B3 code with 30% oil life left, 12k miles Civic 2017 EXT

fallenicarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Country flag
Is there a reason why I should expect to get a B3 code on the service screen when I am only 12k miles on the odometer? That seems like an insanely low value - I still have 30% oil life left according to the car, even though the dealer sticker was set to 10k miles.
Sponsored

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
whats b3? oil change?

OP
OP

fallenicarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Country flag
whats b3? oil change?
B3 means transmission fluid change apparently.

• B – Means to replace engine oil and oil filter. Also inspect various systems and components (see applicable service manual for details).
  • 3 – Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
~6-7500k per oil change sounds right... which is what your seeing.

~15k for the transmission fluid seems short... but Honda does tend to have drain/fill cycles on the short side. While not exactly the same, my 6 speed automatic equipped Odyssey needs it every ~30k. I've seen some cars range from 60-100k per change. I've even seen a few (GM) claim their ATs are sealed and no changes necessary... which makes for a disposable car that can't be maintained, to me.

Some folks can go about 2x as long on their engine oil as others based on driving style and environmental factors. I was at 10% and 7600 and could have easily cleared 8k w/o zeroing out. Hopefully you'll get the CVT crowd to chime in... but yeah, it seems short compared to other ATs I'm familiar with.

I'd like to say the MM is robust and gives good data. Any decision to not follow it (ie skip a ~15k mile CVT drain/fill) should get run by from Honda and gave them do the reset and provide you that it wasn't needed in writing to avoid any warranty concerns down the road. I do my own ATF changes and I assume the CVT is just as easy. It's no harder than a engine oil change... you just get a narrow funnel and fill through where the ATF dipstick is. Put in what you take out and measure level running at temp for ATs... but, again, no CVT here.

Good luck.

2018wvcivic

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic ex hatch
I am at almost 21000 on a 2018 civic hatchback with cvt and just got the b1 code. This will be 2nd oil change since new.Goes in Monday for service,1st service was free from my dealer. This one I pay also having state inspection done.
Sponsored