Ejeje33i3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
Hey guys, i recently hooked up amp & subwoofer, i wired the loc by refering the diagram, everything worked well at the beginning, but now whenever i use the car power window switch or power lock the entire audio including sub mutes, the factory radio shows it is playing but no sound.

I am suspecting the loc power wire, i connected it to the Accessory source, but should i try the continuous power source instead ?

2020 CIVIC LX SEDAN

Any suggestions ?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
So the door locks and windows didn't cause this condition until recently? No changes/mods/additions between when it was working and now?

If so... I suspect one of your power or ground wires has worked its way loose and isn't making a good connection.

OP
OP

Ejeje33i3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
So the door locks and windows didn't cause this condition until recently? No changes/mods/additions between when it was working and now?

If so... I suspect one of your power or ground wires has worked its way loose and isn't making a good connection.
Everything was fine before installing subwoofer.

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO... the easiest thing to try first is to connect your new amp to an external 12V DC power source and try to replicate the issue. Which acc. source did you use? And how many amps does it draw?

OP
OP

Ejeje33i3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
Ok. I will try that. I used A23 Accessory source. Im not sure about the amps, but i will check it

Honda Civic 10th gen Audio Mutes after Sub& amp install Screenshot_20210619-090935_Adobe Acrobat

OP
OP

Ejeje33i3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
Hey i checked my power ground remote with a multimeter, the power and ground shows 14v, ground and remote shows 14v but power and remote shows 0 or less than 1 v is this power issue.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Assuming you put the negative probe on GND when you measure the power-GND and remote-GND, then looks about right to me. Since power and remote are both at 14V, then when you measure the voltage between them, then it'll be 0V. Basically, the voltage measurement is just measuring the potential difference between two points.

I still don't understand what exactly is your problem. So you put in a LOC, and amplifier, and a sub. After everything is connected,
  1. Everything works if you don't touch the window/lock buttons? Sub works, stereo works, everything?
  2. When you press either window/lock button, everything mutes? And if you then release the button, everything return to working? And this problem is repeatable every time?

OP
OP

Ejeje33i3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
Assuming you put the negative probe on GND when you measure the power-GND and remote-GND, then looks about right to me. Since power and remote are both at 14V, then when you measure the voltage between them, then it'll be 0V. Basically, the voltage measurement is just measuring the potential difference between two points.

I still don't understand what exactly is your problem. So you put in a LOC, and amplifier, and a sub. After everything is connected,
  1. Everything works if you don't touch the window/lock buttons? Sub works, stereo works, everything?
  2. When you press either window/lock button, everything mutes? And if you then release the button, everything return to working? And this problem is repeatable every time?
Subwoofer and amp works fine until i use any of the power lock / window switch in high volume. In low volume all is good, subwoofer works even if i use the power switches.

Also, once the audio mutes, i have to either remove and reconnect the ground/ power cable from the amp or just simply shut off the car and wait 5 minutes to get the sound back.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Subwoofer and amp works fine until i use any of the power lock / window switch in high volume. In low volume all is good, subwoofer works even if i use the power switches.

Also, once the audio mutes, i have to either remove and reconnect the ground/ power cable from the amp or just simply shut off the car and wait 5 minutes to get the sound back.
Hmmm.... Are you running a high power amp? Sounds like the amp is going into overload protection or something, but why would that also bring down your stock stereo? No idea. Monitor the voltage while you operate the switch to make this happen and maybe you'll see something.

EDIT: So the LOC is powered with ACC Power? I think that should be ok since the LOC doesn't pull too much current. Where's the LOC GND connected to? How about the amp's power and GND? Where are they connected to? What amp are you running?

Last edited:

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah... the high volume condition is the key, I believe. I second the idea that there's just not enough power being supplied to run the amp and the window/lock thingies at the same time (for whatever reason).

I also am not clear on the power connections. I would try to grab a source directly from the fuse box. You could even try the accessory outlet (the cigarette lighter). I believe that is 10 amps max.

If the amp's power is flowing through the LOC; then it's limited by the capacity of the LOC; and is likely exceeding its capacity.

OP
OP

Ejeje33i3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
Hmmm.... Are you running a high power amp? Sounds like the amp is going into overload protection or something, but why would that also bring down your stock stereo? No idea. Monitor the voltage while you operate the switch to make this happen and maybe you'll see something.

EDIT: So the LOC is powered with ACC Power? I think that should be ok since the LOC doesn't pull too much current. Where's the LOC GND connected to? How about the amp's power and GND? Where are they connected to? What amp are you running?
I changed the LOC power to Continuous power source from Acc, and the loc ground is connected to the radio ground wire,
Amp is powerd and fused from car's battery and ground is in the trunk (away from battery) i will post a picture of ground.

Im running Alpine PDX-4.150 Amp
Specs in picture.

Its my first time running an amp& subwoofer all credits to youtube videos?

Honda Civic 10th gen Audio Mutes after Sub& amp install 20210620_100702

Honda Civic 10th gen Audio Mutes after Sub& amp install Screenshot_20210620-100610_Chrome

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@shoegazer is right, the power window and door locks can momentarily draw some amount of current. In my old Prelude in its old age at idle, the lights dim when I use the power windows.

Is the amp powering only the sub or all your speakers? If all your speakers, then it makes sense that everything mute if the amp is going into some kind of protection.

Is this your amp? https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/PDX-F4 . PDX-F4? You said PDX-4. Not sure if it's the same amp. Looking at the spec for the F4, it has low voltage protection. So monitor the battery voltage see if it dips way down when that problem happens (or see if the headlights dim). What color is the status LED when it mutes?
Sponsored

Last edited: