Automatic Wipers not working

boston7686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 17 Touring Coupe, and I've noticed for the past month whenever it rains, I switch to the AUTO wiper feature, and it does one swipe. I change the sensitivity to the maximum level, and it still only does the first initial wipe. Even when driving, the windshield gets to the point of not being able to see, and it won't ever wipe. I have to either have the medium speed wipe, or I have to switch up and have it swipe once whenever I need it.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 17 Touring Coupe, and I've noticed for the past month whenever it rains, I switch to the AUTO wiper feature, and it does one swipe. I change the sensitivity to the maximum level, and it still only does the first initial wipe. Even when driving, the windshield gets to the point of not being able to see, and it won't ever wipe. I have to either have the medium speed wipe, or I have to switch up and have it swipe once whenever I need it.
I have a 2016 Touring and this is my biggest gripe about this car. The feature doesn't work. It works a little better during the day, but an night, forget about it.

The only thing I read that may help some people, is to check the sensor near the rearview mirror. Look at it from the outside and you will see a square sheet of silicone. If it looks crooked, have the dealer adjust it. But mine is straight and it still is terrible. I wish I was able to convert it back to a delay wiper.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too have a '17 Coupe Touring. My automatic wipers do "work". You may have a defective sensor (it's one of the cameras in front of the rear view mirror). Take it to the dealer.

I use work in quotation marks because 90% of the time they are either too slow or too fast for the situation.

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same issues. Sometimes they don't wipe at all and other times they are wiping too fast with little rain on the windshield. Sometimes they work fine...maybe 60% of the time. I had mine "checked" last week, but they couldn't reproduce any problem. I put checked in quotes because when I got my car it looked to me like the tech never activated the wipers. Windshield was clean with no waters spots or any signs that water was sprayed on it to check out the wipers in action. Other than looking to see that the pad was in place properly, I don't think the tech did anything else.

Grizzly847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
My 2017 Civic Touring Sedan needed the sensor replaced, as did my wife's 2016 Touring CRV. Faulty factory part or poor installation at the factory. That is what warrantee is for. Both cars function now. Cheers

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2017 Civic Touring Sedan needed the sensor replaced, as did my wife's 2016 Touring CRV. Faulty factory part or poor installation at the factory. That is what warrantee is for. Both cars function now. Cheers
How well do your automatic wipers work with the new sensors? Is it like mine and the previous poster, where they kind of work, but not exactly how they should? Do they ever stop completely even when it is raining, or they continually wipe even when it stops raining?

Grizzly847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
How well do your automatic wipers work with the new sensors? Is it like mine and the previous poster, where they kind of work, but not exactly how they should? Do they ever stop completely even when it is raining, or they continually wipe even when it stops raining?
If you mean do I leave the wipers on the automatic setting the answer is no. When it rains I turn them on auto. I have noticed after the rain they periodically wipe so I turn them off. What I don't like is the speed setting is manual. That sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? They function more as intermittent wipers than auto ones like my Mom's Kia.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If you mean do I leave the wipers on the automatic setting the answer is no. When it rains I turn them on auto. I have noticed after the rain they periodically wipe so I turn them off. What I don't like is the speed setting is manual. That sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? They function more as intermittent wipers than auto ones like my Mom's Kia.
It's supposed to be a 'sensitivity' setting, so you can adjust it to your liking. But it should still change speeds depending on how hard it is raining.

Grizzly847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
It's supposed to be a 'sensitivity' setting, so you can adjust it to your liking. But it should still change speeds depending on how hard it is raining.
I'll do a hose test when my wife brings the car home. Haven't had a hard rain since the fix to be certain.

Grizzly847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
I'll do a hose test when my wife brings the car home. Haven't had a hard rain since the fix to be certain.
Sorry for the delay. Sometimes life gets in the way. My wipers work as intended now. Set to automatic. Set frequency all the way up. When moisture collects on the windscreen the wipers activate. After rain stops so do the wipers. They are sensitive and will activate with very light sprinkles and they do speed up when the rain intensifies but not too much. I find the high speed setting on the wipers is just adequate to begin with. If yours do not work correctly have it looked at under warrantee. I'm satisfied now, cheers.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2016 Civic Touring has nothing but problems, and the intermittent wipers are one of the issues. Just a month or so ago, they reseated the sensor to get bubbles out. It worked for one rain storm, now it's back to completely not working, and it has bubbles in the sensor again. Useless. I've got the trunk popping open, the center screen goes nuts and beeps and goes to the home screen endlessly driving me crazy, autolock does multiple beeps and won't lock the car, the AC broke. Besides the AC, all intermittent problems that Honda doesn't like to look at, since it doesn't do it when it is there. With the exception of the trunk popping open which did get so bad that I couldn't even drive it, as the trunk wouldn't stay closed any more. They changed the body control module twice now. It fixes the trunk issue for a few months, then starts back at it. But it's coming up on three years now, and I've dealt with these issues all three years. What a piece of junk, that they can't seem to fix.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Basic trim '16 LX. Paid much less. No crumby auto wipers, but nice intermittent, low, high, etc.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I own a 2016 LX, I wish I had variable intermittent, it's not included in this model.
Ha - and I was I had just basic low tech intermittent. These auto ones are crap. If they don't ever work, it isn't worth it. When they did work, despite being able to adjust them, I find they go too fast, too slow, etc. I don't need them going on the crazy super fast speed when it is just sprinkling.

ooolEXILElooo

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Check this out. I just bought my 2017 Type R a few weeks ago. And on the 5hr drive to my parents to let them see the car it started misting. Found out real quick that intermittent does not work AT ALL, medium was actually HIGH and high was high. So they either were off or on full blast. So even before all the paperwork was signed we told the Honda dealership about the problem and they said they would fix it. """Keep in mind you the dealership is an hour away from where we live.""" So we took the car back. In short terms this is how it went....and is STILL going. Took car to dealership, they did tests and gave it back 2 days later, NOT fixed. took it back again cuz they ordered a switch and were gonna install it. The installed it to find that it did NOT fix the problem. Switched wiper motors. Did not fix problem. Switched BCM, did NOT fix problem. Now they say they are running tests on the wiring. Evidently they can get the wipers to work on intermittent through their shops computer but cant get them to work any way at all within the car itself. They also lost their Tech during all of this. So they have been on the phone talking to Tech from the manufacturer. And evidently NO ONE at any dealership or Manufacturing place has EVER had a problem like this with the Type R and they are completely baffled. Honda has had my new Type R in the shop getting it repaired longer than I have actually had it in my posession. Its been about a month now....actually it has been a month because I paid my first payment day before yesterday. lol If ANYONE has had this issue, please let me know. OH and evidently now they are saying my Type R comes with this thing called a Multiplex. Not sure if they have replaced this yet or not but I am so OVER this. Im about to say fuck it and just deal with having nothing but wide open wipers when it rains. :-(

I am a wiring expert and could be considered a tech myself seeing as how I have worked on cars sense I was 8. So I can read wiring diagrams. And I have the diags of this car. So if I get it back....maybe I could wire up my own intermittent. lmao Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or if you have had this problem before and found out what it is, please let me know. And according to them, I do not have rain sensing wipers...just simple intermittent.
Sponsored