Audio Upgrade with new DSP w/ stock Head Unit, Need some opinions/advice

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
First off, I have the same HU and speaker set up as most Touring models (10 speaker 450W). I have the Coupe, so different rear, but they function the same.

I am in need of some advice and thoughts on how I should go about this. I am looking to add a Helix DSP.3 (See here) into my system, and only focus on the front four speakers (disconnect center) and add a sub. The rest, I plan on leaving stock (rear deck and rear tweeters). After the DSP, I'll run out into a 4x100 W amp for the front speakers and a 1x1500 W amp for the subwoofer.

From my understanding, the HU for these Civics has functionality in both the amplifier and the HU. How would you guys recommend I get the signals from the stock unit to the DSP? I am fine with splicing wires if needed, but I believe there is a SPDIF connector that I can use.

Any tips are appreciated!
Sponsored

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
I would suggest to prefer the digital signal since it has immune to noises.
The problem I see here (from photos) is that the HU has SPDIF output in coaxial (wire) form and the DSP has SPDIF input in optical form. :hmm:

OP
OP
Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I would suggest to prefer the digital signal since it has immune to noises.
The problem I see here (from photos) is that the HU has SPDIF output in coaxial (wire) form and the DSP has SPDIF input in optical form. :hmm:
I see. I don't think I exactly follow. Where would you suggest I grab the signal for each channel from?

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You need something like this in order to change the signal to optical. It works with some brands but doesn't mention Honda.
Otherwise, you get analog signal from the stock amplifier....

If you manage to provide optical SPDIF signal to the DSP, then you can route it to every output channel. It look like it's a matter of setting. This is my understanding after playing a bit with the software.

Honda Civic 10th gen Audio Upgrade with new DSP w/ stock Head Unit, Need some opinions/advice Annotation 2020-03-09 215159

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I am fine with splicing wires if needed, but I believe there is a SPDIF connector that I can use.
FYI, if you use the SPDIF, you won't be able to control the volume from the headunit. The Helix probably has an optional accessory you can buy to control the volume through it with a rotary knob instead, but I personally wouldn't want to give up the steering wheel volume controls, or the speed-volume compensation.

OP
OP
Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
FYI, if you use the SPDIF, you won't be able to control the volume from the headunit. The Helix probably has an optional accessory you can buy to control the volume through it with a rotary knob instead, but I personally wouldn't want to give up the steering wheel volume controls, or the speed-volume compensation.
Yeah, I was looking into this today, and that seems true. Looks like the Helix can take in a high input. I must grab the speaker wires out the amplifier and run those into the DSP. Though, I am not sure if I will still have the volume control.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
just be aware you're going to have to grab ALL the signal, sum it, then eq it and it's ATROCIOUS. I'd honestly replace the radio before I did any of that

OP
OP
Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
just be aware you're going to have to grab ALL the signal, sum it, then eq it and it's ATROCIOUS. I'd honestly replace the radio before I did any of that
I'd have to do this if I go down the route of grabbing the signal after the amplifier?

And I don't think replacing it is an option, since it contains the HVAC stuff. I would have if I had an LX.

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A SPDIF output can have a fixed (max) volume (CD/DVD players, Bluetooth receiver etc.)
OR a variable volume (sound card of a computer).
So, unless someone has actually measured/tested the signal from the HU, you can never be 100% what really stands true.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
I'd have to do this if I go down the route of grabbing the signal after the amplifier?

And I don't think replacing it is an option, since it contains the HVAC stuff. I would have if I had an LX.
Yes. Because in the amplified the crossover is built into the amplifier. Also, you can simply swap out the manual HVAC controls from an LX/Sport and you'll have all your HVAC controls at your fingertips. It's a plug and play solution.
Sponsored