Auto crossing my si for the first time. Tips?

Blue18SI

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan, 1989 crx hf
Country flag
So at the end of the month I’ll be entering a local auto cross novice school. I figured there would be a good place to start if I want to look more into the sport with this car. Get good seat time, instructor rid alongs, course work, etc.
I did a novice school with my s2000 years ago and it was a blast but the tenth gen chassis is quite different. Mainly being fwd.
I know tire choice and suspension is key but I want to see how this thing does stock. Any tips or things I should focus on wile out there would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Sponsored

brandonduley

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (FC1)
Country flag
Don’t hit the cones! LOL.

Look forward as far as possible not right in front of the car. Sliding and and spinning tires does not mean you’re going faster. Learn the course your first run of two. Know where you can push and where slowing some will make you faster through certain sections.

seat time is the best upgrade you can do.

OP
OP
Blue18SI

Blue18SI

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan, 1989 crx hf
Country flag
Yeah I don’t want to hit cone but if I’m to far from them I’m not trying hard enough lmao. A buddy of mine mention that if you don’t tilt your head wile Corning you’ll get a tighter apex. Lol

redfred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Tell folks you meet that it's your first time and get both ride-alongs in other cars as well as some of the experienced folks to ride-along with you. AX people are some of the most friendly people you'll meet. Walk and learn the course. Smile and have fun. Later in the season if you catch the bug then get tires and some prep. Maybe attend an AX school. It's a lot of fun and you'll make lasting friendships.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Learn the cheat code to disable the stability control and you'll have a lot more fun.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I found out last season if on all-season tires, leaving the systems on helps actually. Something called agility assist. Similar to stability control in function but not just reactive to prevent a crash.... it's supposed to realize your intentions and actually help you get there. BUT all of the programming for it assumed a factory car down to the tire.

Only other thing I can add is even with the ctr rear bar installed on mine I had to air up to 48psi to get the ass end to rotate like I preferred ymmv.

Last edited:

JDBWV

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Tell folks you meet that it's your first time and get both ride-alongs in other cars as well as some of the experienced folks to ride-along with you. AX people are some of the most friendly people you'll meet.
Very much this. And, if you're comfortable with it, ride along with other people driving your car. When I started out long ago I had a crappy car for autox and thought I was getting out of it all it had. An old hand got in it for a fun run and knocked 2 seconds off my best time. It was as heck of a lesson - the car's almost never what's holding us back.

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan/2019 CR-V/2012 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Thank you for asking this. There's an AX meet in the summer close to my place, I see them going while I'm leaving Costco. I've always wanted to try it and now I have a fun car again I think now may be the time! The ride along is a good tip!

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Thank you for asking this. There's an AX meet in the summer close to my place, I see them going while I'm leaving Costco. I've always wanted to try it and now I have a fun car again I think now may be the time! The ride along is a good tip!
Dude you will absolutely love it. I was in the same boat most were I feel like... confident in some ability but basically flying blind into trackable performance driving experience. Didn't know where to start so I never bothered worrying with it until I got one of these cars and seeing the potential. All of the cliches are true. You will learn alot if you are trying to. Ride alongs are incredibly helpful if you are with a known good driver.
Sponsored