Awful Sound System On My New Civic

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
car-fm/dab and Carplay dont get processed by viper.
only usb, bluetooth and Android Auto works with it and you need to change the bluetooth settings within viper.

maybe it helps installing Viper as a System app, so it has more permissions overall.
for that you have to uninstall viper again and copy the apk to system\app and change its permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot (like here https://www.isunshare.com/android/how-to-move-apk-file-to-system-folder.html ).

BUT i never tried that on the Honda HU and the hondahack developer doesnt answer if its safe doing that.
i only know, that it helps on smartphones converting Viper to a system-app.
maybe someone is brave enough, then he could test this. :confused:

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Ok professor.
Yes, let's discount my nearly 30 years building high-end home and car audio systems because you "play guitar." If you ever want to learn 1) how good a car can truly sound and 2) just how bad yours really is, let me know. I do demos all the time.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
just to add my two cents on the audio quality. My mom had to take her Pilot in for warranty work and she got a sport touring hatchback as a loaner, and I agree with the OP that on stock settings the audio is not good. It's okay for spoken word, but until I found the factory EQ settings, I was terrified of listening to anything that needed deeper tones.

Once I adjusted the EQ a bit, the sounds improved. Not exponentially but I was able to switch from Frank Sinatra to heavy metal without feeling like I was being tortured by the sound quality differential. But holy smokes the stock settings were bad. They were also convoluted to get to when using android auto.

Does anyone know if the settings have been improved at all for the 2020 model? That's what I have my eyes on.

I will say I no longer consider the sound quality a deal breaker after finding the EQ. If it wasn't for that, I would have been trying to budget in a new audio setup too.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
just to add my two cents on the audio quality. My mom had to take her Pilot in for warranty work and she got a sport touring hatchback as a loaner, and I agree with the OP that on stock settings the audio is not good. It's okay for spoken word, but until I found the factory EQ settings, I was terrified of listening to anything that needed deeper tones.

Once I adjusted the EQ a bit, the sounds improved. Not exponentially but I was able to switch from Frank Sinatra to heavy metal without feeling like I was being tortured by the sound quality differential. But holy smokes the stock settings were bad. They were also convoluted to get to when using android auto.

Does anyone know if the settings have been improved at all for the 2020 model? That's what I have my eyes on.

I will say I no longer consider the sound quality a deal breaker after finding the EQ. If it wasn't for that, I would have been trying to budget in a new audio setup too.
It's exactly the same on the 2020. It's slightly easier to navigate than my wifes 2018 because it has actual buttons, but the EQ isn't any different.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's exactly the same on the 2020. It's slightly easier to navigate than my wifes 2018 because it has actual buttons, but the EQ isn't any different.
Yeah the new console buttons from 2019 and up were a big bonus in my eyes and is why I can't see myself getting anything other than a 2020 or 2019. I genuinely would have had a hard time buying the civic if they had kept the minimum button setup. My mom's 2018 pilot has a similar setup to the 2018 civic buttons and it drives me nuts and it's not even my car.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Yeah the new console buttons from 2019 and up were a big bonus in my eyes and is why I can't see myself getting anything other than a 2020 or 2019. I genuinely would have had a hard time buying the civic if they had kept the minimum button setup. My mom's 2018 pilot has a similar setup to the 2018 civic buttons and it drives me nuts and it's not even my car.
I recommend really looking at the different features on each trim to make sure the Touring is what you want.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I recommend really looking at the different features on each trim to make sure the Touring is what you want.
Out of the lineup, the Touring is the only way for me to get everything I want. The regular sport doesn't have leather and no power seats which is damn near a requirement for my current condition. Manual adjustments aren't in the cards for me. And if the 540 watt sound system is already mediocre, I don't think I could stand whatever the base audio system will be. And a full blown audio swap is also not a desirable outcome.

With the EX-L, it's almost there but still I would prefer the sport wheels, and the sport trim, so adding all of that to the ex-l would probably cost just as much if not more than the touring. So I've kept coming back to the conclusion that if I want a Civic Hatch, I need to get the touring or else I will likely wish I had gone the extra mile down the road.

I am also not completely sold on Android Auto. It is nice, but I still prefer the Honda navigation and would rather not rely solely on the functionality of Android when I need directions.
Sponsored

Reactions: Phy