B1 Maintenance Service ?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just got a B1 Maintenance Minder notification and I looked at what items are supposed to be serviced per the Owner's Manual. My dealer has an online "B Maintenance Service" discount coupon for $137.95 plus tax & hazmat. It includes "Cleaning/Lubrication of Brake Components" an item which I don't see listed in the Owner's manual.

I called the dealer & was told they clean up the brake dust & lube the sliding parts. Obviously this is more than just inspecting these items as per the manual. I've always done my own brakes & lubed where required. But I never removed & lubed parts every year, for example, for no apparent reason.

Is this just a money grab for the dealer? Or are Civic brakes notorious for sticking/acting up & the dealer is truly being proactive?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have done that myself on the Civic when bleeding the brakes and found that it results, temporarily, in an increased initial bite when braking. For a while you get the feeling that the brakes are working better with more precise control. It doesn't last very long, and it doesn't really effect the braking power.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
It’s more of a preventative maintenance than a routine maintenance. Is it needed yearly? No. Is it good to do? Yeah sure doesn’t hurt the car or braking system to do. It’s just to prolong brake components like brake hardware, pins, prevents sticking pads... but that being said no it’s not really needed

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm not trying to be cheap, but this makes me think of articles I've read where customers are told they need work done such as having the injectors cleaned because the car has reached a certain mileage. I've always done my own work when possible & never take my car to the dealer. Just thought I'd treat myself for a change & let someone else do the work.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The dealer sent me a video (not theirs) showing what they do for a B1 service. Apparently other dealers are taking apart & lubing parts.. The video showed the tech using a box end wrench to tighten the caliper bolts. I asked my dealer if they used a torque wrench because this is a safety item. He said no, they used impact wrenches that are calibrated. That's the first time in all my years working in the automobile field that I've heard using an impact wrench is the proper way to torque a bolt.

afkrejci90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT - 02 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Don't waste your money, the components will get fresh parts and lubricated when the pads get changed. Never had a vehicle that needed the brake components to be relubricated. Just get ceramic pads when you change the pads and there wont be any more dust that "needs to be cleaned".

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Don't waste your money, the components will get fresh parts and lubricated when the pads get changed. Never had a vehicle that needed the brake components to be relubricated. Just get ceramic pads when you change the pads and there wont be any more dust that "needs to be cleaned".
The cleaning & lubing part made me question if that was a normal part of the B1 "inspection". I say that because the video is from another dealer, IOW my dealer is not alone. I previously called another dealer & got a price similar to my dealer, so I presumed they must be doing about the same amount of work. Unfortunately I didn't ask if they took the calipers off & lubed them. My dealer said they'll do whatever I want.

I've always worked on my own cars, but feel less like doing it as time goes on, hence I'm going to the dealer. I still plan on doing my own brakes when needed because I don't need to crawl under the car for that.
Sponsored