Auto Climate Control - Air Source

jbuckner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I don't understand why Honda decided that only outside air can be the source when using Auto climate control. What does the source have to do with temperature?

Selecting Auto automatically changes the source to outside air, yet:
- it's less efficient to heat outside air in the winter.
- we have to bear traffic fumes, dust, or other external factories
- the system can adjust hot/cold to ensure the set temperature.

This seems like a relatively simple programming change to not check/change air source when Auto is pressed. Is there a setting I didn't notice?

Auto should only modulate temperature, fan speed, and mode (e.g., top, bottom, etc.) to achieve the desired temperature.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored

Tuishimi

Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, Rally Red, 6 spd manual
Vehicle Showcase
Huh. I am pretty sure mine does both. It changes it out from time to time. I could be wrong but I am sure while I have been driving I've looked down and seen the recirc on.

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
Huh. I am pretty sure mine does both. It changes it out from time to time. I could be wrong but I am sure while I have been driving I've looked down and seen the recirc on.
It does do both. There is programming to turn the recirculating air on or off while using auto climate. What conditions turn it on or off I do not know.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
It will use recirculating air when the cabin air is hot. It will cool it down faster with the a.c. on

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
When I turn it all the way down to "Lo" and all the way up to "Hi", the system automatically changes to internal recirculation

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my 8Gen I used Auto with the aircon off. In this one if you switch of aircon it also switches of Auto.

Edit: discovered today that this isn't true. Only the Auto light goes of but still controls the temperature.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jbuckner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Every time I use Auto, the car either stays on outside air (if that was the current setting) or switches to outside air if inside air was selected when I pressed Auto. Even during winter when the car needs to work harder to heat outside air than cabin air.

If I have Auto enabled, and simply switch to recycled air, Auto disengages.

In my vehicle, Auto only works with outside air.

But I still don't understand why the car needs to adjust air source to maintain temp. You have heat and AC to do that. Source shouldn't be a factor to adjust the temp. The driver should be able to use Auto and change air source depending on air/road conditions (construction, weather, smoker, etc.) without Auto being affected.

If someone has a suggestion on a changeable setting, please let me know.
It does do both. There is programming to turn the recirculating air on or off while using auto climate. What conditions turn it on or off I do not know.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Econ mode also switches it to recirculating air (I think; last I checked, switching Econ on and off changes the fresh/recirc setting, too).

sdfdsfsd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Sedan
Every time I use Auto, the car either stays on outside air (if that was the current setting) or switches to outside air if inside air was selected when I pressed Auto. Even during winter when the car needs to work harder to heat outside air than cabin air.

If I have Auto enabled, and simply switch to recycled air, Auto disengages.

In my vehicle, Auto only works with outside air.
Auto controls basically everything, including determining whether recirc is on or off. When you manually set or disable recirc, the rest of the automatic controls continue but it will no longer automatically switch between recirc on and off, the auto light goes off to signal that full auto is not enabled. However the rest of the controls (the ones you have not manually set after pressing the auto button) will continue on auto, despite the light not being illuminated.

Quoting the owners manual:

If any buttons are pressed while using the climate control system in auto, the function of the button that was pressed will take priority. The AUTO indicator will go off, but functions unrelated to the button that were pressed will be controlled automatically.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jbuckner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Auto controls basically everything, including determining whether recirc is on or off. When you manually set or disable recirc, the rest of the automatic controls continue but it will no longer automatically switch between recirc on and off, the auto light goes off to signal that full auto is not enabled. However the rest of the controls (the ones you have not manually set after pressing the auto button) will continue on auto, despite the light not being illuminated.

Quoting the owners manual:

If any buttons are pressed while using the climate control system in auto, the function of the button that was pressed will take priority. The AUTO indicator will go off, but functions unrelated to the button that were pressed will be controlled automatically.
Thanks very much. I don't know why that didn't click with me. It would be more obvious to me to just let driver control air source (out of the "auto" equation) and keep Auto light on. But but good to know it keeps working in Auto despite my source change. Thanks again.

gearsofwar17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sedan
My problem with auto always comes on cold humid/rainy days. It doesn't seem to adjust to the humidity and lets the cabin and windshield fog up. Having to toggle the defroster or manually put the climate controls into feet+defroster mode and turn on the A/C to reduce the humidity is a pain.
Sponsored