B4 service ?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
The B4 service code just popped up on my car. I have about 102,000 miles on it so far. The items are:

Replace spark plugs, timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect valve clearance.

The spark plugs are easy enough and I am familiar with it and how to do it. In the past for my prior car, I did them usually every 100k miles. The other 2 items (timing belt, valve adjustment) are these needed ? The service person said my valve cover had a leak and there was some oil around the edges when you look at the engine from the front of the car. It looks like dirt and soot, but I suppose if there is a leak it isn't that bad b/c my oil levels are not dropping significantly between oil changes.

Is this something I need to do for the other 2 items ? The dealer is asking for over a grand for all these items which is pretty high and to be expected. Other than the plugs, I was just planning on ignoring the other 2 items. The plugs I may even do at 130,000 miles or a bit later.

Trying to recover the 'ol cash pile after the holiday season.

Thanks
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
You don't have a timing belt, and unless your valves are extremely noisy, you don't need a valve adjustment. The only bad thing about a small oil leak is if it leaks into your starter. But if it isn't then don't worry about it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I'll replace serpentine belt and spark plug, forget the valves

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Doing the water pump and timing chain are more of a preventative maintenance cause 100k is a decent amount of mileage now. Chains typically don’t snap like a timing belt would but the links stretch and tensioners wear out leading to chain slap on the guides. The valves need to be within spec to perform its best so regardless if they make noise or not you should at the very least have the clearances checked to see if they are in spec. Most the time you may have only a few out of spec. If you don’t plan on keeping the car for long then go with your plan of omitting the timing chain and valve adjustment but if you want the motor to run tip top shape I would do the services or get them done in your case

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Doing the water pump and timing chain are more of a preventative maintenance cause 100k is a decent amount of mileage now. Chains typically don’t snap like a timing belt would but the links stretch and tensioners wear out leading to chain slap on the guides. The valves need to be within spec to perform its best so regardless if they make noise or not you should at the very least have the clearances checked to see if they are in spec. Most the time you may have only a few out of spec. If you don’t plan on keeping the car for long then go with your plan of omitting the timing chain and valve adjustment but if you want the motor to run tip top shape I would do the services or get them done in your case
Thanks for the feedback. Will try and tackle each item individually. Will take care of the plugs first, but the valve issue I was unaware of also the chain. I assumed chains were not a problem b/c they were not belts but that makes sense.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Your head cover gasket should be replaced by the dealer, it's part of the warranty of the power train. If it's not replaced you'll need a new starter soon because the oil is dripping on the starter.
Search this forum for valve cover leaking.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I had issues uploading photos but here are some that I took. It was indoors and I had to use a flashlight. I can take additional photos if needed.

Can someone tell me where the leak is? Unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't see one?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Can someone tell me where the leak is? Unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't.
Have you checked the bottom of the engine? Oil will follow gravity and should be more obvious on the bottom. You will have to remove the plastic shield, though. But if it's a small leak, you may not see it on the bottom, either. In that case don't worry about it.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
To post pictures easily, copy the picture, not the link, and paste it directly into the post. Or you can click the photo icon and find the photo and it will copy it into the post.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Timing chains typically are good for 170-200k miles before even becoming an issue so I wouldn't worry about it. I did the original spark plugs at 65k(100k km) just because I've heard of plugs breaking in the engine but they came out very easily and didn't seem worn. I'd def do them at 100k miles before they decide to remain there permanently. Oil leaks as others said probably should be done but it's not a big issue if it's just a wet spot that doesn't leak yet. I can't see anything from the pics you linked but I can't blow them up either.
Sponsored