majorfutz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I’m getting 26 MPG on a 2018 EX Civic with stock tune, is that because I rev too much or could there be a problem? Car also grinds a bit in low gear (L on the stick) and makes some whirring noises.
Sponsored

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
26 miles per gallon seems about right. Try to stay out of boost and try not to lose too much momentum when following cars or going uphill.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I’m getting 26 MPG on a 2018 EX Civic with stock tune, is that because I rev too much or could there be a problem? Car also grinds a bit in low gear (L on the stick) and makes some whirring noises.
These cars get about 20 to 30 mpg in the city depending on how congested your city is and how far you drive. The shorter the commute, the lower your mileage will be. They do get a genuine 40 mpg on the highway if you keep it below 75 mph and if you hyper-mile (minimize use of the brakes, go soft on the accelerator, coast downhill and drive at 55 mph) you can approach 50 mpg.

The problem is that there are a lot of people who like to brag on the internet. They exaggerate their mileage, usually by claiming that their highway mileage is what they get in mixed driving. This leaves other people wondering why they are getting such poor mileage.

26 mpg is about what you should expect if most of your driving is in the city. Make sure that your tires are not under-inflated, stay out of "L" or "S" on the tranny, turn off the aircon and go easy on the accelerator to add one or two mpgs.

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Bwahahaaa II road trip around Ontario.... I saw 51.7mpg on one hour long stretch... wished I grabbed a photo...Si TSP Stage 1 tune. Running map 1.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bad Gas Milage 5EA8EBDC-76F3-4C84-B689-EC5B7DFBCF1B

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I just did a trip of 75% highway and 25% and averaged 5L/100km or 47mpg. I drive an Si tsp stage 1. My brother's Si doesn't get as good of mileage so I'm starting to think it's just the way I drive. I'm just always very aware of my throttle inputs, staying out of boost, and choosing the right gear to cruise in.

JamesV1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Highway is better than advertised on my 16 LX
I can get 55mpg easy but thats at 55mph straight with good steel wheels.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I’m getting 26 MPG on a 2018 EX Civic with stock tune
If this is all city driving, this is completely normal. My EX sedan (2.0NA) only gets that when strictly in the city and when it is winter up here, it is as low as 23 mpg. Highway is easily in the 43/44 mpg range and only a little lower than that when it is winter.

My mixed driving when not the winter only averages 30 mpg.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
It’s your driving habits. When I first got my sport MT, I was averaging 26-29ish. Recently I’ve changed my driving habits for the most part, and I can get 29-31ish city, and 35+ on the highway/freeway depending on where I’m going.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
City driving MPG varies a lot. Mine hovers between 26 to 30 MPG.

I'd compare actual hwy MPG vs. rated hwy MPG.

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic LX
Country flag
The 1st 1000 miles I averaged 36.X
After that I started using ECON and it bumped up to 38.X only been 200 miles since I started though.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Recently I’ve changed my driving habits for the most part, and I can get 29-31ish city
I think this change is more likely like it was for me and it is that you are more used to your new toy and aren't whipping it everywhere quite as much. I'm an aggressive driver even after growing up and getting a lot of tickets as a young man so I had a lot of fun with this car as it is the best power to weight ratio car I have owned so far. Once that got old, I drive more sedately most of the time. (I expect that to change for a bit again after I finally get around to some ktuner fun though :) )