Back pain from the Civic's seats?

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just saw this thread. Not in the civic, but in my last Camry I used a honeycomb shaped gel pad that was meant to be used for sitting on an office chair and I put it behind my back instead and it worked a treat to spread the weight on my back and worked like a charm. Picked it up cheaply at a pop up shop within the mall ??

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
I’ve got an SI (I came from a fully loaded sonata turbo with leather) and the sport seats were a tough adjustment at first. Once I realized I had a shitty seating position and fixed it,I’ve been good. I found a guide online to find the best proper seating and it helped a lot. I regularly take 8 hour trips also

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Once I realized I had a shitty seating position and fixed it,I’ve been good.
Between that and me finally losing some weight, I have been very comfortable for the last 2 years in mine. MAYBE it could use a little bit of lumbar but I had it on an 800 mile round trip just before Christmas and had no issues.

Nasif_r

First Name
Nasif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020
Country flag
does anyone have any solution for this problem? I bought my civic EXI 1 month 3 weeks ago and my back and thighs are is hurting after 20 mins of driving. I also have the same problem as Edina. I always set the lumbar to 0 in cars with lumbar adjustment. lumbar support is very uncomfortable for me and in my civic, I feel it has too much lumbar support by default without any adjustment. i spoke to one of the upholstery guys to remove the lumbar, but I'm worried it might bring some other problems with it. has anyone managed to solve this problem?

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
owner of civic sport 2018, seat sucks, hard to find decent spot, any kind of aggresive driving
and my ass slide around the seat... and i am 6ft 220lbs... and no mater how i seat there is always something bothering me on my left thigh...

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I have an EX-L with leather & a power seat which should be the same or very similar to the Touring seat. It took some tweaking to get it reasonable comfortable. I don't know what the lumbar is adjusted to but don't want to change it because I'll probably never get it back to where it's at now.

I find is a lot of seats lack proper thigh support & make me feel like I'm sitting on the edge of a picnic table bench. The thigh is not properly supported which in turn throws the spine out of wack, at least that's the best way I can describe it.

This seems to be more of a problem with smaller cars because they appear to use smaller seats. A power seat helps because most let you adjust the height & tilt of the seat cushion. You just have to keep adjusting the seat & hopefully find a position that works.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I sort of stumbled on this thread...

So I had a '18 SI and loved the seats in that car. My most recent car however was a '19 GTI with the most comfortable seats EVER. Then I traded that in for a '14 civic Si (for a few reasons..). The car is awesome but I hated the seats after a few days of owning it. I found that it had unadjustable lumbar and figured thats what was bothering me. I never ever use lumbar. Rarely will I ever set it to anything but 0 (on the GTI I used a tiny tiny tiny bit of it).

So I set out to try and fix my seat. There is a bar running from left to right that when you press against it, some springs get pulled and cause something else to push the seat out against you. It creates like this automatic lumbar that gets very uncomfortable (for me).

Now this is on a 9th gen, I dont know if its the same on the 10th gen. I unzipped my seat cover on the back and found this rod (its like a clothes hanger and looks bent like a rear swaybar) and I removed it and it caused my back pain to disappear!

Here is where I found the fix to my seat.. A few people complained that the 9th gen seats would make a pop sound.. I never had that issue, I just hated the full lumbar pushing me forward.

https://www.9thgencivic.com/threads/si-drivers-seat-pop-sound-annoying.6117/page-5#post-493081

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My mid back hurts on the right. I felt the seat and there’s a gd spring there? Why isn’t it covered by foam? How did this spring pop out? The cars a hard enough ride with 18” wheels but this is too much. Maybe I’m getting old, approaching 50

Ja87sm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ex-t 6mt
Country flag
Started out the same way for me, I like many reclined the seat more and adjusted the bottom angle and it’s fine now

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
I've got no back pain in my 2018 executive with leather seats and electric lumbar. I'm 6 foot 4 and around 200 lbs. Even after 6 hours of driving without taking a break, i don't feel any pain except the ones in my legs because of the ridicilous small thigh support.
In fact, the seat is way better then the one found in a M3/M4, VW Golf,... for the reason that they have a really bad lumbar support (it's like the edge of a triangle sticking into my back) and almost no foam inside ("sporty or race car inspired, lightweight seat"). I had to take a break after 2 hours in every rental VW (or Seat or Skoda) car since my butt is starting to hurt.

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
I stumbled across this thread, and I thought I was the only one with complaints about the seats. 2018 Sport Hatch and the lack of thigh support, after reading everyone’s issues I should try and readjusting my seat for a better position.

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You know what I found out today? The whole piece of foam in the right side is detached, and just a straight metal bar and springs are there!!! No wonder my back is jacked up!!!
This is going into Honda yet again for warranty coverage.

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You know what it was, I unzipped the back of the seat. The foam had completely ripped through so the frame was sticking through. Not impressed. I’m sure it won’t get covered because it’s wear and tear. This may be the last civic I buy ever

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The lack of thigh support is a problem for me & it seems most small cars have this issue & it bothers my leg. Having a power seat where I can adjust the tilt of the seat cushion really helps.
Sponsored