JoshuaN

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys so I installed the AWE touring exhaust for my type r and have put about 300 miles on it so far but its giving me issues. At around 2100-2600 rpm’s the sound gets really bad inside the car, I’m not sure if its drone or just the volume of the exhaust in that range, but its killing me. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or had something similar happen with a solution for it? If I can’t find a way to fix it I’ll probably end up taking it off because my ears can’t take much more of it, thanks for the help!
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't have that exhaust, haven't heard it from the inside either. My definition of drone is any repetitive noise that occurs. The stock CTR exhaust actually does have a very low drone at a very low frequency. It's drowned out by most other sounds though (including wheel/tire noise), so it's almost never an issue.

Granted my definition of drone may not match everyone else's. I've sat in my friend's car with an exhaust that droned like crazy. He described that exhaust as "no drone".

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
There is a huge thread about the exhaust system in the Engine section. I would suggest bringing it up there, as there are folks who have expressed issues. Good luck and hope you resolve the issue.

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
At around 2100-2600 rpm’s the sound gets really bad inside the car, I’m not sure if its drone or just the volume of the exhaust in that range, but its killing me.
I’m assuming this is 65-70mph in the highway, typically on 5th and 6th gear? It will get better during the break in period. But this is by no means an “OEM+” exhaust. It is going to be a little louder.

OP
OP

JoshuaN

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I’m assuming this is 65-70mph in the highway, typically on 5th and 6th gear? It will get better during the break in period. But this is by no means an “OEM+” exhaust. It is going to be a little louder.
Actually its when I start moving from a stop, its just very loud in that rpm range no matter what gear I’m in. Its the most obvious when I’m slowly building up speed rather than quickly building up speed

OP
OP

JoshuaN

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
There is a huge thread about the exhaust system in the Engine section. I would suggest bringing it up there, as there are folks who have expressed issues. Good luck and hope you resolve the issue.
Thank you I’ll post this there too! I’m new to this forum so I wasn’t sure where would be my best chance of getting some help

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is concerning... I was about to purchase this exhaust because I can't stand the drone on my Thermal R&D. So may good reviews with the AWE Touring, now I am conflicted damn...

OP
OP

JoshuaN

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
This is concerning... I was about to purchase this exhaust because I can't stand the drone on my Thermal R&D. So may good reviews with the AWE Touring, now I am conflicted damn...
Yeah man that’s why I purchased this exhaust too, but the drone in that rpm range is killing me! I’m trying to find a solution because I really like the tone but so far nothing has come up about it yet

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Yeah man that’s why I purchased this exhaust too, but the drone in that rpm range is killing me! I’m trying to find a solution because I really like the tone but so far nothing has come up about it yet
If you search on that thread, you can find several others complaining about the loud booming around that rpm range as well. From what I gather, it's not "droning" but it's pretty loud.

mdm24

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Is your exhaust otherwise stock? Some of the people on the other thread seemed to have aftermarket downpipes. I was thinking about this exhaust too but these issues have me re-considering...

OP
OP

JoshuaN

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
If you search on that thread, you can find several others complaining about the loud booming around that rpm range as well. From what I gather, it's not "droning" but it's pretty loud.
Then the level of volume is pretty bad, it feels like it fills up the whole cabin and is the loudest 2600 then drops off

OP
OP

JoshuaN

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Is your exhaust otherwise stock? Some of the people on the other thread seemed to have aftermarket downpipes. I was thinking about this exhaust too but these issues have me re-considering...
Yeah its stock, all I have is a cold air intake on the car. The people I’ve had in the car say its not that bad so maybe I just have sensitive ears to the sound of it

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys so I installed the AWE touring exhaust for my type r and have put about 300 miles on it so far but its giving me issues. At around 2100-2600 rpm’s the sound gets really bad inside the car, I’m not sure if its drone or just the volume of the exhaust in that range, but its killing me. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or had something similar happen with a solution for it? If I can’t find a way to fix it I’ll probably end up taking it off because my ears can’t take much more of it, thanks for the help!
Sound proofing. See posts 9338 and 9358:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-type-r-today.13242/post-796475

FaDz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 200sx sev6; 2018 civic type-r
Country flag
AWE claims the exhaust needs to be broken in for about 1k miles. When i tested the touring it was significantly loud and droned. After the 700-1k mark it did quiet down a bit and im running a catless downpipe with it
Sponsored