Bad luck with this car- Rock chipped windshield cracked to the end

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
So i got a crack in the windshield the dreaded issue that seems to plague all Type R's. As if i needed more badluck with this car.

I made a glass claim with Geico and they are having safelight come out and see if they can repair it. Here is my question

If they have to replace it does Safelight know that Honda's come with Honda sensing? and you need a special windshield to replace it?

Has anyone delt with safelight repairing their crack in a windshield? It's beyond the point that they can repair it since they planned a tech to come out like 2 days after it happened smh.
Sponsored

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Sorry to hear man. I would avoid "repairing" it......just get it replaced and insist on an OEM windshield.

I went to safelite last month to replace the windshield on my 20 year old 4runner because it had a small chip in my field of vision that was annoying. Insisted I wanted an OEM replacement (no repair), got it approved from the insurance, and had it installed as soon as the windshield was delivered.

If I could get it done on a car that old with that little damage, you should be able to push for an OEM replacement easy. Costs nothing if you have comprehensive (at least here in MA).

Weud

First Name
Daoud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've had Safelite replace windshields on two different accords I've had, 2018 and 2019 respectively. Both with Honda sensing.
They were able to configure it and get it working just fine. It did cost me an extra $400 to get it calibrated.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Their systems know which cars do and do not have visions systems. My insurance (USAA) covered the alignment fee. You can get OEM labelled or not glass. I forget the name of the company that makes the OEM glass, but that is the same and just has a different label.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I believe the OEM glass manufacturer is Pilkington.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So Safelite confirmed Honda's use shitty glass for their windshields. They Do use glass that can work with Honda sensing thanks all for the reassurance. Ofcourse calibration is needed

ImMikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
I just got a chip in mine this weekend. Why not just have it fixed/filled? I trust the guy who will do it as I work at a dealership and our glass guy is really good ...

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
Mine only made it 1,200 miles before the windshield needed to be replaced. Insurance (Auto Owners') covered OEM replacement because the car was less than two years old. Since then i added OEM glass coverage to my policies.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got a chip in mine this weekend. Why not just have it fixed/filled? I trust the guy who will do it as I work at a dealership and our glass guy is really good ...
I would have rather had it repaired but the glass crack expanded almost to the middle of the windshield.

bearBare

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hear, and I feel your pain. It happened to me on the freeway minding my business cruising about 60 mph when I heard a loud bang. The next thing I saw was a hole on the windshield....and it grew almost immediately from side to side. Didn't even have time to have it checked to see if it could be filled.

The local installer did suggest to use aftermarket which is available, but I went with OEM.
Installation and cost = $1,300. Pricey, but OEM is my personal preference. Either way, the sensors need to be calibrated.

Hope that your installation goes well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bad luck with this car- Rock chipped windshield cracked to the end CTR rock chip 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Bad luck with this car- Rock chipped windshield cracked to the end CTR rock chip 2

ImMikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Sorry to hear, and I feel your pain. It happened to me on the freeway minding my business cruising about 60 mph when I heard a loud bang. The next thing I saw was a hole on the windshield....and it grew almost immediately from side to side. Didn't even have time to have it checked to see if it could be filled.

The local installer did suggest to use aftermarket which is available, but I went with OEM.
Installation and cost = $1,300. Pricey, but OEM is my personal preference. Either way, the sensors need to be calibrated.

Hope that your installation goes well.

CTR rock chip 1.jpg

CTR rock chip 2.jpg
Did you not have insurance coverage? That seems pretty pricy.

I wound up submitting mine to insurance (I have zero$ deductible) and got it approved to have an OEM replacement which I requested. Hopefully it'll be done in about a week.

EDIT: I work at a dealership, and had our glass guy try to fill it first. The minute he started it began to spider ;/ the worst part for me now tho is I have to go have it re-coated and re-tinted :(

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda windshields are shitty why can't we have better glass?

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd honestly pay for better glass

bearBare

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you not have insurance coverage? That seems pretty pricy.

I wound up submitting mine to insurance (I have zero$ deductible) and got it approved to have an OEM replacement which I requested. Hopefully it'll be done in about a week.

EDIT: I work at a dealership, and had our glass guy try to fill it first. The minute he started it began to spider ;/ the worst part for me now tho is I have to go have it re-coated and re-tinted :(
I was travelling on Company time to visit a client, and asked for reimbursement which was approved. Yes, you reminded me that I originally installed 3M Crystalline CR70 on the front windshield that needed to be done again which added $250 to the total replacement.

I'm curious if anyone have any experience with an exterior protection film to try and prevent rock chips? Driving around LA is bound to happen, especially sharing the freeway with those dump trucks carrying gravel/rocks with no cover. A mess waiting to happen!

Last edited:

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This happened to me as well back in 2019. Safelite replaced it and recalibrated it with OEM windshield. I paid $100 deductible.
Honda Civic 10th gen Bad luck with this car- Rock chipped windshield cracked to the end 1643151823842

Honda Civic 10th gen Bad luck with this car- Rock chipped windshield cracked to the end 1643151835948