B maintenance cost

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
how much should b maintenance cost at a dealership? Can’t decide whether to go dealer or mechanic
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how much should b maintenance cost at a dealership? Can’t decide whether to go dealer or mechanic
Don't have an exact price since it varies everywhere but it's an oil and filter change plus tire rotation. Shouldn't be all that expensive - about $100 tops - IIRC. I took it to a dealer and did it through the Express Service and was in and out in an hour.

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
You think $100 for a crappy oil change and rotation isn’t “all that expensive”?
I sure think it is. It’s robbery IMO.

Victor1507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
The maintenance item B (oil and filter change) costs $44.95 at my Honda dealer. Tire rotation is another $20, so about $65 for an oil change and tire rotation.

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So B maintenance isn’t all that complex? I remember seeing in the manual that the list of items to “check” was rather extensive, could be mistaken though. My dealership has a “B Maintenance” option to select right in their site for around $100

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
So B maintenance isn’t all that complex? I remember seeing in the manual that the list of items to “check” was rather extensive, could be mistaken though. My dealership has a “B Maintenance” option to select right in their site for around $100
Technicians could care less about the "inspection" part, they just wanna change the oil and rotate tires and bam they're done.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Sounds like the driveway is the best place to go for A/B services.

Gm52380

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
It depends on the dealer, and what they are actually doing with that maintenance. My dealer will always do oil and filter change, regardless of A or B, and that runs about $35. I always opt to have the tires rotated, which brings it to about $55 out the door. At about 20,000 miles, they did a minor service which included removing all the brake components and cleaning and inspecting the entire system. That only cost me $120. IMO anything over about $45 for an oil change is a rip off. Shop around dealers.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
At about 20,000 miles, they did a minor service which included removing all the brake components and cleaning and inspecting the entire system. That only cost me $120
That doesn't sound right at all. Did they adjust your Johnson rod and replace the muffler bearings? Lol

JCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
A B1 service at a dealership will get you an oil and oil filter change, tire rotation, and this pretty little checklist.

Honda Civic 10th gen B maintenance cost C949C5C2-B1EB-4F14-B223-5EE364440E3D

Victor1507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
A B1 service at a dealership will get you an oil and oil filter change, tire rotation, and this pretty little checklist.

C949C5C2-B1EB-4F14-B223-5EE364440E3D.jpeg
I question the thoroughness of the "multi-point inspection." One time, they said my wipers were good, when they obviously needed to be replaced. Another time, they said my fluid levels were good, when the coolant was clearly low. I doubt they look at everything on that checklist.

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I question the thoroughness of the "multi-point inspection." One time, they said my wipers were good, when they obviously needed to be replaced. Another time, they said my fluid levels were good, when the coolant was clearly low. I doubt they look at everything on that checklist.
Yeah; but at least you’d have this paperwork to back up warranty ... my only reason for going to the dealer this time around

I do have a trusted local mechanic for oil/filters/tire rotation ... B seemed a little more complicated when I initially read the manual

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't have an exact price since it varies everywhere but it's an oil and filter change plus tire rotation. Shouldn't be all that expensive - about $100 tops - IIRC. I took it to a dealer and did it through the Express Service and was in and out in an hour.
Um, you can get a free tire rotation at any Discount Tire for sure, and probably at many other tire chains as well. No need to pay for tire rotation. The oil change and filter- I have had it done at the dealer only because they also do a good check on the car and will immediately fix anything under warranty.
I am not a mechanic exactly,but it is amazing what a minor - and I do mean minor - bit of effort will save you. Last time I was due for a new cabin ('dust/pollen') filter. Cost online for OEM part, delivered: $ 23. Time to install -no tools needed - about 90 seconds. Most of that time was just emptying the glove box and putting stuff back in once I switched out the filter. Cost for an installed cabin filter from the dealer? I seem to remember it was well more than double that amount.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Um, you can get a free tire rotation at any Discount Tire for sure, and probably at many other tire chains as well. No need to pay for tire rotation. The oil change and filter- I have had it done at the dealer only because they also do a good check on the car and will immediately fix anything under warranty.
I am not a mechanic exactly,but it is amazing what a minor - and I do mean minor - bit of effort will save you. Last time I was due for a new cabin ('dust/pollen') filter. Cost online for OEM part, delivered: $ 23. Time to install -no tools needed - about 90 seconds. Most of that time was just emptying the glove box and putting stuff back in once I switched out the filter. Cost for an installed cabin filter from the dealer? I seem to remember it was well more than double that amount.
You're right about the free tire rotation from Discount. I've done so before. They're good people.

But there's also the consideration of time. If I do that there, then I have to wait. And time can be an hour to who knows depending on how busy they are. So in that situation, I'd gladly pay a reasonable price for the dealership to do that while they have the car on a lift. And I get it all done usually under an hour. And I'm back on the road.

You're also right about the cabin filter. I remember being quoted some crazy amount just to replace the cabin and the intake filter. I basically laughed when the service advisor told me the amount. I could tell on his face, he knew that was crazy but I understand he's gotta try. After the oil change and rotation, I walked over to the parts department, bought the filters and replaced them myself.

So I'm not knocking people who want to do the service themselves. But I'm also not slamming those who take it to a shop or dealership. It's their money and time.

choffman41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Let's see, $21 for 5 qts Castrol synthetic, $5 for a Motorcraft filter, both from Amazon, 20 minutes to rotate tires, looks like $26 for a B service in my garage plus I inspect everything myself so I know for sure what's up. I don't trust anyone to mess with my cars.
Sponsored