Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R?

OP
OP

bernardos70

First Name
Bernardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I'm thinking Android will be the same as bluetooth tbh. Reason being that the calls still on get connected through bluetooth when calling via Android auto. I think this is for ease of transferring the calls to the headset when turning off the car and continuing the call.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I haven’t as I don’t have an Android device to test. I’ll see if I can find one to do some testing.
Did you said you had the center spk setup as L+R? And during the hands free call, do any spks other than the front L and R have sound coming out? If so, you might want to try muting all spks except the front L and R to match the muting chart. See if that gets rid of the echo.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm thinking Android will be the same as bluetooth tbh. Reason being that the calls still on get connected through bluetooth when calling via Android auto. I think this is for ease of transferring the calls to the headset when turning off the car and continuing the call.
Besides try muting all spks except the front L and R, you might also want to check if all the spk phases match stock. I don't know if all that matters, but try to match stock as much as possible.

By matching stock phase, I meant in addition to checking if all spks are wired correctly, you should also run something like the "speaker pop" app to make sure the phases match stock. This is to ensure the DSP doesn't flip the phases internally.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
I have now tested Android Auto and BT from an S6 and the result is the same. There is an echo from the party on the other end.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Did you said you had the center spk setup as L+R? And during the hands free call, do any spks other than the front L and R have sound coming out? If so, you might want to try muting all spks except the front L and R to match the muting chart. See if that gets rid of the echo.
Unfortunately there are no BT only settings in the factory system or the DSP X so muting of speakers is not possible.

I am going to reconnect the ANC model to see if that at least removes the echo. Unfortunately even if it does the ANC will introduce undesirable Issues with it being connected. But at least that will verify that echo canceling exist with the ANC.

Matching the factory phase is also undesirable as some speakers are programmed out phase from the factory. The front tweeters for one. The rear speakers if I remember correctly were out of phase with each other cause a flagging effect from the audio. It’s the stupidest shit I’ve ever seen from a “Premium Audio” system.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately there are no BT only settings in the factory system or the DSP X so muting of speakers is not possible.

I am going to reconnect the ANC model to see if that at least removes the echo. Unfortunately even if it does the ANC will introduce undesirable Issues with it being connected. But at least that will verify that echo canceling exist with the ANC.
I don't think the Civic has ANC.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Matching the factory phase is also undesirable as some speakers are programmed out phase from the factory. The front tweeters for one. The rear speakers if I remember correctly were out of phase with each other cause a flagging effect from the audio. It’s the stupidest shit I’ve ever seen from a “Premium Audio” system.
It caused problem in the stock setup or just with the Metra setup? Maybe the head unit is using the out of phase to cancel out the echo.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
It caused problem in the stock setup or just with the Metra setup? Maybe the head unit is using the out of phase to cancel out the echo.
I highly doubt that but that would be out of my knowledge on advance car audio.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Alright guys eliminating the DSP completely eliminated the echo on CarPlay! This is unfortunate but this has all got to come out. If anyone is interested in my components feel free to PM me.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I highly doubt that but that would be out of my knowledge on advance car audio.
I mean there must be reasons Honda flip the phases. I don't think intentionally f the sound up was one.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
I mean there must be reasons Honda flip the phases. I don't think intentionally f the sound up was one.
It is my understanding they do this to achieve a type of faux time alignment.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So while we’re talking about this system I wanted to inform about some issues I identified that Metra updated.

The “Recall Configuration” issue has been resolved with the newest DSP XL app for iOS.

There are now selectable crossover slopes functioning with the unit and the DSP XL app.

The Phase adjustment on channels 5 and 6 now work as intended.

I have addressed the Center channle selection in the app as not working with Metra but it may already be addressed in the new app. I haven’t been able to test the new app yet for this feature.

I still have no solution for the BT or CarPlay phone call echo issue yet. Metra’s solution was to lower the gains on the amps which does eliminate the issue but at the cost of not being able to hear the party you are talking to. However since this issue has arrived I’ve since learned that this is an issue with many car manufactures including Honda. This is not an issue with my 2019 and the factory system. I will be going back to the factory amp in my car and testing to see if the issue goes away. If it does it will be unfortunate because this system will have to come out of my car. If that’s the case I will be selling this unit and amps if any of you are interested.
Thank you for your valuable help with this product so far! As I am sure a lot of us that are looking to get this DSP installed in the future we will look back to the info/help you have provided. I really do hope that Metra comes out with some better guidance on having a dedicated Center Channel working in the App so that we will be able to tune the system to our requirements. I also hope that Metra will try and further address the Bluetooth/ Carplay phone call Echo issue .... would be nice to hear how bad the Echo is for reference.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Thank you for your valuable help with this product so far! As I am sure a lot of us that are looking to get this DSP installed in the future we will look back to the info/help you have provided. I really do hope that Metra comes out with some better guidance on having a dedicated Center Channel working in the App so that we will be able to tune the system to our requirements. I also hope that Metra will try and further address the Bluetooth/ Carplay phone call Echo issue .... would be nice to hear how bad the Echo is for reference.
The echo that the other party hears when they talk is unbearable to just tolerate. To the point that no conversation can be achieved without substantial frustration on the part of the other party. It’s a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored