kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
That's why I love running the new Phearable 1.5R tune. It eliminates the artificial knock rise.
i really like it too lol, i thought it might have been the cause though.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
i really like it too lol, i thought it might have been the cause though.
Nah... not at all. That tune is near perfect. But ideally if you run the 1.5R version, add a gallon of E85 to your 91 to avoid the high-ish knock control spikes.

The difference between the 1.5R and the TSP 1 is mostly that removal of the artificial kc rise. It means repeatable power. With TSP 1 once you go above 5200 rpm and kc jumps up, you'll lose power until it drops back down because it pulls back on timing.

OP
OP

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nah... not at all. That tune is near perfect. But ideally if you run the 1.5R version, add a gallon of E85 to your 91 to avoid the high-ish knock control spikes.

The difference between the 1.5R and the TSP 1 is mostly that removal of the artificial kc rise. It means repeatable power. With TSP 1 once you go above 5200 rpm and kc jumps up, you'll lose power until it drops back down because it pulls back on timing.
all that is immediately noticeable. i love the akc removal. i guess ill go back to the phearable tune.

I live near sonoma raceway, they have 100oct for sale. i dont think there is anything else nearby that has e85

can you explain how to use the auto log?

also, is it just me or does the vsa disable in the ktuner not do anything?

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
all that is immediately noticeable. i love the akc removal. i guess ill go back to the phearable tune.

I live near sonoma raceway, they have 100oct for sale. i dont think there is anything else nearby that has e85

can you explain how to use the auto log?

also, is it just me or does the vsa disable in the ktuner not do anything?
With it plugged into the computer, go to Onboard Logging --> settings.... My activation / deactivation isn't the best setting. I pretty much let it log all the time as it has more than enough memory.

So when the Ktuner is plugged in to the OBD port, it will log and you can pull it off the Ktuner anytime there is an issue. Mine is empty as I recently erased everything, even though it was only at 4% full

Honda Civic 10th gen Backfire under wot :-( 1633919044393

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
His KC jumped up like that because Honda, in their wisdom lol, babysits the 1.5T in the non-Si with an artificial built in knock control rise above 5200 rpm. It's not based on any real issue. Also as I mentioned earlier, all OTS tunes like the TSP he's running were created on 93, he runs 91.

That's why I love running the new Phearable 1.5R tune. It eliminates the artificial knock rise. The Ktuner starter tunes have that feature too but the TSP1 and Phearable 1.5 don't.
Ah I see, I'm accustom to 0.50 max on Sunoco 94 and under 0.60 on Shell 91 on my SI. lol

OP
OP

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With it plugged into the computer, go to Onboard Logging --> settings.... My activation / deactivation isn't the best setting. I pretty much let it log all the time as it has more than enough memory.

So when the Ktuner is plugged in to the OBD port, it will log and you can pull it off the Ktuner anytime there is an issue. Mine is empty as I recently erased everything, even though it was only at 4% full

1633919044393.png
how do you know which one is the correct log?

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
how do you know which one is the correct log?
From what I can tell, with how I have it setup, key on to key off is a new session. Also when you download it will have the date and time at the start of the log. Remember the time, you should be good

Honda Civic 10th gen Backfire under wot :-( 1633965564656

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically your log looked pretty darn good. Things like your IATs, ECTs etc were very good. You hit all your boost targets. Knock control was jumpy at WOT but that's the non-Si artificial knock rise and the fact I think you're using 91 on a tune that does better on 93. Long term fuel trims were good (ever so slightly rich, perfectly fine). There were times STFTs were in the teens but honestly that's just the ECU doing it's job.

Capture.GIF

I wonder if it was just low back pressure pops and gurgles they mistook as a ā€˜backfireā€™?
And you're certain it was backfiring you heard?

OP
OP

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I've used this as poor justification to spring for ignition project coil packs. I have a hunch (hope :-( lol ) that one of them must be starting to go bad under high load.

We'll see after my clutch is installed and broken in. Going to order some new plugs too, though I did have them out maybe 5k ago, they looked fine and the gaps were still good.

Nazeem

Banned
Banned
First Name
Nazeem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Hello all

a few times now now my car has made a backfire type sound followed by a rise in knock count by 3 the first time and 1-2 times when itā€™s happened since.

car Is a 2020 civic sport hatch with all Prl bolt ons and a full invidia 70mm turbo back exhaus. 24k miles. Currently the clutch also slips, going in for a new clutch/flywheel this next Thursday.

Recent changes prior to the backfire issue under wot, Prl turbo inlet install, and invidia catted 70mm downpipe. Also changed from the Tsp tune to the new phearable race tune.

since the problem first started I filled my tank at my usual gas station and changed the tune back to tsp. The back fire happened again today.

any suggestions?
Are you sure it wasn't an over rev hitting redline?

Daymon159

First Name
Daymon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ext
Country flag
Run a datalog and post it (.kdlg format in a zip file). Do about 10+ minutes of driving plus a pull.

Btw, a knock count of 3 is basically nothing.

I'll take a look at it. That's one of the perks of having your car in the tuning reliability thread... free datalog readings.
Would you be able to look at a data log for me as well? Same issue. 3000rpm backfireing for no reason, ktuner 21psi. Can I send you a full datalog?
Sponsored