dfastr

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I know this may sound like sacrilege, but does anyone know of a shop with experience converting a TypeR to an automatic transmission?

I frickin love my CTR, but I'm losing the ability to operate the stick-shift due to ALS.. A conversion like this would help me keep driving it a while longer.

Thanks for any input!
-DFASTR

Honda Civic 10th gen Automatic Transmission Conversion? 13FF9875-7AFA-49AA-86BC-E028ACA8EB16
Sponsored

akadic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold) CTR 1722
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the ALS :(

A few things you should consider:

• Which transmissions physically fit?
    • Honda Accord 10AT?
  • Cost
    • I can't imagine the Accord or the new TLX transmissions to be cheap
    • Labor will likely be a monster as well
  • When it is time to sell/trade in
    • It would personally turn me off as "something is wrong with this car" when looking to buy a CTR

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I know this may sound like sacrilege, but does anyone know of a shop with experience converting a TypeR to an automatic transmission?

I frickin love my CTR, but I'm losing the ability to operate the stick-shift due to ALS.. A conversion like this would help me keep driving it a while longer.

Thanks for any input!
-DFASTR

13FF9875-7AFA-49AA-86BC-E028ACA8EB16.jpeg
Anything is possible, I'd engage with a speed shop in your area that specializes in Honda / Type R's and see what's possible.

Enjoy it my friend for as long as you can.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
dang that sucks man. I don't think the cost would be worth it. I know this won't make much sense, but that new Acura TLX Type S is supposed to be a turbo'd 6 cyl...that would be pretty sick to have! I think it's auto maybe?

But yeah, maybe just trade in for the Accord 2.0T

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m really sorry to hear about your ALS. I hope that you can keep it at bay.

As for your car, the conversion wouldn’t be worth it. The cost not only would be astronomical, the car would lose a lot of value, but could potentially be near impossible unless you had serious dough to invest into the project. And you might be without your car for a long time and you would have to arrange alternate transportation for a long time.

I think your best alternative is to trade in (or sell private) and pick up an Accord Sport/Touring 2.0 with the 10AT. Or maybe a TLX with the SH-AWD/V6 or the 2.4.

Regardless the outcome with the car, take care of yourself. Keep up the fight :)

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
If you have the cash, anything can be done.

Or just buy the accord with the 2.0T and an auto.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
I don’t think the cost of conversion will be worth it man. Not to mention you don’t know if it is going to be reliable trying to retrofit a transmission into the Type R. At that cost, maybe just get an S3, M2 or something with DCT.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Yeah as others have said im worry about your ALS :(. I am hearing great things about the TLS Type S, hopefully that will be automatic. You can have some Fun, keep the reliability and some added luxury as well. Stay strong

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Sell the type r. Get another car with an automatic.
There are plenty of great ones out there.

Thank me later.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
trade it in for the tlx type s when it comes!

OP
OP
dfastr

dfastr

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the kind words! I got my CTR just barely over a year ago so I'm still pretty attached to it, but I think the consensus here is good advice... I'll take a look at the TLS Type S! I've also seen the 2.0T in action and it def has some pep... I did test drive the M3 not long ago and it felt ridiculously boring compared to my R :p

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
If you want a hatch and need automatic, it’s hard to go wrong with a Golf R DSG. They look sedate, but they are crazy quick with a tune and a decent set of tires.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the kind words! I got my CTR just barely over a year ago so I'm still pretty attached to it, but I think the consensus here is good advice... I'll take a look at the TLS Type S! I've also seen the 2.0T in action and it def has some pep... I did test drive the M3 not long ago and it felt ridiculously boring compared to my R :p
Could also go a bit different - I love my dual clutch auto in my M2 - I'd recommend looking for a 2017 used with that transmission, the engine sounds a LOT better than the current model and is a very reliable and fun car (and fast).

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi everyone,
The Mk3 Audi TT RS sounds sublime, has 400 hp, AWD, and is one of the last coupe sports cars out there. It also comes with a DCT.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't have anything else to add to this thread other than saying I'm really sorry about your situation and hope you find something that works for you. All the best.
Sponsored