Auto dimming not working

orion13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-L with Honda Sensing
Bought a brand new Civic EXL with Honda sensing and drove off from the dealer's lot around 8 pm with 3 miles on it and the Auto dimming mirror did not work. The next night same issue. When I use my finger to block the front sensor on the rear view mirror it starts working slowly. When i remove my finger it again does not dim the bright lights. This is a safety issue at night since there isn't a manual day/night switch on the mirror. Have to take it back to dealer to get it fixed. They said it maybe a bad sensor or electrical issue. I am surprised of having to go back to dealer to fix an issue/replacement part within 2 days of buying a new car.
Anyone else have issues with auto dimming not working?
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Not sure I understand your expectation, but it sounds as though at least the front facing sensor is working and so is the dimming. The ones I'm familiar with have two sensors, one facing forward--the one you've covered--and one facing backward. If the amount of light coming from the front facing sensor is "low", and the amount of light in the rear facing sensor is "high", then it dims. I.e., it won't dim just because it's dark outside. It also needs light--as though from a pair of headlights following you--falling on the rear face of the mirror. One way to test them is, in daylight, to open the sunshade to fill the cabin with light and then put your finger over the front facing sensor. Could be the rear facing sensor is bad? Simple part to change, though.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Bought a brand new Civic EXL with Honda sensing and drove off from the dealer's lot around 8 pm with 3 miles on it and the Auto dimming mirror did not work. The next night same issue. When I use my finger to block the front sensor on the rear view mirror it starts working slowly. When i remove my finger it again does not dim the bright lights. This is a safety issue at night since there isn't a manual day/night switch on the mirror. Have to take it back to dealer to get it fixed. They said it maybe a bad sensor or electrical issue. I am surprised of having to go back to dealer to fix an issue/replacement part within 2 days of buying a new car.
Anyone else have issues with auto dimming not working?
Hi. Mine rear view is not working since yesterday. Any clue how to fix it up. My dealer recently changed the whole rear winshield as it had broken defogger elements.
Sponsored