First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone been stonewalled by a dealership? I am confident I did nothing wrong but be snarky and a wee condescending in the midst of misconduct and illegal practices. However, I am very concerned that another Honda Dealer of the same 'family' or even generally will see a service record and blow me off. I do appreciate that my vehicle is not immediately a death trap just because a component is failing. I can be a realist. My fear is that the time before this demands attention is arbitrary if I don't see a way to replacement outside of out of pocket. If I have to pay for a replacement part and labor I'm not going to buy a Honda part. Both bc butt-hurt still but also quality concerns.
My car has never been in an accident and the treatment at the dealership seemed so over and beyond what I perceive typical resistence would look like... That paired with anecdotes others have shared make me wonder:
1) How widespread this is - what is the presentation rate or rate of occurence
2) What are involved modes of failure?

I was shot down so hard and with varying trim having similar issues I'm suspicious that this is a known issue that hasn't reached some calculated risk threshold to warrant acknowledgment and a voluntary recall.
Sponsored

eugeneli5354

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Has anyone been stonewalled by a dealership? I am confident I did nothing wrong but be snarky and a wee condescending in the midst of misconduct and illegal practices. However, I am very concerned that another Honda Dealer of the same 'family' or even generally will see a service record and blow me off. I do appreciate that my vehicle is not immediately a death trap just because a component is failing. I can be a realist. My fear is that the time before this demands attention is arbitrary if I don't see a way to replacement outside of out of pocket. If I have to pay for a replacement part and labor I'm not going to buy a Honda part. Both bc butt-hurt still but also quality concerns.
My car has never been in an accident and the treatment at the dealership seemed so over and beyond what I perceive typical resistence would look like... That paired with anecdotes others have shared make me wonder:
1) How widespread this is - what is the presentation rate or rate of occurence
2) What are involved modes of failure?

I was shot down so hard and with varying trim having similar issues I'm suspicious that this is a known issue that hasn't reached some calculated risk threshold to warrant acknowledgment and a voluntary recall.

i personally really dislike dealerships. i think they are crooks. but my experience was somewhat positive.

I noticed the issue myself during an oil change and i bought my car to the dealership with pictures and videos to show them. i was ready for a fight with them to get it replaced. to my supprise, they acknowledged that there was a problem. but they have to see it for themselies. which make sense and it was fine by me.

after the work was done, i dont trust these guys so i went underneath the car to check their work . i found that they replaced the wrong part -.-
they were cool about it and replaced it again. but it was a waste of my time to go back and fore.

PS they also over torqued my wheel lugs (N)

OP
OP

Si.R.Red

First Name
Westin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic Si sedan
Country flag
The tech literally threatened me with extortion this evening! I'm livid.
The dealership refused to perform the work under warranty, saying there is no issue, yet blamed this non-issue on my aftermarket downpipe (on turbo models this is on the exact oppposite side of the engine as the Axle) after having zero proof and already revised their explanation for inside-part fluid being outside a part 2 other times. They called out my pipe on the work order, so what can happen if I sign that to get my car back is they then have my signature acknowledging what they wrote and they can freely void my warranty. Again... No evidence. They're now saying it's grease for goodness sake.
In order for a dealer to refuse to warranty a part due to another aftermarket part the responsibility falls on said dealer to PROVE without doubt that the aftermarket part CAUSED the damage. NOT that the aftermarket part COULD possibly cause that damage. Any warrant court would find that the dealer is in the wrong. If you dig a bit into the Magnussen-Moss Act of 1975, you will find that the burden of proof falls on the dealer. The fact that many more people are having the same issue without aftermarket downpipes, is proof that it did not cause the failure.
The only way i can think that a dealer could prove that as the cause, would be to find out the exact melting point of said grease inside the bearing, then they would have to test drive another car which is identical to yours in every way besides the downpipe, measure the temperature of the bearing. And then test drive your car in an IDENTICAL environment and test drive scenario. Then measure the temperature of your bearing. Then they would have to see if the temperature difference is great enough, AND above the melting point of the grease. There would have to be full documentation of the process and they would have to have a witness to the test to prove that they aren't cheating the test. This is they only way they could legally claim that your down pipe caused the damage. If they didnt do it? They are wrong

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In order for a dealer to refuse to warranty a part due to another aftermarket part the responsibility falls on said dealer to PROVE without doubt that the aftermarket part CAUSED the damage. NOT that the aftermarket part COULD possibly cause that damage. Any warrant court would find that the dealer is in the wrong. If you dig a bit into the Magnussen-Moss Act of 1975, you will find that the burden of proof falls on the dealer. The fact that many more people are having the same issue without aftermarket downpipes, is proof that it did not cause the failure.
The only way i can think that a dealer could prove that as the cause, would be to find out the exact melting point of said grease inside the bearing, then they would have to test drive another car which is identical to yours in every way besides the downpipe, measure the temperature of the bearing. And then test drive your car in an IDENTICAL environment and test drive scenario. Then measure the temperature of your bearing. Then they would have to see if the temperature difference is great enough, AND above the melting point of the grease. There would have to be full documentation of the process and they would have to have a witness to the test to prove that they aren't cheating the test. This is they only way they could legally claim that your down pipe caused the damage. If they didnt do it? They are wrong
Thanks, truly. Problem is the population is a breakdown of dumb and greedy. I told the tech and their manager face to face they are violating the MMWA. They proceeded to ask if I had been maintenancing the vehicle, and added that to an unrelated maintenance order to smear me. Of what? No clue.
I filed with the State AG and was replied to an informed AG's don't actually do anything.
I was told my axle is fine... I intend to drive it until personal injury or catestrophic damage, prey on the "dumb" and take mine.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine has leaked since the car was brand new. dealer signaled the leak during the first service at 3000km but, as in other cases here, they told me to wait and see what happens. It was 3 years ago and they keep checking for further damage at the oil changes. I can have it replaced if i really want to, honda will do it if i request but I am waiting to do it at the end of warranty so i will have more life left in the new one for the future....

P.s. your cars look very very rusty! Mine only has the same very thin surface rust it developed weeks after delivery.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine has leaked since the car was brand new. dealer signaled the leak during the first service at 3000km but, as in other cases here, they told me to wait and see what happens. It was 3 years ago and they keep checking for further damage at the oil changes. I can have it replaced if i really want to, honda will do it if i request but I am waiting to do it at the end of warranty so i will have more life left in the new one for the future....

P.s. your cars look very very rusty! Mine only has the same very thin surface rust it developed weeks after delivery.
Ever near the ocean in yours? I'm a dumb American with limited geographical knowledge.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ever near the ocean in yours? I'm a dumb American with limited geographical knowledge.
I used to live on an island until recently, 1 km from the sea. Now I am still in an ocean city but not close enough to get salt on my car. Here is warm all year round so we don't have any salt o the road in winter, which makes a lot of difference.

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I think I have this issue as well? I get a snap/clunk in cold weather from this area.

Honda Civic 10th gen Axle shaft bearing leaking fluid 2020-03-09

RonSwanson's

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I have this issue as well? I get a snap/clunk in cold weather from this area.

2020-03-09.jpeg
I got the passenger side axle shaft replaced 3 weeks ago, havent gotten a chance to see if makes the rubbing noise over speed humps when it's cold (below 32F) but when you take it to Honda. Take pics with your phone and print out this thread and show them, I was nice and said this may or may not be related but it looks to be the same area. And I just had to go back once after the first documentation of the leak. They told me its normal and nothing bad will happen if I didnt get it replaced but they would as a courtesy....I dont plan on having the car forever so I had them replace. Also I put a piece of tape on the inside of the belly pan where the drippings collect dirt over time to help show it keeps dripping in the same spot and blowing down the belly pan in the wind.

I'll have to post pics of the invoice

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got the passenger side axle shaft replaced 3 weeks ago, havent gotten a chance to see if makes the rubbing noise over speed humps when it's cold (below 32F) but when you take it to Honda. Take pics with your phone and print out this thread and show them, I was nice and said this may or may not be related but it looks to be the same area. And I just had to go back once after the first documentation of the leak. They told me its normal and nothing bad will happen if I didnt get it replaced but they would as a courtesy....I dont plan on having the car forever so I had them replace. Also I put a piece of tape on the inside of the belly pan where the drippings collect dirt over time to help show it keeps dripping in the same spot and blowing down the belly pan in the wind.

I'll have to post pics of the invoice
Any idea what this would cost out of pocket to replace? I'm 3,300 miles away from my warranty expiring and have had zero luck with my two local dealers trying to locate and fix my issue.

RonSwanson's

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any idea what this would cost out of pocket to replace? I'm 3,300 miles away from my warranty expiring and have had zero luck with my two local dealers trying to locate and fix my issue.
I'm not sure how much, Is yours leaking?
I dont see how they cant see it on the car and by looking at the pictures the others have posted on here.

You should try a 3rd dealer
I'll load a pic, it's the axle going into something with bearings I think, but you can see the circular thing has a drop of fluid ready to drip its from that area.

Honda Civic 10th gen Axle shaft bearing leaking fluid 20200202_123545

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not sure how much, Is yours leaking?
I dont see how they cant see it on the car and by looking at the pictures the others have posted on here.

You should try a 3rd dealer
I'll load a pic, it's the axle going into something with bearings I think, but you can see the circular thing has a drop of fluid ready to drip its from that area.
I believe it is, check out the picture from my last reply. I can't get under the car, but I do see some darker spots that look like grease when I look from under the hood?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@RonSwanson's - that's how mine looked when I last looked.

@SpoolAndGo - how much time left on warranty? If you're daring and willing to be aggressive your ultimate escalation/bluff may be to threaten to garage the car while you retain legal representation and also file a grievance with your states Attorney General. Don't bluff on the AG bit- file a complaint at 2 dealership not honoring warranty.
I feel for you... You could take it to a small shop and explain that you'd like them to put it on a lift and remove the under-body cover so you can take pictures of the Axle, bearing, and the cover. I could see a shop doing it free if you express legit interest in using them for maintenance. $20-50 otherwise. You need to go in to dealer with pictures.
Wouldn't tie in clunking or anything else initially, but clearly indicate that if what is coming out cannot be 'topped-off' or measured then it's in a state of failure even if it hasn't caused a mechanical failure yet. If they can't measure how depleted or not the lubrication is (movement is internal so they have absolutely no way to truthfully state it is sufficiently lubed with what remains) they can't say how close to full-on failure it is.
Problem is, say you agree it's not broken-broken but not fully intact and drop the matter. If you go to sell privately and a prospective buyer takes it to a shop for examination they will be in prime position to drive down your asking price. You can't sit there and say (essentially) TSA like an agent of Honda can. You're just you. Honda is huge. I'm not saying Honda Corp is wholly acting in this slimmy way but employees wearing their logo are.
If you get under the car take very broad pictures too. If you can show there is no leaking from the engine block, no leaking anything above; then, where you see fluid in the Axle is where the leak originates and thus what is on the pan is due to that too. A step beyond that would be to add fluorescing agent to your engine oil and not tell the technician at the dealership. Wait for them to say it may just be splashed engine oil or the like. Still hold your tongue... They will try to be overbearing and insist on "showing you" by taking you in the bay and under your own car you'll already have provided recent pictures from underneath (yeah I expect this bc this is how they attempted to bully me). Take your phone out and video record- explain you want to preserve a visual of what they are showing you so you won't get screwed in a potential future private sale when out of warranty, and also so you can review for your own assurance afterward at your own pace and not take up too much of their time. Get ready for the creative trap... Then when they are nearly done their bs dog n pony show and just try to force an awkward silence, standing there under the car with you for you to stare and feel shame... Ask them if they can shine one of the UV pens they use to diagnose a fluid leak (bring your own to be safe but don't offer it or reveal yet). They'll probably say that nothing has been added by them so it's pointless. Then reveal you had the fluorescing agent added to engine oil already. If they pull out the pen nothing will shine and plainly non provokingly ask them while still recording that since their sole explanation they were sure of enough to send the car home without touching further was just shown inaccurate that they please replace the shaft. Otherwise shine your own light and request the same. If enough of us catch them in lies over the same part we can get a class action. Just xpect frustration, aggressive language, threats of warranty denial, and in the end nothing happening. At least... That's whatll happen if you try at the dealership I purchased from and took my car to for a leaking axle bearing.

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is a quick video I made. At the :22 mark, you can heard a clunk and at the very end of the video it looks like you can see a pool of fluid sitting on the bottom shield?

RonSwanson's

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dropped my car off at the dealer last night and got a call 8min into the tech time s
20191022_184714.jpg
lot this morning... Honda could find no damage or fluid, in fact they made a point of saying it was very dry under there. Am I cray-cray?
That's wet as hell. You can see drops forming
Sponsored