special_ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
Just got a 2019 Sport Sedan MT and am trying to install a DSP and 5-channel amp. I chose the AX-DSP because it's decently priced and is mated to the only aftermarket harness for our headunits. I have the 7" headunit without an OEM amplifier.

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-DSP

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-DSP-HON2

Comparing the harness to the wiring diagrams from Honda showed a match so I didn't expect there to be any issues. It *should* be plug and play but the DSP does not seem to be powering on. My only theory is that there was a change between 2018 and 2019 in which pin A23 "ACC: Power source for accessories" (see https://www.civicx.com/threads/headunit-wire-diagram.2886/#post-45909) is now listed as A23 "RR CAMERA ACC DIODE: Power source for accessories or detects reverse signal". Can anyone tell me what that means? This behavior would make sense if there was no signal to ACC. Should I run a new ACC from the fuse box and splice it in to the DSP?

If anyone has any experience with this DSP, any advice would be appreciated. Metra tech was completely unhelpful and dismissive so I'm seriously considering just returning the thing and getting a Rockford Fosgate DSR1.
Sponsored

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From your diagram A23 should be always on 12vdc. can you use a multi meter to verify 12vdc on that pin? If no voltage you can at least temporarily splice a 12vdc connection for supply.

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
I have no experience with the specific DSP you're working with. I would look in to whether it has any sort of volume-related correction circuitry as the Civic HU adjusts the EQ as you turn up the volume. For me, this meant that my sub is either way too loud at low volumes but perfect at high volume, or it's perfect at low volumes but seriously lacking at high volume. Personally, I would sooner be looking for something like the LC7i that can address that issue before a DSP, but that's just me.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
Call metra/ Axxess. Their tech support is pretty good. They will tell you if there is a change, or if something isn't right. I'd check the harness with a meter before calling. They will want to know what's powered and what isn't.

OP
OP

special_ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
From your diagram A23 should be always on 12vdc. can you use a multi meter to verify 12vdc on that pin? If no voltage you can at least temporarily splice a 12vdc connection for supply.
"ACC" should not be constant. It should only be present when the car is in Accessory mode or On. Pin A3 is constant 12v.

I have no experience with the specific DSP you're working with. I would look in to whether it has any sort of volume-related correction circuitry as the Civic HU adjusts the EQ as you turn up the volume. For me, this meant that my sub is either way too loud at low volumes but perfect at high volume, or it's perfect at low volumes but seriously lacking at high volume. Personally, I would sooner be looking for something like the LC7i that can address that issue before a DSP, but that's just me.
LC7i is just a LOC with bass restoration. The AX-DSP performs the same functions plus eq, time alignment, and per channel crossover settings. Its equivalent to the DQ-61 which is several steps up from the LC7i.

Call metra/ Axxess. Their tech support is pretty good. They will tell you if there is a change, or if something isn't right. I'd check the harness with a meter before calling. They will want to know what's powered and what isn't.
I called them first before even posting here. The tech support guy was a jerk and could not help at all.

To update the thread, I eventually connected it directly to constant 12v/ground/acc and still couldn't get it to show up in bluetooth settings. I RMAed the unit to SonicElectronix since they agreed it was probably defective and there is no way to tell if it's powering on. Second unit came last week and still unable to see a bluetooth connection. Just RMAed that one and am giving up on it. Buying an AudioControl DQ-61 which has lights and analog switches and will mount it under the passenger seat.

To anyone else considering this dsp, it did not work on a 2019. I still have no answer if pin 23 is any different in this car. I wasn't able to test with a multimeter because I wasn't sure if leaving the HVAC controls disconnected while power was on would throw any faults. The AX-DSP-HON2 harness does work for splicing into speaker connections without damaging the car wiring.

Last edited:

FrostyTree

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
Thanks for posting an update. I have a 2019 sport sedan mt also. I've been on the fence on getting a dsp. Considering the Rockford fosgate DSR1. However don't want to spend much on upgrading the audio. I got the speakers already but haven't installed them yet. Went w Kicker CS components in the front and coaxial in the back. I have a small kenwood kac-m3004 i was thinking of driving them with.

Also considering instead of a dsp getting a kicker key180 amp to power the speakers with and see if i would be happy with its auto timing calibration. This would be the easiest option, its just a matter if i would be satisfied w its EQ setting and not having the option to tweak it.

As for Sub. Looking at either one of kickers new tube sub's w a mono amp or a small rockford fosgate powered sub. Either 8 or 10 inch, dont need to share my bass. I just need to enjoy it.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the update, keep us posted on the DQ-61 install! I'm itching to install this summer. dsp and speakers, stock amp probably?, and sub/amp.

chucks0

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback, 2014 Honda CRV, 2009 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
To anyone else considering this dsp, it did not work on a 2019. I still have no answer if pin 23 is any different in this car. I wasn't able to test with a multimeter because I wasn't sure if leaving the HVAC controls disconnected while power was on would throw any faults. The AX-DSP-HON2 harness does work for splicing into speaker connections without damaging the car wiring.
Did you ever get a working solution? I am looking to add a subwoofer and Alpine powerpack amp to my 2019 Hatch EX and want to know if you ran into any other issues with the AX-DSP-HON2.

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I have this installed behind my head unit. The HON2 harness actually is a plug and play. you don't really need to do much more than just plug it in and cut the 8pin molex connector that heads to your speakers so you can connect your amp output to it.Let me know if you need any help or have any questions

OP
OP

special_ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
Did you ever get a working solution? I am looking to add a subwoofer and Alpine powerpack amp to my 2019 Hatch EX and want to know if you ran into any other issues with the AX-DSP-HON2.
I never got the Axess DSP to work but I did use the HON2 to splice into the speaker wires. That worked great.

I have this installed behind my head unit. The HON2 harness actually is a plug and play. you don't really need to do much more than just plug it in and cut the 8pin molex connector that heads to your speakers so you can connect your amp output to it.Let me know if you need any help or have any questions
This is exactly what I wound up doing. The harness makes getting to the speaker wires super easy without any modification to the car wiring.

Yuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic X 1.0 exclusive
Country flag
show my thread wire all connector

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
I used the Hon-2 harness as a plug and play pigtail for my AudioControl DSP. Unfortunately I haven't had time to finish the project, but the harness is good, but there are better DSPs than the Axxess.

Honda Civic 10th gen Axxess DSP Install IMG_20190715_173808624

Honda Civic 10th gen Axxess DSP Install IMG_20190715_175443991

Sha4KuR-x

First Name
Esteban Lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, can you help me, I am looking for the harness to connect my AUDIO CONTROL D61, but I can't find it anywhere, please help me, buy all the new JL Audio sound
Sponsored