Backup Camera Alternatives

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I made a post about 2 years ago after going through two backup cameras that were both covered under the factory warranty. As expected, the issue is happening again however I have managed to delay it by keeping it clean and with rain-x and a microfiber cloth. The warranty for the cameras has expired and the dealership will not cover a replacement.
Original thread: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/blurry-backup-camera.33111/

The part number is 39530-TBA-A11 and the install seems pretty straight forward however I'm sure the same issue will happen again at a later date. The dealership is charging $215 for the part. Has anyone come across any aftermarket or perhaps an updated camera from a newer model that can handle the weather elements better than this one?

I found the part I currently have installed here that's cheaper than the dealership but looking to see if other options are available.
https://parts.openroadhonda.com/oem-parts/honda-camera-assembly-rear-view-wide-39530tbaa11
Sponsored

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
did you end up replacing it ?
i'm thinking of doing the same. have you come across any tutorials on how to disassemble the backup camera on a sedan?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any updates on this?

Did anybody here ever upgraded the rear view camera to a better high resolution camera?

panmaciej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X, 1.5T
Country flag
Any updates on this?

Did anybody here ever upgraded the rear view camera to a better high resolution camera?
Most likely after marker camera will not work with factory head unit. So you would need an after market head unit too.

OP
OP
mjdecker

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still no one here, who replaced the rear view camera with a higher res camera?

This seems like a good aftermarket replacement, they say "This is a high-quality aftermarket replacement part manufactured by WXZOS.":

https://www.amazon.ca/39530-TBA-A01-BackUp-Parking-Camera-2014-2019/dp/B09GB7B3PJ
So far, the last (3rd by dealership) replacement from 2019 has been holding up decently. I try my best to keep it clean in rain or snow.

that being said, I haven't searched in a while and seems there's more aftermarket options available now so I'll keep it in mind should I need to replace it.

I do have to scratch my head at this part in the description for a backup camera "It can replace the old or damaged Rear View BackUp Parking Camera , making your car more brand-new and beautiful." :crazy:

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Given the HU screen is only 800 x 480
how much difference could an updated camera make?

I was also thinking that our headunit CPU or video processor might choke on higher resolutions, but I'm unclear how exactly it is handled internally

Reminder how the stock HU reverse works & looks

vs.

Joying backup camera & headunit,
this review focuses on their Reverse camera operation

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Given the HU screen is only 800 x 480
how much difference could an updated camera make?

I was also thinking that our headunit CPU or video processor might choke on higher resolutions, but I'm unclear how exactly it is handled internally
That's a good question. I'd assume it will still make a big difference. The backup camera seems like 426 x 240 pixels. If you watch a video on the head unit from your USB drive or YouTube, the video quality doesn't seem as bad.

Just from comparing these two videos you posted, the Joying backup camera seems like it has a higher resolution and you can see a lot more details:

Honda Civic 10th gen Backup Camera Alternatives InShot_20240219_095521923

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is another video, about someone replacing the backup camera on his Civic sedan. He just bought a replacement camera, so he didn't had to mess around with all the wiring:

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Here is another video, about someone replacing the backup camera on his Civic sedan. He just bought a replacement camera, so he didn't had to mess around with all the wiring:

This video didn’t show much at all. Wish it was more elaborate. Amazon has direct replacements for $50 and AliExpress is $25 ish. I’m in the same boat. I was going to change it last year because I noticed in the winter of 2022/23. It started fogging up but last summer it cleared up really nicely this winter it didn’t fog up much at all until now.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Bricso
It did indeed not show much at all, but I still found it to be helpful.

Here is a better video of someone, who shows how it's done on an Honda Accord. Not a Civic, but the steps are quite similar to replacing the backup camera on a Civic. Maybe that'll help you:

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Bricso
It did indeed not show much at all, but I still found it to be helpful.

Here is a better video of someone, who shows how it's done on an Honda Accord. Not a Civic, but the steps are quite similar to replacing the backup camera on a Civic. Maybe that'll help you:

I did see that one but it’s not comparable. You could see the back of the camera where he was working where ours is in a plastic housing attached to the outside of the trunk. I’ve heard of people cracking the part when taking them off, but I’ve also heard it done successfully. I’ve never seen how anybody did it though.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m trying to look back but someone on the joying forum wired the gf camera to the OEM car wiring to work with the joying HU instead of running the wires. It is doable but not sure what difference it would make.
Sponsored