Jims_CTR
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R - 16626 - Championship White
Country flag
Here is a comparison of some sound clips of the AWE Touring Edition Exhaust for the Civic Type R with stock dp / catted dp / catless dp

Exhaust has been broken in well over 1000 miles and my own opinions on each setup

Stock DP
-Deep sounding exhaust with very nice burbles. Drone is at a minimum to none at cruising speeds throughout the RPMs. Exterior sound is very sporty and aggressive (not overly loud). You do hear the exhaust especially on throttle (nice deep sound), but other than that interior sounds are kept to a minimum and very livable.
-(Short drive by)

Catted DP
-Exhaust sound has deepened imho. Burbles are more pronounced, which makes it a very fun exhaust to drive around with.
-Interior sound clip shows the mild resonance that the catted dp introduces with the AWE exhaust. HOWEVER, this is either drone or exhaust note. Imho it is just a more pronounced exhaust note, which some can get mixed with drone, so take it how it is and listen closely to the video as a comparison to other videos.
-(Cruising)
-(Cruising)
-(Exhaust rev)
-Personally, I'd prefer it with a catted dp for the more sporty and aggressive exterior sound. More sound clips can be heard from AWE's videos (). They do a very good job at showing the exact sound that you will get from the exhaust. *My video's do not show the true sound from the iPhone X quality lol as it is much deeper in person*

Catless DP
-Exhaust is crazy loud, but pops and gurgles make it very fun to drive. However, with the introduction of a catless dp, the AWE exhaust's drone RPMs (varying from 2-3k) have increased a little too much for me. It has a very annoying buzzing sound, which imho can be very unbearable for long commutes. *Not girlfriend approved*. However, this setup is very aggressive and will definitely turn necks.
-If I did not have to worry about passenger's then I would run this setup for the deep sounding roar and gurgles the exhaust produces (check video for sound)
-(YouTube/Exhaust Rev/Exhaust flyby)

Conclusion
-AWE's Touring Edition exhaust is a well crafted and tuned exhaust. However, it does have varying exhaust note resonances at varying RPMs, but tolerance to this is subjective to each person. Some may find it very good, some may find it a little too much. Personally, when you're going uphill, it is going to have some more resonances, but I did find myself having to drive at higher RPMs to avoid some of the resonances for catted and catless dp (highway driving). No drone when you're going 80mph and up or 6th gear around 50-58mph or hovering around 3k rpm for catted dp (drone for catless dp). City driving with stock/catted dp is easily livable and fun.
-Nonetheless, the exhaust sound is great, the gurgles make it fun, and daily driving the exhaust is manageable (with stock / catted dp).

Weld Quality
-I have seen others questioning the weld quality on AWE's exhaust, but from my experience and eyes, the welds are done very well. While they may not be the prettiest welds, the TIG welds do the job.
Honda Civic 10th gen AWE Exhaust for Civic Type R - Comparison of Stock DP / Catted DP/ Catless DP upload_2020-1-19_1-14-32

Final Opinion
-Personally, with the AWE exhaust I would learn towards either having it with a stock DP or catted dp because with a catless dp it is too loud (for me). The exhaust tips are BEAUTIFUL on the car. Triple diamond black 4.5in exhaust tips are hard to beat and are a beauty to look at (less cleaning to worry about too). The Touring edition makes it livable and have a deeper sound. One thing i do want to mention is that with Stock / Catted DP, 0 (ZERO) rasp with this exhaust. I hope this helps in choosing your next exhaust! AWE is definitely one to look into if you're looking for a sporty deep sounding exhaust with NO rasp.
Honda Civic 10th gen AWE Exhaust for Civic Type R - Comparison of Stock DP / Catted DP/ Catless DP upload_2020-1-19_1-15-25

Honda Civic 10th gen AWE Exhaust for Civic Type R - Comparison of Stock DP / Catted DP/ Catless DP upload_2020-1-19_1-15-37

OP
OP
JSmoothBui

JSmoothBui

Jims_CTR
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R - 16626 - Championship White
Country flag
I have a couple of other friends with the AWE exhaust that I will try to get more sound clips of as well in the coming weeks.

dre_dayy

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2018 civic
Country flag
Here is a comparison of some sound clips of the AWE Touring Edition Exhaust for the Civic Type R with stock dp / catted dp / catless dp

Exhaust has been broken in well over 1000 miles and my own opinions on each setup

Stock DP
-Deep sounding exhaust with very nice burbles. Drone is at a minimum to none at cruising speeds throughout the RPMs. Exterior sound is very sporty and aggressive (not overly loud). You do hear the exhaust especially on throttle (nice deep sound), but other than that interior sounds are kept to a minimum and very livable.
-(Short drive by)

Catted DP
-Exhaust sound has deepened imho. Burbles are more pronounced, which makes it a very fun exhaust to drive around with.
-Interior sound clip shows the mild resonance that the catted dp introduces with the AWE exhaust. HOWEVER, this is either drone or exhaust note. Imho it is just a more pronounced exhaust note, which some can get mixed with drone, so take it how it is and listen closely to the video as a comparison to other videos.
-(Cruising)
-(Cruising)
-(Exhaust rev)
-Personally, I'd prefer it with a catted dp for the more sporty and aggressive exterior sound. More sound clips can be heard from AWE's videos (). They do a very good job at showing the exact sound that you will get from the exhaust. *My video's do not show the true sound from the iPhone X quality lol as it is much deeper in person*

Catless DP
-Exhaust is crazy loud, but pops and gurgles make it very fun to drive. However, with the introduction of a catless dp, the AWE exhaust's drone RPMs (varying from 2-3k) have increased a little too much for me. It has a very annoying buzzing sound, which imho can be very unbearable for long commutes. *Not girlfriend approved*. However, this setup is very aggressive and will definitely turn necks.
-If I did not have to worry about passenger's then I would run this setup for the deep sounding roar and gurgles the exhaust produces (check video for sound)
-(YouTube/Exhaust Rev/Exhaust flyby)

Conclusion
-AWE's Touring Edition exhaust is a well crafted and tuned exhaust. However, it does have varying exhaust note resonances at varying RPMs, but tolerance to this is subjective to each person. Some may find it very good, some may find it a little too much. Personally, when you're going uphill, it is going to have some more resonances, but I did find myself having to drive at higher RPMs to avoid some of the resonances for catted and catless dp (highway driving). No drone when you're going 80mph and up or 6th gear around 50-58mph or hovering around 3k rpm for catted dp (drone for catless dp). City driving with stock/catted dp is easily livable and fun.
-Nonetheless, the exhaust sound is great, the gurgles make it fun, and daily driving the exhaust is manageable (with stock / catted dp).

Weld Quality
-I have seen others questioning the weld quality on AWE's exhaust, but from my experience and eyes, the welds are done very well. While they may not be the prettiest welds, the TIG welds do the job.
upload_2020-1-19_1-14-32.png

Final Opinion
-Personally, with the AWE exhaust I would learn towards either having it with a stock DP or catted dp because with a catless dp it is too loud (for me). The exhaust tips are BEAUTIFUL on the car. Triple diamond black 4.5in exhaust tips are hard to beat and are a beauty to look at (less cleaning to worry about too). The Touring edition makes it livable and have a deeper sound. One thing i do want to mention is that with Stock / Catted DP, 0 (ZERO) rasp with this exhaust. I hope this helps in choosing your next exhaust! AWE is definitely one to look into if you're looking for a sporty deep sounding exhaust with NO rasp.
upload_2020-1-19_1-15-25.png

upload_2020-1-19_1-15-37.png
Great write up, what DP's were you using?

I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8, 2019 SGP FK7
Country flag
Amazing write up! It sounds amazing. I'm trying to find the perfect exhaust and I've gone through R400 (currently on car) and Milltek non resonated. The Milltek just was too raspy. My option was to keep it on and add a resonated pipe from Milltek but couldn't find just the pipe. The R400 is bad with drone. The first couple days, my ear was swollen from the drone. Now I've gotten used to it and just leave it on.

My other option is maybe an HKS Legamax in the future. But I hate how it only has 2 tips but it's got a nice tone to it and minimal drone. Not super loud either.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Amazing write up! It sounds amazing. I'm trying to find the perfect exhaust and I've gone through R400 (currently on car) and Milltek non resonated. The Milltek just was too raspy. My option was to keep it on and add a resonated pipe from Milltek but couldn't find just the pipe. The R400 is bad with drone. The first couple days, my ear was swollen from the drone. Now I've gotten used to it and just leave it on.

My other option is maybe an HKS Legamax in the future. But I hate how it only has 2 tips but it's got a nice tone to it and minimal drone. Not super loud either.
Ears swollen? Lol it's not that bad.... until you get past 80 and then it's pretty boomy no matter what. The AWE sounds pretty similar to it exhaust note wise.

I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ears swollen? Lol it's not that bad.... until you get past 80 and then it's pretty boomy no matter what. The AWE sounds pretty similar to it exhaust note wise.
My left ear was swollen for a couple days after installing the R400. Either that or I had an ear infection and it was coincidence that it happened at the same time. I am catless DP though too.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My left ear was swollen for a couple days after installing the R400. Either that or I had an ear infection and it was coincidence that it happened at the same time. I am catless DP though too.
Oh, I'm running PRL catted, I love how it sounds. Does it sound raspy at all with a catless? I imagine it would be very loud especially in the cabin lol.

I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh, I'm running PRL catted, I love how it sounds. Does it sound raspy at all with a catless? I imagine it would be very loud especially in the cabin lol.
It's raspier that it's got a catless DP but the tone is still quite deep. I have a lot of burbles when shifting and pops here and there.

Are you running the AWE or Invidia?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's raspier that it's got a catless DP but the tone is still quite deep. I have a lot of burbles when shifting and pops here and there.

Are you running the AWE or Invidia?
Invidia. I'll get a ton of gurgles and low pops on a cold start until the cat warms up. When it's warmed up it will gurgle on downshifts and some random small pops, but the only other time it will noticeably pop is if I max out the fuel pump, or hit the rev limiter. Using the 7,200 rpm redline so I won't hit it. Lol it's real good at letting me know I need to scale back some torque targets. I've got a couple videos I've recorded alone on small stretches of parking lots, but I need to get someone to film me on a flying pass. Through tunnels and under overpasses I must floor it every time.

I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Invidia. I'll get a ton of gurgles and low pops on a cold start until the cat warms up. When it's warmed up it will gurgle on downshifts and some random small pops, but the only other time it will noticeably pop is if I max out the fuel pump, or hit the rev limiter. Using the 7,200 rpm redline so I won't hit it. Lol it's real good at letting me know I need to scale back some torque targets. I've got a couple videos I've recorded alone on small stretches of parking lots, but I need to get someone to film me on a flying pass. Through tunnels and under overpasses I must floor it every time.
Haha I floor mine under tunnels but only sometimes. I did it once and a cop pulled me over. Thinking it was because of flooring it under a tunnel, he actually pulled me over for my tint.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Haha I floor mine under tunnels but only sometimes. I did it once and a cop pulled me over. Thinking it was because of flooring it under a tunnel, he actually pulled me over for my tint.
I thought when I got this car that I would get harassed by the fuzz a lot, but so far they don't even look twice. Coming home from work I jumped onto an on ramp that had a long sweeper that opens up into a downhill straight. Normally I know better to not go blindly around curves for the highway, but I came around the bend pushing 90 and see down on the straight a state trooper sitting outside his cruiser with a radar gun pointed in my direction. I start smacking the steering wheel cursing, I don't brake because what's the point, I just let off the gas and go by him around 70. Guy didn't even look at me as I drove by. I was confused, but that exit is 2 lanes that merge into one and maybe he was trying to catch people racing for position?

Last week one morning pulling in to Wawa backing into a spot I had revved a little to back up the hill as a cop was walking out to his car. He gets in starts it up and starts revving his up several times. Had a little chuckle

Still in a fish bowl, I need some tint soon

I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought when I got this car that I would get harassed by the fuzz a lot, but so far they don't even look twice. Coming home from work I jumped onto an on ramp that had a long sweeper that opens up into a downhill straight. Normally I know better to not go blindly around curves for the highway, but I came around the bend pushing 90 and see down on the straight a state trooper sitting outside his cruiser with a radar gun pointed in my direction. I start smacking the steering wheel cursing, I don't brake because what's the point, I just let off the gas and go by him around 70. Guy didn't even look at me as I drove by. I was confused, but that exit is 2 lanes that merge into one and maybe he was trying to catch people racing for position?

Last week one morning pulling in to Wawa backing into a spot I had revved a little to back up the hill as a cop was walking out to his car. He gets in starts it up and starts revving his up several times. Had a little chuckle

Still in a fish bowl, I need some tint soon
Honestly, most cops where I live don't care. You just have the few who will flag you for everything because they hate their life. The one cop that's notorious here pulled me over for no mud guard on my motorcycle. And guess what he drives? A fully built 67 Mustang that's straight piped and a couple loud ass Harley's. I just think he's a little racist. He only pulls over Asian cars.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Conclusion
Thanks for the detailed review. Bolded portion is my emphasis. Seems like this is the dealbreaker of this exhaust for a lot of people, myself included. Anywhere from 60-80MPH is loud AF, which makes highway cruising untolerable.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
AWE Touring with catted PRL and love it. I don’t hear the drone at all. Drove long distance and not annoying at all that’s why I got it. Compared a lot.

Sound clips on my IG soflotypers
Sponsored

Last edited: