"Auto" Climate Control

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP, Chevy Tahoe LTZ
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed or not, but I don't know that the "Auto" climate control really works. I've gone 25 minute drives with the fans on the same speed. I'm talking setting the climate to 19C on a day where it's 5C, and the fans stay at the same speed the entire drive.

My previous Auto Climate Control would lower the fan speed once the desired temperature was reached...Is the Honda system different from most other cars? :confused:
Sponsored

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's worked surprisingly well for me. I've set it at 72C and haven't touched it. When I first start up the car, the fan is on low until the engine is at temp, at which time the fans run a bit faster. After a little while, once things have warmed up, the fans go back down a bit and it just maintains the temp. If I crack a window and the cabin cools down a bit, the fans seem to kick in a bit harder to bring everything back up.

igacek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I've set it at 72C and haven't touched it.
72C??!? RIP.

Mine has worked well too. When the car is cold the fan won't turn on high since it would only make the car colder. When the car warms up, I can hear the fan turn to a slightly higher speed, but then goes lower to maintain temperature.

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Mine works well however I find it just isn't enough? My windows still fog up and I end up putting on the defrost.

OP
OP
KA0S

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm.. Odd. I'll do another test tomorrow. I've kept the climate control screen on and it seems to stay at the same fan speed for me.

CamaC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm not sure about the auto climate either. I find when I press auto it only stays on the floor setting and the fan stays on medium speed without changing. I wish it would go on floor and defrost.

OP
OP
KA0S

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure about the auto climate either. I find when I press auto it only stays on the floor setting and the fan stays on medium speed without changing. I wish it would go on floor and defrost.
Mine also only goes to the floor. I've also never seen this with my previous and current other vehicle.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
Ah I thought I was going crazy and it was just me! I wonder if there is a way we can customize the auto settings?

OP
OP
KA0S

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I did another test...The Auto feature seems to regulate the fan speed, but it is kind of flawed....It had to play around at first to get it to bring the speed up to warm the interior. The air definitely only blows to your feet, which is quite odd...Does nothing for defrosting the windshield, so you must use that feature to do so.

The other thing I noticed is that there is no actual reading for inside temp....Unless I'm missing it?

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Informative post, but it doesn't mention why air only blows on your feet...
In almost all the cars I've owned, when the heater is activated, it blows just from the bottom. In the summer, when the A/C comes on, air moves through the upper vents as well.

OP
OP
KA0S

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In almost all the cars I've owned, when the heater is activated, it blows just from the bottom. In the summer, when the A/C comes on, air moves through the upper vents as well.
Actually? This is odd...I just double checked my Tahoe, and when on 'AUTO', heat blows from all vents. thus heating the interior quicker and also defrosting the windshield... It was the same in my Dodge Ram, and it's the same in my friend's WRX.

I guess different manufacturers have different settings. But all the ones I have owned blew in both. It would make the most sense to have the air going onto the windshield in the Winter, as this is when you need it the most. I don't need my windshield to be defrosted or defogged necessarily when it's 25 C out and I'm trying to cool the car...

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
So I did another test...The Auto feature seems to regulate the fan speed, but it is kind of flawed....It had to play around at first to get it to bring the speed up to warm the interior. The air definitely only blows to your feet, which is quite odd...Does nothing for defrosting the windshield, so you must use that feature to do so.

The other thing I noticed is that there is no actual reading for inside temp....Unless I'm missing it?
Ya I also experimented when I got out of work last night and saw it did that too. Makes sense now why I kept taking forever to defrost the car when I would get out of work o_O

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
My old Mazda 5 also had automatic climate control, and the auto setting had air blowing on the windshield and at the feet.
Sponsored