Axle shaft bearing leaking fluid

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
After the dealership wouldn't look at my axle shaft bearing, only stating they "couldn't reproduce a problem" I went to American Honda. After showing Honda my pictures and videos, the rep said they were useless because Honda can't "verify the pictures and videos are from my car."

I'm speechless...
Sponsored

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
After the dealership wouldn't look at my axle shaft bearing, only stating they "couldn't reproduce a problem" I went to American Honda. After showing Honda my pictures and videos, the rep said they were useless because Honda can't "verify the pictures and videos are from my car."

I'm speechless...
I have the same problem and haven’t even approached Honda because I knew they’d respond something like what you said

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm speechless...
The dealership excuse is assinine. Guessing your dialog with them was more about the clunk than the leak.
Im not worrying about mine anymore. If I have a failure and the damages arent covered by warranty, I'll file a lawsuit.
I would like to know what the fluid coming out is... I have an increasingly long delay until engagement when placing the car in D or R. It's nearly as bad even in mild weather. A 3pt turn is awkwardly long to perform. And the jump the car makes when it engages does not feel healthy.

OP
OP

Si.R.Red

First Name
Westin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic Si sedan
Country flag
The dealership excuse is assinine. Guessing your dialog with them was more about the clunk than the leak.
Im not worrying about mine anymore. If I have a failure and the damages arent covered by warranty, I'll file a lawsuit.
I would like to know what the fluid coming out is... I have an increasingly long delay until engagement when placing the car in D or R. It's nearly as bad even in mild weather. A 3pt turn is awkwardly long to perform. And the jump the car makes when it engages does not feel healthy.
The fluid that is leaking is likely either a hydraulic fluid or just a simple bearing grease. The leaking half-shaft (axle) bearing may be causing the clunking sound when going over bumps. It is also common on many different cars for control arm bushings to create a similar clunk sound when going over bumps.
The likelyhood of a full on catastrophic failure on this bearing is highly unlikely, though i suppose if ALL of the grease leaked out, the bearing could overheat and cause itself to seize which would prevent the axle from turning.
This problem would have nothing to do with the shift engagement time from D to R. However this delay could be caused by colder temperatures. The CVT uses transmission fluid pressure to facilitate shifting into reverse. When it is cold outside or even if the transmission fluid is not warmed up yet the fluid is much more thick than when the fluid warms up. This thicker fluid will cause the transmission to take longer when shifting to reverse.
Another tip to prolonging the life of a CVT (which unfortunately in my experience dont have quite as long of a life span as a typical automatic or a manual transmission) when you put your car in park, ESPECIALLY WHEN PARKING ON A HILL, it is essential that you follow the following steps.
Step 1: come to a complete stop, with your foot on the brake place the car in N (neutral)
Step 2: apply the parking brake, and remove your foot from the pedal brake. (This will allow your parking brake to support the vehicle and prevent the car from rolling)
Step 3: place the car in park.

Inside all automatic and CVT transmissions is a small metal piece called a parking pall. When you place yout transmission into park, if the vehicle rolls the pall will prevent the car from rolling. Though this pall is designed to be able to support the weight of the vehicle it causes more stress on other internal transmission components. This is why you should get the car to support the weight of the vehicle using the parking brake before placing the vehicle into park.

When the transmission is sitting on the parking pall, is is difficult for the transmission to move off of it, this is likely what is causing this unhealthy jump feeling when you shift out of park.

P.S. im hoping everyone will be able to get this simple warranty repair taken care of. Idk if my dealership is just more cooperative, or if me showing them pictures of the leaking fluid up front to the service advisor had a role to play. But i walked in, showed my service advisor the pictures i took and said, "my right half-shaft bearing is leaking. Please replace it under warranty" and i had no problems getting the work done.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The fluid that is leaking is likely either a hydraulic fluid or just a simple bearing grease. The leaking half-shaft (axle) bearing may be causing the clunking sound when going over bumps. It is also common on many different cars for control arm bushings to create a similar clunk sound when going over bumps.
The likelyhood of a full on catastrophic failure on this bearing is highly unlikely, though i suppose if ALL of the grease leaked out, the bearing could overheat and cause itself to seize which would prevent the axle from turning.
This problem would have nothing to do with the shift engagement time from D to R. However this delay could be caused by colder temperatures. The CVT uses transmission fluid pressure to facilitate shifting into reverse. When it is cold outside or even if the transmission fluid is not warmed up yet the fluid is much more thick than when the fluid warms up. This thicker fluid will cause the transmission to take longer when shifting to reverse.
Another tip to prolonging the life of a CVT (which unfortunately in my experience dont have quite as long of a life span as a typical automatic or a manual transmission) when you put your car in park, ESPECIALLY WHEN PARKING ON A HILL, it is essential that you follow the following steps.
Step 1: come to a complete stop, with your foot on the brake place the car in N (neutral)
Step 2: apply the parking brake, and remove your foot from the pedal brake. (This will allow your parking brake to support the vehicle and prevent the car from rolling)

Inside all automatic and CVT transmissions is a small metal piece called a parking pall. When you place yout transmission into park, if the vehicle rolls the pall will prevent the car from rolling. Though this pall is designed to be able to support the weight of the vehicle it causes more stress on other internal transmission components. This is why you should get the car to support the weight of the vehicle using the parking brake before placing the vehicle into park.

When the transmission is sitting on the parking pall, is is difficult for the transmission to move off of it, this is likely what is causing this unhealthy jump feeling when you shift out of park.

P.S. im hoping everyone will be able to get this simple warranty repair taken care of. Idk if my dealership is just more cooperative, or if me showing them pictures of the leaking fluid up front to the service advisor had a role to play. But i walked in, showed my service advisor the pictures i took and said, "my right half-shaft bearing is leaking. Please replace it under warranty" and i had no problems getting the work done.
I'll have to try/do that parking routine. Thank you, kindly! I always always always, even on flat/level road, used the parking brake bc I'd read in a traditional AT it's not very safe or robust to rely on the tooth in gearing from having trans in Park.

Thanks, also, for stating what you did about the cumbersome transition from N/R to D. I'm likely to change my CVT Fluid early (again; 2nd change). Maybe that will help. Regardless, I intend to send the replaced fluid away for UOA. To those stunned... That's right, you can have transmission fluid analyzed, CVT or not.
I've never abused my transmission. Though, my last car (1993 Camry) I donated for scrap when the AT couldn't engage in 1st and 2nd safely. Fortunately, my habit for lowering gear to grab some more torque is far less deleterious, if not helpful, with the CVT. Thanks, again!

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Dealership went ahead and replaced mine. They went out of their way to say that grease seepage is normal because this bearing doesn't have a boot covering it and it spins around with the axle which flings the grease out...

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
Dealership went ahead and replaced mine. They went out of their way to say that grease seepage is normal because this bearing doesn't have a boot covering it and it spins around with the axle which flings the grease out...
So that means this new one will leak as well. Let’s see.

OP
OP

Si.R.Red

First Name
Westin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic Si sedan
Country flag
That doesnt look like the same thing. This is talking about the shaft seal where the axle inserts into the transmission, which would keep the transmission fluid from leaking out. Its a common leak on other vehicles ive worked on from other manufacturers.

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex hatchback hpf edition
Country flag

I actual lost a bolt uninstalling my bov, had to take out the splash guard and I was wahhhh...it does have 15k but I baby my car in the right way. It wasn’t so much of leak but just gunk build up, reminded me when I had 2015 Sentra manual tranny and 20k miles into it when reversing it made click/clank sound, my Honda didn’t do it but I figured dealer should take a look at it, and they did and replaced it. My next goal for them to take a care of ripples/dents on the sides of the roof, the dealer said he’s heard one case and it was replaced so we shall see

Honda Civic 10th gen Axle shaft bearing leaking fluid A4F112C4-A41E-4B09-8C66-7BBABB5E3288

gsp_18touring

First Name
Jeet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 BMW 328i
Country flag
Hi guys,
So my dealership here in Canada agreed to replace the part under warranty. They are also adding an alignment cost because the car would need alignment once this part is replaced and they want me to pay out of pocket for this.
Did any of you experience the same when you guys got this part replaced?

I have attached a screenshot of the email from the service advisor after I told her to email me the quote so that I can take it up with Honda.

Honda Civic 10th gen Axle shaft bearing leaking fluid 90D5B85F-46FE-49A8-944C-A66FE1EFAFC9

DrummerBoy523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi guys,
So my dealership here in Canada agreed to replace the part under warranty. They are also adding an alignment cost because the car would need alignment once this part is replaced and they want me to pay out of pocket for this.
Did any of you experience the same when you guys got this part replaced?

I have attached a screenshot of the email from the service advisor after I told her to email me the quote so that I can take it up with Honda.

90D5B85F-46FE-49A8-944C-A66FE1EFAFC9.jpeg
Uhhh, the reason it needs a new alignment is because their part failed. That's absolute BS and I would tell them they will be covering that cost also. What a crock.