Auto headlights don't turn off in daylight or when I shut the car off

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2016 Civic Touring just started having this problem today. I was driving during daylight and I noticed that the headlights and fog light indicators were on. I keep my headlight switch on Auto, and fog lights set to On. Even after shutting the car off, the headlights stayed on even after the interior lights went off. I had to turn them off manually. I started the car again with them off, then turned them to Auto, and they came on again. I checked the windshield sensor to make sure it was clean, which it was, and nothing new was near the mirror. (I have a parking tag hanging on the mirror which has been there since day 1 and hasn't moved.)

Besides rodent damage, is there anything else I should check?
Sponsored

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Besides rodent damage, is there anything else I should check?
What is the "Headlight Auto OFF Timer" setting? That's the time the lights will stay on after you close the driver's door. It can be as high as 60 seconds.

There's a separate setting for the interior lights.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The DRLs and external lights on the car don't shut off for me until a few seconds after it realizes the key is out of the car and locked. So if you're sitting in the car waiting for them to shut off, they'll stay on for longer; they will eventually shut off, but it normally takes them a few minutes. If you leave the car and walk away it should shut off pretty quickly.

OP
OP
calonzo

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Ok. I will check those things. But that would not explain why they were one while I was driving during the daytime.
Sponsored