I can talk to someone

2. When I finally got face to face with this finance manager (this happened atleast 2 times) he would try his best to shoo me away as soon as possible and leave me with the "we cant discuss any details about the deal until the car is here physically, Literally a waste of my time to drive all the way to the dealership and get no details in return.

June 9th - Car finally arrived! Great, I was willing to bypass everything and just be happy that my car arrived.

My sales rep calls me saying the car arrived, I asked if I could come work out the details of the deal and he said no because they still have to do some freight and PDI stuff. Ok, I asked "can I atleast come see the car?" He said yes 100%, I went to the dealership that morning and got to see the car, Sales rep told me I could most likely get the delivery before Saturday.

June 10th - HONDA CANADA GETS HACKED! I called the dealership and they say they cant do any deliveries due to this hack.

TODAY (most pissed off about this) - I go in with a buddy of mine because the dealership called me and requested my previous ownership so they could transfer the plates.

I went in with the intentions of hopefully getting some more info on the details of the financing as well from the sales manager. I see the sales manager across the dealership and he gives me the peace sign because he recognizes me. When I go to reception and ask to speak with him they say "HE IS IN A MEETING AND CANT TALK TO YOU TODAY" Literal Avoidance

To add insult to injury - I asked my sales rep if I can get the keys to show the car to my friend and after waiting 10-15 min he said they lost my keys! LOL! wtf!

I'm not gonna expose the dealership name because this is my first time buying a type R and I'm not sure if this is normal process.

Do I have a bases to be upset on?
Do I have any rights?
What should I do/ask of my dealership?
When they told you they lost the keys, do you see the car sitting in your sight?
Sounds like a business that is a little un-organized for sure...

OP
OP

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
When they told you they lost the keys, do you see the car sitting in your sight?
Sounds like a business that is a little un-organized for sure...
yes i visited it, it was parked in the back

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Nope. Just get your deposit back and walk away. In this economy and the cost of a type R they should be rolling out the red carpet. Walk away.
Not only walk away, let's take another run at his idea of losing his ass

yes i visited it, it was parked in the back
Back out man, I am telling you this is a mistake.

At least do yourself a favor and post the actual numbers and specifics on this deal. I guarantee this place is fucking you straight in your face because you are shopping on a WANT and not a NEED. They have your emotions and they know it.

So. Please post your paperwork or numbers, including your trade in offer they gave you, and the rest of the deal including financing, fees, all of it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but if you still have time, let us look at these numbers and just show you what you are getting into financially.

I apologize if you've already done the math.

Itsawgood

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si energy green
Country flag

At least do yourself a favor and post the actual numbers and specifics on this deal. I guarantee this place is fucking you straight in your face because you are shopping on a WANT and not a NEED. They have your emotions and they know it.

So. Please post your paperwork or numbers, including your trade in offer they gave you, and the rest of the deal including financing, fees, all of it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but if you still have time, let us look at these numbers and just show you what you are getting into financially.

Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

OP
OP

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic

that's literally what ive been trying to discuss with people at the dealership. nobody will sit down with me and have a conversation.

ive done the math. Dealers in Canada cannot charge markup so I am basically getting the car for MSRP+Freight and PDI + Negative equity on my lease. As Honda loyalty I get a 1.9% interest rate on finance and Honda is offering an interest rate of 1% for leases due to covid 19.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that's literally what ive been trying to discuss with people at the dealership. nobody will sit down with me and have a conversation.
Well, approximately how much do you (think) you owe on your current Civic? How much were you planning to put down? Financing term length?

When I bought my CTR, the first thing I did was get pretty much all the numbers squared away - except - I thought i was going to get a lot more from my trade than I really did, which was my signal to back away. Emotions thought otherwise, so I went with it. Still, I had the ballpark estimate and it was fairly close minus the loss of trade in value. The fact they aren't even giving you numbers or anything makes me think they are a bunch of sleazebags.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag

ive done the math. Dealers in Canada cannot charge markup so I am basically getting the car for MSRP+Freight and PDI + Negative equity on my lease. As Honda loyalty I get a 1.9% interest rate on finance and Honda is offering an interest rate of 1% for leases due to covid 19.
Starting to see the picture. I am unfortunately in the US right now so I don't have eyes on how Canada does things for consumer protection, but if they can't charge a mark-up, it appears they're going to take some skin off you in the trade.

My friend, I understand that you have a strong desire to own the car but I've made this mistake in the past and allowed a dealership to control the transaction and they fucked me in every way they could and you won't see it until after you signed the life away.

What I am having a hard time with here is that I am sensing from other Canadians in here that this is ESPECIALLY egregious behavior given how Canada operates in these areas. Let me be clear on one other part...did I read correctly that they have your car and your keys and you have no vehicle at all?

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
If there is no markup find another dealer or just wait. These guys have either a) promised the car to someone else who came in after you and want you out of the picture or b) Just really incompetent. What are their previous reviews like?

I mean what you could do is write the GM and CC Honda Canada on your email.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
"how Canada does things for consumer protection, "
So how is this protection working for the OP?
Seeems like his MSRP price is guaranteed, but nobody cares to actually lift their ass and sell the car. They don't see any reason to hurry because selling one R in a season for the MSRP is not where they make money. You just can't force people to work if they don't see enough incentive.

Btw. I don't say anyone should be like me, but I never bought a car for the MSRP and I never will. Cars sold for the MSRP and up are fancy cars sold in small numbers that are in a real or fake short supply, and I don't see why, oh why, ?? :dunno: would the individuals who wish to buy them deserve government price protection.
Sponsored