4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
So for months I had been locking the car using the fob or the black door handle button. A few weeks ago I enabled walk away auto lock. It works normally most of the time, but sometimes when I exit the car with fob in hand, the car goes beep-beep-beep-beep as if something is wrong (like when you leave the fob in the car or trunk). I then use the fob to lock it. This error has been cropping up more often the last week or two.
Then one day my wife reported she could not start the car. I assumed she was doing something wrong, like not pressing the brake pedal. She said after pressing "lots of things" it came on. I figured it was operator error.

After work yesterday, the car beeped at me again when I exited, so I used the fob to lock it. Last night my wife tried to use the car for an errand but came back in the house and said the car would not start. I went down and tried it myself, and sure enough, the displays and lights came on but the engine would not start. The brake pedal was hard as a rock and would not budge when pressed. Start button seemed deactivated. Because the brake pedal was stuck I released the parking brake and moved the shifter to N, then pressed the start button and the engine came to life. Today the car started normally again, but I disabled the auto lock function.

So..autolock was glitching numerous times recently. It glitched just before the next car trip in which the car did not start. I have to relate one to the other here--that's my theory based on cause and effect. Anyone else experience this problem?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chris823

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic, 2007 civic.
Vehicle Showcase
So for months I had been locking the car using the fob or the black door handle button. A few weeks ago I enabled walk away auto lock. It works normally most of the time, but sometimes when I exit the car with fob in hand, the car goes beep-beep-beep-beep as if something is wrong (like when you leave the fob in the car or trunk). I then use the fob to lock it. This error has been cropping up more often the last week or two.
Then one day my wife reported she could not start the car. I assumed she was doing something wrong, like not pressing the brake pedal. She said after pressing "lots of things" it came on. I figured it was operator error.

After work yesterday, the car beeped at me again when I exited, so I used the fob to lock it. Last night my wife tried to use the car for an errand but came back in the house and said the car would not start. I went down and tried it myself, and sure enough, the displays and lights came on but the engine would not start. The brake pedal was hard as a rock and would not budge when pressed. Start button seemed deactivated. Because the brake pedal was stuck I released the parking brake and moved the shifter to N, then pressed the start button and the engine came to life. Today the car started normally again, but I disabled the auto lock function.

So..autolock was glitching numerous times recently. It glitched just before the next car trip in which the car did not start. I have to relate one to the other here--that's my theory based on cause and effect. Anyone else experience this problem?
Salesman at my local dealer experienced the same issue and reported it to Honda, I'd get with your local service center and see if they have any information on fixing it.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
It seems that many people use the walk away lock feature and haven't had the start up problem you describe. Probably not directly related.

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
I always use auto lock and never have had any issues with the car starting from the button. It also always goes 'beep beep beep' when I turn off the car if I get off the seat but the key is still inside, indicating the door can't lock because the fob is still inside. That is working as intended.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Your issue is probably more likely related to the brakes. As it required to be pressed in order to start. Or the battery in your FOB is going flat and as far as the car is concerned it can't detect the fob at all. I guess if you get 100% success rate with walk away turned off then it might be related. I use walk away and have never hd an issue with the car starting.

OP
OP
4DBox

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
After turning off autolock, I've not had any issues with non-start. Again, a non-start has never happened to me in 9 months of daily commuting, only my wife-twice. However, we both experienced the car acting erratically upon autolock exiting with fob in hand, giving a warning for no reason. This happened maybe 1 out of 4 exits. Could just be a quirk of my car, bad sensor or something.
Sponsored