Automatic door lock keeps engaging when accelerating

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I noticed this problem today when driving. I have the automatic door lock feature turned on. Every time I accelerated from a stop, the doors would try to lock again even though they were already locked. Anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it?
everything was fine the last time I drove the car a few days ago.

I also want to ask that if this could be related to the beeps missing when I lock and unlock the doors. Not sure how to re-engage that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BraveLitlToaster

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I noticed this problem today when driving. I have the automatic door lock feature turned on. Every time I accelerated from a stop, the doors would try to lock again even though they were already locked. Anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it?

I also want to ask that if this could be related to the beeps missing when I lock and unlock the doors. Not sure how to re-engage that.

I've now noticed the same issues in my 2017 civic touring sedan. Each time I accelerate beyond 10 mph the doors - which are all locked - attempt to re-lock. Has any solution been found or technical advisory released?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I've now noticed the same issues in my 2017 civic touring sedan. Each time I accelerate beyond 10 mph the doors - which are all locked - attempt to re-lock. Has any solution been found or technical advisory released?
You have a door lock switch malfunctioning. Each door will have a lock knob, a switch integrated into the latch, that tells the security system if the door is locked or not. If one of them reads UNLOCKED while driving the auto lock feature will keep trying to lock the doors again and again. You will need to hook it up to a higher dollar scan tool in order to see the readings from all the door lock switches, it should be pretty easy to narrow down which one it is once you can see the readings.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You may want to try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes, I have an issue where once or twice a year my doors stop unlocking when i touch the inside of the door handle if it sits more than 5 or so minutes. A quick disconnect of the battery and its fine for a few months.

BraveLitlToaster

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag

SOLUTION: The following process resets the sequence in which the vehicle checks and arms sensors. Extreme temperature changes or sudden introduction of moisture can case a fault, and trigger an erroneous arming sequence. To be clear, this is the solution to the doors continuously relocking each time you accelerate beyond 10mph, resolves repeated false alarms while locked and parked with the engine off, resolves a failure to auto-lock on walk away, and resolves a failure to autostart from the key fob.

1) OPEN the hood
2) Set the alarm or lock the doors
3) Unlock the car
4) Close the hood
5) Set the alarm

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
SOLUTION: The following process resets the sequence in which the vehicle checks and arms sensors. Extreme temperature changes or sudden introduction of moisture can case a fault, and trigger an erroneous arming sequence. To be clear, this is the solution to the doors continuously relocking each time you accelerate beyond 10mph, resolves repeated false alarms while locked and parked with the engine off, resolves a failure to auto-lock on walk away, and resolves a failure to autostart from the key fob.

1) OPEN the hood
2) Set the alarm or lock the doors
3) Unlock the car
4) Close the hood
5) Set the alarm
This didn't work on my car. Maybe I didn't do it properly?

1) OPEN the hood - okay
2) Set the alarm or lock the doors - lock the door
3) Unlock the car - does the method to unlock matter? I used the key fob.
4) Close the hood - okay
5) Set the alarm - what method to set the alarm? Just locking the doors?

I just pulled the battery cable and I'm leaving the car sit for a while. If there is a better method though, I'd like to know.

BraveLitlToaster

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
This didn't work on my car. Maybe I didn't do it properly?

1) OPEN the hood - okay
2) Set the alarm or lock the doors - lock the door
3) Unlock the car - does the method to unlock matter? I used the key fob.
4) Close the hood - okay
5) Set the alarm - what method to set the alarm? Just locking the doors?

I just pulled the battery cable and I'm leaving the car sit for a while. If there is a better method though, I'd like to know.
By 'set the alarm' I mean press the lock button on the key fob as many times as necessary to hear the doors lock and the audible 'beep' from the car.

alternatively, I do suspect a complete discharge / battery disconnect will solve this as well. I had success by disconnecting the battery, pressing the engine start button repeatedly (to assure electrical discharge) then leave battery disconnected for 4 hours. Upon reconnection of the battery car functioned as expected.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Fixed (I think.) Followed the procedure to turn OFF the auto door lock feature, but instead of that happening, it put the car back the way it's supposed to work; the doors lock at about 10mph, and once locked, it doesn't try to lock again. The owner's manual states that what I did should turn off the auto lock feature, but whatever. It's working properly now.
Sponsored