Bad reliability X gen Civic and Accord

JMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Honda Accord
Country flag
Hi all, This year I was planning to buy a X gen '21-'22 Honda Accord Sport with the 2.0T or an Accord Hybrid or a '20 Civic Si and was very disappointed to see the reliability score both in this web page and on Consumer reports. I was shocked to see that the X gen Accord and Civic scored that bad.
http://www.hondaproblems.com/worst/#by-model

Honda Civic 10th gen Bad reliability X gen Civic and Accord 20230324_190804

Honda Civic 10th gen Bad reliability X gen Civic and Accord 20230324_190818

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
41k and I have had zero issues with my Si. Most reliable car I have owned in 22 years of driving.

I lied, my god damn trunk spring broke, I don't see trunk related issues in the list lol.

Last edited:

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
I mean honestly that looks like a pretty good rating. The climate complaints are probably the A/C condenser issues which have an extended warranty. Honda paint is thin and weak, which is a known issue. Cars aren’t made like they used to be. If you take care of these cars they will last long, especially the drivetrain etc. My Si has 120k and besides the clutch it has been problem free, and that’s being tuned for 70k. I’d be more concerned about previous owner neglect or abuse than the inherent reliability. Unfortunately, that’s the gamble you take with a used car. Find a one owner private seller with records, that’s my advice. Don’t trust dealers.

OP
OP

JMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Honda Accord
Country flag
41k and I have had zero issues with my Si. Most reliable car I have owned in 22 years of driving. I lied, my god damn trunk spring broke, I don't see trunk related issues in the list lol.
Which year is your Si?

OP
OP

JMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Honda Accord
Country flag
Yes I think you are right, that web page "Honda Problems" is completely wrong. It place the 7th generation Honda Accord as the worst Honda of all times, and my perception is the opposite, I consider my 16 years old 2007 Honda Accord V6 with 157,000 miles to be the best dependable car that I have owned, received only basic maintenance and no big repairs needed during all this time. Marvelous engineering.

OP
OP

JMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Honda Accord
Country flag
For a long time I trusted Consumer Reports on my purchases, but first I noticed that the electronics that they recommended were not reliable and afterwards the electrodomestics like washing machines and dryers did not lasted and failed. Thinking that probably their car recommended section was going to be OK, but probably in the past they were right, now also is untrusted to me. Their only cars that they show as impeccable without issues are the Lexus, that is hard to believe.

Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
2020 Si Owner here. I have 27,000 miles on it.

I bought it in Sept 2021 from Carmax. It lasted 1,000 miles before the clutch went. Carmax replaced it (with a stock clutch).

Then I threw on an intake, down pipe, front pipe, intercooler with piping, sway bars, and a tune. The clutch lasted until 26,300 miles and blew up. I read sevral posts and watched videos from performance garages and the consensus appears that the stock clutches will start to go with the tiniest bit of torque.

The only issue I had so far were leaky wheel bearings which I had done when I replaced my clutch with the ACT Street Kit with SMF.

I noticed the A/C was rated poorly. While it works, it does take a bit for the car to cool down on warm days. I am sure the all black interior does not help things.

Beyond the clutch and wheel bearings, no problems yet.

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
2020 Si Owner here. I have 27,000 miles on it.

I bought it in Sept 2021 from Carmax. It lasted 1,000 miles before the clutch went. Carmax replaced it (with a stock clutch).

Then I threw on an intake, down pipe, front pipe, intercooler with piping, sway bars, and a tune. The clutch lasted until 26,300 miles and blew up. I read sevral posts and watched videos from performance garages and the consensus appears that the stock clutches will start to go with the tiniest bit of torque.

The only issue I had so far were leaky wheel bearings which I had done when I replaced my clutch with the ACT Street Kit with SMF.

I noticed the A/C was rated poorly. While it works, it does take a bit for the car to cool down on warm days. I am sure the all black interior does not help things.

Beyond the clutch and wheel bearings, no problems yet.
i got one of the unicorn clutches! 76k miles on my 2020 and it still holds stage 1+ in MAP 3. but only over like 4k rpms. if i build more rhan like 12lbs of boost under 4k, itll slip a bit. but morale of the story is, its lasted this long!

Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
i got one of the unicorn clutches! 76k miles on my 2020 and it still holds stage 1+ in MAP 3. but only over like 4k rpms. if i build more rhan like 12lbs of boost under 4k, itll slip a bit. but morale of the story is, its lasted this long!
I am happy for your luck! I would start looking for replacements as I am certain yours will go soon, not that I am trying to jinx anything.

I went through two stock clutches damn quick and it was enough to make me second guess myself and ask my mechanic to ride with me to see if I was screwing it. Turns out my stock clutches could not handle the torque from the tunes and added bolt ons.on.

Even with the ACT Street Kit, I have the RV6 retro flywheel with exedy stage 0 waiting in the wings but hopefully it won't be needed until after tens of thousands of miles.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Every car is gonna have its issues, especially used. Just gotta know what you might potentially encounter and if you're willing to deal with it.

I've had my 2016 for 7 years with 41K miles and haven't had an issue.

Reactions: JMM

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
I am happy for your luck! I would start looking for replacements as I am certain yours will go soon, not that I am trying to jinx anything.

I went through two stock clutches damn quick and it was enough to make me second guess myself and ask my mechanic to ride with me to see if I was screwing it. Turns out my stock clutches could not handle the torque from the tunes and added bolt ons.on.

Even with the ACT Street Kit, I have the RV6 retro flywheel with exedy stage 0 waiting in the wings but hopefully it won't be needed until after tens of thousands of miles.
oh i absolutely am waiting for it to go at any moment lolol. yea im gonna get the rv6 stage 1 combo!