Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R?

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
The video is great and covers alot of questions people might have around this product.

I have been contemplating getting this piece, but I would literally be using it as a DAC LOC and not the DSP (I have an audiocontrol D-6.1200 going in), so I have a hard time spending that kind of cash when I won't be using the DSP portion of it...plus first-to-market stuff makes me hesitant, especially when there are other companies that have solutions like the Maestro AR and PAC AmpPro that haven't got this SPDIF setup sorted yet, and they are typically better at that part of the business than Metra IMO, so who knows if the Metra piece was rushed to be first or if the other guys just haven't cracked it.
Keep in mind the DSPX is nothing new. It’s been out for three years now. The HN3 part just pertains to the T harness used to interface with the vehicle. That’s the only thing that’s new. I’m curious as to why you think this product was rushed. I have it installed, tuned properly, and it is working great. And on a vehicle that isn't even officially supported.
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Keep in mind the DSPX is nothing new. It’s been out for three years now. The HN3 part just pertains to the T harness used to interface with the vehicle. That’s the only thing that’s new. I’m curious as to why you think this product was rushed. I have it installed, tuned properly, and it is working great. And on a vehicle that isn't even officially supported.
Ok you lost me. You meant it's just this https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXDSP-X plus a T-Harness?

But the DSPX doesn't have spdif input does it? You said you ditch (meaning it's not in your car anymore) the factory amp correct? So with the T-harness, you could also leave the factory amp in the car?

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
I know the DSPX has been out, but the firmware to process the digital and analog audio busses is new for sure. I don't think this specific product was rushed, I have just had experience with alot of their products that were rushed and eventual firmware updates come out to fix bugs, and then a competitor's product is released that works flawlessly, but they were not first. I am not saying the product is bad, just that I am hesitant to invest that kind of money given my experience with other axxess products. I don't carry this piece, so I would need to source it at a competitor or online, so paying full retail and likely not being able to return it concerns me. It very well could be a great piece that does what I want it to do, but I could also be stuck with something that doesn't work and cost me a few hundred bucks.

On one of the industry pages I belong to, there was someone asking about integrating on a type R, and there were only a couple people who had experience with this piece, one said it didn't work and the other said there was a glitch where it didn't output a turn on unless you powered the car up to accessory for a couple seconds before starting the car, or if you made a BT call and hung up it would output the turn on then, metra didn't have an answer as to why it did that.

Thanks for your detailed input, much appreciated!

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Ok you lost me. You meant it's just this https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXDSP-X plus a T-Harness?

But the DSPX doesn't have spdif input does it? You said you ditch (meaning it's not in your car anymore) the factory amp correct? So with the T-harness, you could also leave the factory amp in the car?
Yes that’s correct. And the HN3 does have a digital input.
The factory amp is still in the car as I have no reason to remove it. But it isn’t hooked up to anything.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
I know the DSPX has been out, but the firmware to process the digital and analog audio busses is new for sure. I don't think this specific product was rushed, I have just had experience with alot of their products that were rushed and eventual firmware updates come out to fix bugs, and then a competitor's product is released that works flawlessly, but they were not first. I am not saying the product is bad, just that I am hesitant to invest that kind of money given my experience with other axxess products. I don't carry this piece, so I would need to source it at a competitor or online, so paying full retail and likely not being able to return it concerns me. It very well could be a great piece that does what I want it to do, but I could also be stuck with something that doesn't work and cost me a few hundred bucks.

On one of the industry pages I belong to, there was someone asking about integrating on a type R, and there were only a couple people who had experience with this piece, one said it didn't work and the other said there was a glitch where it didn't output a turn on unless you powered the car up to accessory for a couple seconds before starting the car, or if you made a BT call and hung up it would output the turn on then, metra didn't have an answer as to why it did that.

Thanks for your detailed input, much appreciated!
I will say that indeed I had a very serious issue upon installation and it is detailed in my comments on this thread. It had serious channel cutout upon installation. Once I updated the firmware however, that all went away. From what I can tell it is flawless with the exception of the recall configuration proceeder that I detail in my video. That feature simply doesn’t work at present. But that’s not really a deal breaker.

Last edited:

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
I will say that indeed I had a very serious issue upon installation and it is detailed in my comments on this thread. It has serious channel cutout upon installation. Once I updated the firmware however, that all went away. From what I can tell it is flawless with the exception of the recall configuration proceeded that I detail in my video. That feature simply doesn’t work at present. But that’s not really a deal breaker.
Cool, and that recall seems more like an app glitch, but same here, not a deal breaker. Thanks again for the info.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes that’s correct. And the HN3 does have a digital input.
The factory amp is still in the car as I have no reason to remove it. But it isn’t hooked up to anything.
Hey @vblue42, does it come with a T-harness for the RS-485 connector (the one right next to the SPDIF). A T-harness that connects to the head unit and the factory amp and has break-out wires to the HN3.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Hey @vblue42, does it come with a T-harness for the RS-485 connector (the one right next to the SPDIF). A T-harness that connects to the head unit and the factory amp and has break-out wires to the HN3.
So I’m not sure which one that is. But yes it does have a harness for all connections coming off of the amp.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
From what I can tell it is flawless with the exception of the recall configuration proceeder that I detail in my video. That feature simply doesn’t work at present. But that’s not really a deal breaker.
Heard back from Metra today on the “Recall Configuration” issue. They did verify after reproducing the issue on their end that it is a bug in the iOS app with Honda selected as the vehicle type. They stated that it isn’t an issue at present with the Android version. They said an update will be released as soon as it’s approved by Apple.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for all the info man, the 'premium' audio is truly an insult to people paying extra for premium audio. I'm definitely bookmarking this for the future. This seems to be the best, and only, way to bypass the factory amp before it destroys the signal to keep the shit speakers from blowing.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will this allow me to plug (without having to splice into factory harnesses and run new wire) all the factory speakers and sub into one of those Android HUs so that I still get full functionality from the stock speakers and sub.?

2017 hatchback sport touring

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will this allow me to plug (without having to splice into factory harnesses and run new wire) all the factory speakers and sub into one of those Android HUs so that I still get full functionality from the stock speakers and sub.?

Not with the HN3 harness but you can use the DSPX with any head unit you want. But I have to be honest replacing the head unit without replacing the garbage speakers is absolutely backwards in the approach that anyone should take to get good audio.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Not with the HN3 harness but you can use the DSPX with any head unit you want. But I have to be honest replacing the head unit without replacing the garbage speakers is absolutely backwards in the approach that anyone should take to get good audio.
So the DSPX will allow plug-and-play connection of the factory speakers and sub. to aftermarket head units?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

All you need is this https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-AB-HN1 to interface to all of the factory speakers with an after market stereo. You'll loose the adaptive engine sounds if you have 20 Si, but you could possibly get an adapter from somewhere else.

The product discussed here allows you to connect the premium factory infotainment to an external amp.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah if you're gonna use the stock speakers with an aftermarket HU you're gonna have a bad time.
Sponsored