First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Hey all,

Relatively new here. I own a 10th gen (2018) civic si coupe I’ve had for about 6 months. After about 1k miles, the shifter feel really started deteriorating while driving the car daily, and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with relief on this? I’ve gathered it’s a common problem, but short of installing a short shifter (I can’t mod, this is a lease at the moment) I haven’t heard of any real solutions. The shifter feel is the worst at low-mid rpms (2.5k-3.5k) and going from 1st to 2nd. Other gears (2-3, 5-6) feel very knotchy as well, but I feel the gear actually being actively knocked out of place by what feels like teeth at an alarming consistency when shifting in to 2nd. Generally speaking, the higher I shift and more spirited I drive, and the quicker I make the shift, the less it does this. But on a daily commute where I’m not wanting to shift the car at 5k, it’s a real issue.

Any insight??? I love the car, but this has become a real issue and really detracts from the driving experience. My focus on the shifter feel distracts me and I feel like it hurts my overall shift. As a side note, when the shifter does go into second like butter, the shift itself ends up being perfectly smooth and effortless.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,

Relatively new here. I own a 10th gen (2018) civic si coupe I’ve had for about 6 months. After about 1k miles, the shifter feel really started deteriorating while driving the car daily, and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with relief on this? I’ve gathered it’s a common problem, but short of installing a short shifter (I can’t mod, this is a lease at the moment) I haven’t heard of any real solutions. The shifter feel is the worst at low-mid rpms (2.5k-3.5k) and going from 1st to 2nd. Other gears (2-3, 5-6) feel very knotchy as well, but I feel the gear actually being actively knocked out of place by what feels like teeth at an alarming consistency when shifting in to 2nd. Generally speaking, the higher I shift and more spirited I drive, and the quicker I make the shift, the less it does this. But on a daily commute where I’m not wanting to shift the car at 5k, it’s a real issue.

Any insight??? I love the car, but this has become a real issue and really detracts from the driving experience. My focus on the shifter feel distracts me and I feel like it hurts my overall shift. As a side note, when the shifter does go into second like butter, the shift itself ends up being perfectly smooth and effortless.

Any thoughts?
I feel your pain. Now I have a lease as well, but i am still modding. Other forum members have tried what I have sitting under my desk awaiting install when i find time.
Type R shifter
Acuity centering spring
Acuity Shifter rocker
Acuity shift cable bushings (installed on mine)
I am also changing the MTF with Amsoil Syncromesh which has had great reviews here from other members.
Now with all that i would expect a world of difference.
The members are very happy with the combo of the Type R shifter and Acuity goodies without the fluid flush.
It’s a disappointment that Honda made a great car, but lacked in a few places and other then the weak clutch they made a very cheap feeling shifter that does not feel sporty at times.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try changing the transmission fluid first as suggested above.

amped_imports

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si , 2003 S2000
Country flag
Yep mine is doing the same. From 1st to 2nd shirts it almost feels like its "falling out" of gear. It doesn't really grind, but it falls out so easily I have found it to grind because the clutch isn't all the way in as I'm not suspecting it to come out of gear so easily. All my other shifts seem fine. I have an oil change sometime in the next month so I'm going to have them take it a spin and see what they can find with it. Maybe the Acuity stuff would help but it feels like something inside the transmission to me and not the linkage.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try changing the transmission fluid first as suggested above.
X2. Before you throw a pile of money at the problem with a bunch of aftermarket parts and mods... just replace the garbage Honda MTF and see what that gets you. It's my 3rd manual Honda/Acura and they all were drastically improved by this and this alone.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hey all,

Any thoughts?
See my post on Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid https://www.civicx.com/threads/changed-mtf-to-amsoil-synchromesh-i-am-happy.32652/

After going thru this post and all the replies, my suggestion is wait for your first oil change so everything is fully broken in

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
3x on changing fluid. I did a full write up and posted it here on Civicx. I went OEM but a lot of members are going to Amsoil. I also recommend the Acuity shifting upgrades. They should run you about $100, take an afternoon and you'll enjoy the car more. Worth.

OP
OP
nrcivicsi10g

nrcivicsi10g

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
3x on changing fluid. I did a full write up and posted it here on Civicx. I went OEM but a lot of members are going to Amsoil. I also recommend the Acuity shifting upgrades. They should run you about $100, take an afternoon and you'll enjoy the car more. Worth.

Thanks everyone who has made this recommendation. Definitely looking into this and will probably end up making the swap on the fluids and seeing where that puts me.

Re: the acuity upgrades - I have a lease - I’m not sure if that would be completely kosher with the dealership. Any thoughts? I know I want to buy out the car, just concerned about it voiding a warranty or my lease agreement.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
If you haven't swapped out your shift knob try that. I came to a conclusion the knob helped alot till about a couple weeks go. I pay close attention to the car so I eventually felt the 1st & 2nd gear crunch so im saving up for the Acuity Short Shifter with bushings. Technically speaking unless you have a problem with your shifter the dealer won't check that. If you're planning on keeping the car at the end of the lease I'd go for it. Makes that traffic shifting so much better.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't mod a leased vehicle to any degree. Sorry if that information was in your post- i missed it.

The acuity stuff can be removed at lease turn in... It would be a pain to do but can be done. BUT if you plan on keeping the Si, do what you want to it.

The N>1>2 shift comes up often on here. Take a look at those posts. I always recommend shifting short (2300RPM) or late (5000) for those gears. Just like you described, it feels odd shifting so late for normal driving but that is what my car prefers for smoother shifting.

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A significantly heavier shift knob helped mask the terrible shifting. I'm installing the type r shift assembly along with the acuity center spring and base bushings on Saturday. Will report in on how that feels .

At my first oil change I'm switching to amsoil MT fluid as well .

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m at 17500 miles or so and my shifter feels a little off as of late. I believe I’m also getting noise from the LSD in sharp curves under load. Don’t know if I’ve just started to notice it or what. Never heard in 2 previous Si’s. I think Honda recommends the trans change at 25k so imma do it a little early.

Can someone post up the specific fluid and viscosity we need for our cars?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m at 17500 miles or so and my shifter feels a little off as of late. I believe I’m also getting noise from the LSD in sharp curves under load. Don’t know if I’ve just started to notice it or what. Never heard in 2 previous Si’s. I think Honda recommends the trans change at 25k so imma do it a little early.

Can someone post up the specific fluid and viscosity we need for our cars?
Honda OEM MT does not list the viscosity, but Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid is listed as 5W30. IMO this is what every Honda MT should have

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda OEM MT does not list the viscosity, but Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid is listed as 5W30. IMO this is what every Honda MT should have
Ah, for some reason I was thinking they offered different viscosities...thank you for the info

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ah, for some reason I was thinking they offered different viscosities...thank you for the info
The other viscosity you see is gear oil. You don't want to use that because it is not good for your syncro's. If you are purchasing from the Amsoil website, it will find you the fluids you need by entering your car info
Sponsored