Automobile review - 2016 Civic vs 2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Civic's first attempt at CVT for 2014 and 2105 ended up in recalls.
Incorrect sir....
mid 90's Civic HX...very troublesome
All AT Civic Hybrids had CVT...very troublesome

Also, outside of Civic another early Honda CVT was the Insight (Gen 1)
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And the more recent issues related to the CVT were more software issues. The accord CVT had the jutter problem, fixed with a software update. The current recall for the civic CVT was more a manufacturing discrepancy with suppliers and was fixed with a software update. Given that the issues recently have been as simple as a quick update, i'd wouldn't consider those reliability issues (they'd become reliability issues if you chose not to get them fixed) but i'd say overall honda's CVTs, despite the minor hiccups, recently have been pretty good. There's a reason they're touted by almost every single publication as being one of, if not the best, in the business.

Civil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic '97 (still running)
Vehicle Showcase
This is from Honda website which shows that programming was not the only problem with the 2015 Civic's CVT, it was also mechanical:

Honda Civic 10th gen Automobile review - 2016 Civic vs 2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring upload_2015-11-17_14-24-42

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
This is from Honda website which shows that programming was not the only problem with the 2015 Civic's CVT, it was also mechanical:

upload_2015-11-17_14-24-42.png
no no no there's nothing to see here.....move along and drink the kool-aid folks

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

upload_2015-11-17_14-24-42.png
That's what I was saying in my post though. It was a suppliers manufacturing issue that was corrected with a software update and would only become a mechanical problem if left as is without the update.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
That's what I was saying in my post though. It was a suppliers manufacturing issue that was corrected with a software update and would only become a mechanical problem if left as is without the update.
Or the failure point pushed outside of warranty coverage. They used software to extend the life of a non-compliant part.........

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Sorry, I'm an IT guy and used an IT analogy. Microsoft Windows are known to be buggy every time they are released. Instead of spending money to the kinks out, Microsoft lets the users stress test them and find the bugs. They then start releasing updates to address the issues, which is kind of equivalent to auto recalls.
Me too. And I haven't had Windows crash in probably a decade. :) But there's no way Microsoft could know about all the bugs for the millions of different configurations end users will be using. Auto manufacturers don't have much of excuse.
Sponsored