Auto climate control

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
I'm still not sure of this system . It seems when I use auto , it will only blow heat from the floor vents . I like my heat on me , not the floor haha .

Does this depend on temp ?
Sponsored

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm still not sure of this system . It seems when I use auto , it will only blow heat from the floor vents . I like my heat on me , not the floor haha .

Does this depend on temp ?
I have yet use heat much in my car as it is finally cooling off in SC. One guess is why the auto climate control blows heat from the floors is maybe it will reduce the chance of the windows fogging up. Hot air rises, so maybe the auto setting is attempting to uniformly heat the entire cabin?

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Default heat location is floor, and default a/c location is the upper vent. That is how most cars are. Personally, I can't stand hot air blowing on my face, or cold air blowing on my feet. That being said, I never really ever use the auto climate setting.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
You can easily direct the airflow (heat included) upward by tapping this button:

Honda Civic 10th gen Auto climate control upload_2017-10-26_9-50-43

I don't like heat on my feet either, so that's what I use all the time.

(And yes, as mentioned above, the behavior you are seeing is completely normal -- at least it was so in all cars with auto-AC that I've ever driven. The reason is air convection, i.e. hot air tends to move up and cold - down.)

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
The one thing I find annoying about the auto climate is that it disables the re-circulation. Clicking that button disables the auto climate.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
The one thing I find annoying about the auto climate is that it disables the re-circulation. Clicking that button disables the auto climate.
All Hondas I have driven with auto climate control have been like this. I have gotten in the habit of hitting auto and then recirc, since they have a physical button for recirc I am okay with it. If someday they move that to the touch screen... eww...

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had the climate control set to auto and on really hot days, it turned on re-circulation; it doesn't happen often but a few times it has.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I have had the climate control set to auto and on really hot days, it turned on re-circulation; it doesn't happen often but a few times it has.
If there is more than 5 or 10 degrees between the temperature setting and actual temperature re-circulation will turn on. (It will turn off once it gets to within 5 degrees)

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
All Hondas I have driven with auto climate control have been like this. I have gotten in the habit of hitting auto and then recirc, since they have a physical button for recirc I am okay with it. If someday they move that to the touch screen... eww...
Good to know. My office building is situated between the Missouri river and a trash dump with a water treatment plant 1 mile down the road also, great location A+++. Forcing the recirc is a must on certain days.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
When I turn on the heat, I make sure "AC" is set to off.
I tick up the fan level to medium.
Knob raise the temp to 86 & sync.
Set it on my windshield to defog in the morning and feet (fortunately this helps my bad circulation).

I haven't tried keeping "AC on" and attempting the same thing.
I wonder if there is a difference.

37 degrees some mornings in NJ.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
When I turn on the heat, I make sure "AC" is set to off.
I tick up the fan level to medium.
Knob raise the temp to 86 & sync.
Set it on my windshield to defog in the morning and feet (fortunately this helps my bad circulation).

I haven't tried keeping "AC on" and attempting the same thing.
I wonder if there is a difference.

37 degrees some mornings in NJ.
With the AC on it would defog a lot faster since the air would get de-humidified.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
when it blows to my feet i just turn the climate off then right back on and blows up top. weird

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
when it blows to my feet i just turn the climate off then right back on and blows up top. weird
Do you turn the auto back on? I think the auto is what dictates heat to the feet. Other day it was cool enough outside that auto was giving me heat... but not cool enough that I needed it. Couldn't figure out how to just ask for fresh air vent. It still wanted to blow warm.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
With the AC on it would defog a lot faster since the air would get de-humidified.
I haven't paid attention in the Civic, but I think modern systems with auto control (whether it's on or not) send conditioned air to the windshield. My Challenger did, as does my wife's Rogue.
Sponsored