cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan, 2011 Ford Fiesta SES
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

I recently installed the 27WON CAI on my 16 touring sedan and in daily driving, I've noticed my IAT creeping well over 105 degree F in 70 degree weather. I'm also running the RV6 catted DP/FP and the KTuner stage 2 base tune. Before the intake, I was never seeing IATs this high and there's definitely a pretty big powerloss. I've noticed the intake tube for the 27won sits in front of the left front wheel well, and I'm not entirely sure it's getting airflow there. I'm wondering if my Honda sensing unit is blocking some vents that are on other models? Anyone have similar issues? I'm debating cutting the bumper and adding a small scoop to increase airflow to the area.
Sponsored

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a post where a guy cut holes in his bumper fake vent. I have done it to my car too and it helps when the car is moving. Nothing much helps stuck in traffic! :banghead:

Stock airbox modified for cold air.

OP
OP
cm5157

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah, that's kind of what I was thinking of doing, but unfortunately that's exactly where my Honda sensing unit is. :/ Yeah, I know there's not much to do when stopped but my IAT keeps going up even when driving through the city at 30 mph. I'm a little disappointed that the IATs were better stock than with the new CAI.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is the only area behind the fake vent that has a hole. The other areas have a painted frame behind the fake vent.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Hey guys,

I recently installed the 27WON CAI on my 16 touring sedan and in daily driving, I've noticed my IAT creeping well over 105 degree F in 70 degree weather. I'm also running the RV6 catted DP/FP and the KTuner stage 2 base tune. Before the intake, I was never seeing IATs this high and there's definitely a pretty big powerloss. I've noticed the intake tube for the 27won sits in front of the left front wheel well, and I'm not entirely sure it's getting airflow there. I'm wondering if my Honda sensing unit is blocking some vents that are on other models? Anyone have similar issues? I'm debating cutting the bumper and adding a small scoop to increase airflow to the area.
By opening any shielding near that lower intake inlet you will risk water induction.
When increasing the size of the turbo over stock, a less "restrictive" intake is advantages. Other than that, there isn't really any real world advantage with improving the stock box. This can be applied to actual "G Force" (momentum) and what is really being gained - the results are negligible BOTH in actual # and butt dyno. For an extreme enthusiast hoping to get the absolute most they can in performance would opt for any advantage to support them in a racing application. Just remember, that they are living in "higher" REV ranges the majority of the time. The 1.5L Honda's are not "high REV" engines - without making changes to other areas (Intakes don't change that).

Now, your IAT may be increasing; but what is important is your IAT2 (post intake charge temp).
It would be in the best interest to control that one better.
* Aftermarket grill design to allow more airflow into the engine bay (dissapate more radiating heat)
* A more efficient Intercooler
OR
* A more efficient Turbo
OR
Both IC & Turbo

Note:
The more PSI that is requested of a less efficient turbo will generate more heat in the engine bay and into the IC.
Run less PSI or upgrade the intercooler.
Either way - your IAT will not change, but your IAT2 will.

Hope that helps....

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If you let it sit, the intake temp will increase. Of course, if you start moving, the intake is sucking in more air and is cooler. I don't have a shield on my downpipe so my result is more noticeable on my 27won intake. Letting it sit, my engine bay would heat up pretty easy, once I start moving, my intake start going down, even more so if I give more gas. I cut the vent to match the other side, doesn't help idle but probably not a big difference either from moving.

R.Andre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have the 27won intake as well and my temperature don't go that high. The highest I saw was 85 but once I started driving on the freeway it went down.

OP
OP
cm5157

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I should clarify that the IATs are hitting 40 deg C in normal 30mph driving as well, on hot Texas days for sure but still. My Rv6 DP is ceramic coated. I'm just curious why the temps are so much higher vs the stock airbox, thought the CAI would have the obvious advantage when moving.

Chandler92

First Name
Chandler Boyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
With my maperformance intake I can see temps before the intercooler upwards to 140

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I should clarify that the IATs are hitting 40 deg C in normal 30mph driving as well, on hot Texas days for sure but still. My Rv6 DP is ceramic coated. I'm just curious why the temps are so much higher vs the stock airbox, thought the CAI would have the obvious advantage when moving.
I'm wondering why a CAI would not have the same obvious advantage when sitting still.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I'm wondering why a CAI would not have the same obvious advantage when sitting still.
Most of that is the fact the throttle body is ALMOST completely closed at idle and the car's using ignition timing to adjust idle speed; which equates to very little system flow.

Couple this with high coolant temp turn on switches and the fans saturation of components it's blowing on...

Pretty much every arrangement stock or not will eventually appear "out of hand" when stationary long enough.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I hope those posting iat numbers are checking everything with the ac off completely. If the ac is on at all it has the fan running the entire time. This trys to keep the engine bay heat soaked essentially and RAPIDLY accelerates the speed of every thing getting hot.

Reactions: Myx

Dirtychonies

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Currently running the Mishimoto intake without the box and PRL FMIC with Ktuner stage1. It's 105 here in Bakersfield,CA. My IAT1 is at 150 and IAT2 and 115. There is some power loss but not much you can do when its hot af.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx