Automatic High Beams Don't Stay Disabled

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I've checked the owners manual and I've followed the instructions for disabling automatic high beams. I even see the double blink of the high beam icon in the dash. The very next day, the damn things are right back to being on again. Is this by design? Am I really supposed to disable this feature every time I start the car?

Thanks for any insight here.
Sponsored

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Unfortunately I've noticed the same thing. Also curious if there's a way to permanently disable them.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I never tried to disable the Auto High-Beam feature, so I don't know if disabling it works as described or not. I consider it one of the best features on the civic.

But if I wanted to disable it, I would simply not turn the headlight switch to AUTO but all the way to the last position. All the other automatic lighting control features that activate in AUTO (besides Auto high beams) are useless to me anyway.

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I use the manual headlight switch now because I've verified that the process to disable auto high-beams in the manual does not work as advertised. Using the manual switch defeats the purpose of automatic lights though. I was hoping I could rid myself of what I consider the most erratic feature in the car thus far.

xenon04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a high beam system permanently turned off for over a year
works as instructed in manual (in mine page 210, hold for more than 40 seconds light control lever)

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I have a high beam system permanently turned off for over a year
works as instructed in manual (in mine page 210, hold for more than 40 seconds light control lever)
I did that exact process but the damn things turn right back on the next day.

Did you have your car running in park or just the ignition set at run? I don't have a push button ignition on my Civic which is why I'm asking.

xenon04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
I disabled mines a couple of months ago. I haven't notice it ever turn on again.

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did anybody got this turned off permanently?
I did the 40sec. thing and it still works...
I hate the auto high beam feature ,it turns on whenever it is too dark and it drivers in front of me get annoyed.I don't even know why honda put this as a auto feature i never use those lights ,haven't used them in my life...

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Did anybody got this turned off permanently?
I did the 40sec. thing and it still works...
I hate the auto high beam feature ,it turns on whenever it is too dark and it drivers in front of me get annoyed.I don't even know why honda put this as a auto feature i never use those lights ,haven't used them in my life...
One of my favorite features. :nixon: Always on and works perfectly for me.

When I don't want it, which happens almost never, I would turn the switch one more notch to the end (out of AUTO). I don't care for any other auto lights features except for auto high beams. I always turn the lights to OFF before leaving the car, and turn to AUTO when it's dark.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of my favorite features. :nixon: Always on and works perfectly for me.

When I don't want it, which happens almost never, I would turn the switch one more notch to the end (out of AUTO). I don't care for any other auto lights features except for auto high beams. I always turn the lights to OFF before leaving the car, and turn to AUTO when it's dark.
It's great when you're living somewhere where you actually need it ,in the woods or country roads or whatever .But i don't drive there ,the high beams turn on random on the highway,sometimes when driving behind someone in a place with bad lighting.Yes i can turn the auto feature off which is what i'm doing now.But if there's a way to turn off the high beams permanently that would be even better.

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I did get this to turn off using the process in this thread but I've found yet another wrinkle in this feature. If you flash the high beams by pulling back on the stalk, it will eventually turn auto high beams back on again. You'll have to go through the process all over again to disable it.

It seems that the car keeps track of how long you pull back on the high beam stalk and after, you guessed it, 40 seconds of time it enables auto high beams.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Permanently disabling worked out by pulling the stalk for 40 seconds. Enabling it again needs another 30 second pull on the stalk.

I've mine activated most of the time and deactivate it only for some trips.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic coupe touring
Country flag
If you are still having problems. When trying to disable the system, when you are holding the lever back, it flashes ONCE at 30 seconds- release then to activate. But if you want it off, keep holding an additional 10 seconds until it flashes TWICE, then release.
Sponsored