usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
While I love the auto high beam feature on my 2019 Civic when the feature works, I've noticed a couple issues with it over my 2+ years of ownership.

The first issue is that often on a pitch black road, they will take forever to come on--like 10 seconds. Other times they seem to come on instantly (as it should be). When they take a long time to come on, there aren't any oncoming cars or other bright light sources at the car level that could be detected as oncoming vehicles, so it's not that.

The second issue isn't as common, but occasionally I've been driving behind a vehicle at night that has its taillights on, and for some reason the auto high beams on my Civic will turn on and then off again after a second or less, making it look like I'm purposely flashing my high beams at the driver in front of me--very embarrassing (but thankfully hasn't resulted in road rage . . . yet).

Anyone else experience either of these issues?

Thankfully the one functionality of the feature that has always worked without fail is deactivating for oncoming traffic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It’s a garbage feature on every previous generation Honda. It’s completely unusable on the Ridgeline. I’m pretty happy I don't have any Honda sensing features on my Si and Accord.

I bet it works a lot better on the new cars that all got a redesign.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Or you could go old school and just use high beams manually. I don't even set my lights on automatic. However some people might need automatic lights considering I was pulling out of work while dark since I'm second shift and a Honda pilot flew by with lights off going 40 right when I was about to pull out. Only reason car wasnt totaled was I had my windows down and could hear the mf coming. He turned his lights on after passing me wanting to turn on 30 mph road. I eventually got next to him on and let him know my displeasure. Didn't flick him off though just romped by him on next major road.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Or you could go old school and just use high beams manually. I don't even set my lights on automatic. However some people might need automatic lights considering I was pulling out of work while dark since I'm second shift and a Honda pilot flew by with lights off going 40 right when I was about to pull out. Only reason car wasnt totaled was I had my windows down and could hear the mf coming. He turned his lights on after passing me wanting to turn on 30 mph road. I eventually got next to him on and let him know my displeasure. Didn't flick him off though just romped by him on next major road.
Well, the 2019 Civic has DRLs so it would never be totally dark even if I didn't have my normal beams set for auto and forgot to turn them on. But I do have those set for auto as well. I mean, why not? If there's a technology that makes life easier--even just a little bit--why not take advantage of it? I could do all my math with pencil and paper, but normally use a calculator or voice commands with my watch or phone. Does that mean I'm incapable of doing it manually? No, it just means I work smarter, not harder.

So I'm interested in replies from people with actual experience with the feature. It's there, and it should work properly. Telling me, "Well just don't use it" isn't helpful. I'm trying to determine if this is just a less than great design or if it's specific to my vehicle.

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
It's a less than great design. It uses the camera at the top centre edge of the windshield and it can be easily fooled by a lot of things.

The only time I've ever found mine to be 100% predicable is when I pull into the garage after all the driving, when I really needed them, is done.

You don't like the, 'just don't use it' replies, but honestly, which is worse - rely on something that isn't reliable, or just turn the headlights off and on the old-school way?

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's a less than great design. It uses the camera at the top centre edge of the windshield and it can be easily fooled by a lot of things.

The only time I've ever found mine to be 100% predicable is when I pull into the garage after all the driving, when I really needed them, is done.

You don't like the, 'just don't use it' replies, but honestly, which is worse - rely on something that isn't reliable, or just turn the headlights off and on the old-school way?
My point was I asked a question: "Anyone else experience either of these issues?" which obviously implies I'm seeking feedback from other Civic drivers who have used the feature. The other poster hasn't even used the feature and was basically just saying not to use the feature. That's why it wasn't helpful.

Well, based on your description, I have better luck with mine than you do, so there's that. But not coming on when it's basically a pitch black road still doesn't make sense. What's there to "fool" the system in that scenario? Other times on less dark roads the brights will activate faster, even with LED street lights, etc. around. Go figure.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Well, the 2019 Civic has DRLs so it would never be totally dark even if I didn't have my normal beams set for auto and forgot to turn them on. But I do have those set for auto as well. I mean, why not? If there's a technology that makes life easier--even just a little bit--why not take advantage of it? I could do all my math with pencil and paper, but normally use a calculator or voice commands with my watch or phone. Does that mean I'm incapable of doing it manually? No, it just means I work smarter, not harder.

So I'm interested in replies from people with actual experience with the feature. It's there, and it should work properly. Telling me, "Well just don't use it" isn't helpful. I'm trying to determine if this is just a less than great design or if it's specific to my vehicle.
Sorry I don't think auto high beams is on 19 Civic si. If it does was never aware. Probably on touring models, etc. Sorry to waste your time. I really just wanted to say my story about close encounter with dumbass without lights on.
Sponsored