Audio issues with 2020 Type R

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Why does the CTR sound system suck so much? Honda couldve atleast put a kenwood or Boise system in this damn car
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Why does the CTR sound system suck so much? Honda couldve atleast put a kenwood or Boise system in this damn car
They want you to buy an Acura for a branded system. Ironically some of the Acura systems are among the best ever fitted in factory cars, but Honda’s have always had mediocre systems at best. FWIW the CTR system is better than the Bose in my old Mazdaspeed 3 and the Dynaudio in my GTI. It is not as good as the Bose in my wife’s CX-5. It’s actually not as good as the 6 speaker system in my work trim Silverado either, but that system is kind of an anomaly. I think GM accidentally made it great.

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
We are new to the group and bought a 2020 CW Type R on 7/4/2020. We have noticed that we get almost no sound out of any of the speakers in the back and we get no base at all. I have played with the fade, balance, and base controls. I can bring everything forward but if I go to the back of the car you can just barely hear it and if I go full base it makes no difference at all. Am I missing something?
I am in the same boat as you. My 2019 Si sounded so much better and fuller. I was hoping the Type-R was going to be better since it is supposed to be more watts and more speakers than my coupe was. It's definitely a let down. But yea....same thing for me too....turning the bass up and moving the balance doesn't do anything...its like the speakers aren't even there.

Dabeast

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Type R
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you end up taking it to the dealer? Any updates?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Does it make any difference with DTS Neural Surround on or off?

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
Went in the back to check the back speakers and noticed that one of them isn’t working.. will have to hit the dealership AGAIN. Other than that the rear speakers had decent volume. You should get yours checked as well

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I was hoping the Type-R was going to be better since it is supposed to be more watts and more speakers than my coupe was. It's definitely a let down. But yea....same thing for me too....turning the bass up and moving the balance doesn't do anything...its like the speakers aren't even there.

I agree, I believe the problem with our sound system is the factory DSP/Amp. It dampens the levels way down, and most likely, barely puts out decent clean power, it also has horrible x-over points.

I would be interested to see someone bypass the Factory DSP/Amp and run the stock speakers off of an aftermarket DSP/Amp with the same power, but change the x-over points and levels, and see how much of a difference it would make, or not make ??

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I agree, I believe the problem with our sound system is the factory DSP/Amp. It dampens the levels way down, and most likely, barely puts out decent clean power, it also has horrible x-over points.

I would be interested to see someone bypass the Factory DSP/Amp and run the stock speakers off of an aftermarket DSP/Amp with the same power, but change the x-over points and levels, and see how much of a difference it would make, or not make ??
I think the stock speakers, especially the sub, are capable of decent sound quality and I would be more than happy with them if Honda didn't use some asinine DSP! You can tell the sub can produce great bass if you run the speaker test through the secret "hidden menu". The sub sounded great in the test, not so much in real use though :thumbsdown:

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
"The first rule of car forums: No matter how how good it is, someone will say it sucks."

Yes, followed immediately by the second rule of car forums: no matter how bad something is someone will say its OK.

The current top level stock civic audio is not only subjectively bad, its objectively bad. When factoring in that we have an "upgraded" or "performance" audio package, its embarassingly awful.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
When you guys bought your car, did you get a customer questionnaire? I got one and one of the questions was something like “Would you pay extra in order to have a branded sound system?” I said no at the time but now I wish I had said yes. Not that I’m that unhappy with the sound.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
When you guys bought your car, did you get a customer questionnaire? I got one and one of the questions was something like “Would you pay extra in order to have a branded sound system?” I said no at the time but now I wish I had said yes. Not that I’m that unhappy with the sound.
Branded systems can suck too. I had a Mazdaspeed 3 with a Bose system that was horrible. Actually far worse than the CTR stereo. I don’t have a big problem with the sound quality, but the subwoofer is invisible. I’ve played a song with decent bass levels and taken the sub volume from zero to max and back. There is no audible difference. I think an adjustment to the sub crossover would make a huge difference to the overall audio quality.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I added a 10" 2 ohm sub in external box using factory amp connections (disconnected factory sub), replaced aluminum shrieker factory tweeters with Polk Soft dome tweeters at the door tweeter position, and replaced the center speaker with a much higher sensitivity Infinity 3.5" speaker (disconnected its tweeter and put i think a 7-8 mH inductor to tame the high boost there too) had to mod the new 3.5 to the speaker grill slightly and then on my iPhone (that I only use for carplay-no SIM) I turned "Treble Reduce" on and now it's just OK. But not very good still. I can live with it and the severe listening fatigue is greatly reduced at mid to low volumes.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I just replaced it all except the factory radio. 5 channel amp, sounds good but some work. Ran sound after factory amp to DSP.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the 2019 Sport Touring and the "Premium" audio is a joke. I installed honda hack and viper4android and everything is pretty nice now. At this point the speaker limitations are showing through and need to get better tweeters and front door speakers. The sub actually hits decent with the Honda hack.
Sponsored