Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t do that anymore.
Causes sciatica and severe ass cheek pain.
Ditching the wallet from the back pants pocket has been a real game changer for this semi-old fart.
I find the seats in my Touring to be very comfortable even on long road trips.
Sponsored

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I have the Civic Touring and I have back pain. OP, I'm about your body type. I only get uncomfortable on highway trips longer than an hour though. No problems otherwise. I am tempted to get some aftermarket seats like Sparco or Recaro or whatever.

Robin

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have the Civic Touring and I have back pain. OP, I'm about your body type. I only get uncomfortable on highway trips longer than an hour though. No problems otherwise. I am tempted to get some aftermarket seats like Sparco or Recaro or whatever.
Have you tried a Civic without the sunroof? I am 6 foot 1 and I just can’t get comfortable in my hatchback sport. I suspect the sunroof in my car forces me to sit too low. First I tried every seat height and angle, then I tried cushions to change the angles. finally I placed some washers through the rear seat bolts to flatten the seat bottom angle.
I just tried a hatch without the sunroof and now I see the problem. There is 2 inches more headroom and that makes all the difference to cushion angles.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm looking for suggestions on how to correct my backpain before resulting to trading in the car and loosing ~$4k in the process.

I've had my 2018 Civic Sport since August and have 5600 miles on it. I have never experienced back pain until purchasing this car. I've tried high/low, vertical/reclined seating positions and cannot seem to correct the issue.

I took a break from driving the vehicle for about about 10 days (returned to my Saab) and the pain went away. After driving the Civic again for a day the pain has returned.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I really enjoy the car all things considered, but I can't spend the next 10 years with lower back pain.

Just to tell you my build, I'm 6'0" 140lbs fit male, so I don't think my core strength is the problem. Most likely I think I am sitting wrong on a posterior muscle that is then registering as ""back pain".
do you sit with your wallet in your pocket? because that can cause back pains, i had that issue in a pickup i used to own started to remove my wallet before i got in and the pain went away

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Have you tried a Civic without the sunroof? I am 6 foot 1 and I just can’t get comfortable in my hatchback sport. I suspect the sunroof in my car forces me to sit too low. First I tried every seat height and angle, then I tried cushions to change the angles. finally I placed some washers through the rear seat bolts to flatten the seat bottom angle.
I just tried a hatch without the sunroof and now I see the problem. There is 2 inches more headroom and that makes all the difference to cushion angles.
My solution for long trips is to lower the seat height as much as possible and then angle up the thigh rest to increase thigh support. Then I slouch. This is perfectly fine for about 2 hours of highway driving until the lumbar pain reappears. It's something I live with, a minor nuisance.

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
The only aches I get from my car are located at my inner thighs. I’m fine as long as I have my seat way back so that my legs are relatively straight. The only problem with this however is I feel like I’m reaching too far for the wheel. I wish it telescoped out about 3 more inches.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I've ditched the wallet, added a folded towel on the seat. I just can't comprehend why Honda cannot manage to add adjustable lumbar support to, at least , the higher grade cars, Ie: Ex & Touring!

IaAsk

First Name
Bengt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus hb
Country flag
I have highted the front of the seat about 1 cm. Now its much more support for me

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The most comfortable seating position for me in the Si is with the seat barely tilted back at all. It's also the best seating position for driving in a... spirited manner

Bmorecivic

Bmore turbo civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport
Country flag
My pain is work related but sitting in this car for more than 30 minutes makes it worse. I sat in my moms 03' Grand Marquis the other day and the lumbar support was amazing. I'm 32 and 6'3" 220lbs, this car makes me feel like an old man when I climb out of it. I think the seats in this are designed for a 5' person, not us tall people. The only thing I found helpful is stretching everyday, strength training, naproxen when needed, and going for long walks. Also, got a back brace on Amazon for $20 that really helps out.
Agree. I’m 6’4 & every time I get out my hb sport I go “”uhhhmmmm” like a grandfather

OP
OP

mgb0002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
I do remove my wallet on longer trips, but I have a slim "card only" type wallet. I'll try removing it for every drive though.

I was going to ask with the leather adjustable seats are any better, but it seems like people are having issues with those as well. I'm willing to swap my cloth seats if the power leather is better.

OP
OP

mgb0002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
The only aches I get from my car are located at my inner thighs. I’m fine as long as I have my seat way back so that my legs are relatively straight. The only problem with this however is I feel like I’m reaching too far for the wheel. I wish it telescoped out about 3 more inches.
I think this is part of the problem too. My legs are always bent when driving because I need to sit close enough to operate the clutch.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I always have my seat racked out as far as I can reach. Also the back is reclined from upright. I can’t believe how close to the steering wheel and how upright some people adjust their seats, even though they are as tall or taller than me. I also have the seat set low. I wouldn’t mind a higher driving position, but I just love space too much and don’t tolerate being confined.

On long trips though, I change positions. Long trips for me are like driving 10 hours a day for 2000 miles to UT. Or at least TX.

OP
OP

mgb0002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
I snagged a pair of front power leather seats w/ airbags for $350! We'll see if it helps. They probably won't be in until end of next week.