AUDIO ISSUES ON 2016 CIVIC EX

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
Issue: Does anyone's audio volume seem to be stuck on 11 while phone is plugged in thru USB and playing music? I have an iphone 6plus and when I plug it in using the USB cord it seems like for some reason my volume won't allow me up past 11. It's frustrating because some songs are softer than others and I end up really annoyed so I switch to my am/fm. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem out there....
I'm not sure if this is an "issue" but more of a WAD (working as designed). I noticed this 'max volume 11' occurrence when my iPhone is plugged in and I'm using CarPlay. I've noticed that whenever the phone is unlocked and in use, the volume will lower and the maximum you can turn it up to is 11. But once you lock your phone (screen is completely black) the volume will return to normal.

I noticed this one day when I was using Google Maps, but my iPhone was plugged in directly to the USB port for CarPlay. I noticed that for some reason, I couldn't turn up the volume when I was listening to music. Once Google Maps directed me to a road where I knew how to get home, I stopped the navigation and locked my phone, and surprisingly, the music went back to normal and I was able to turn it up. I tested this multiple times: unlock iPhone, volume turns down and the max will be 11 - lock iPhone and volume returns to normal listening conditions. I believe this is how it is designed to work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
visuol1

visuol1

jUsT oRdErEd mY RaLlYe ReD cIvIC !
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civix EX Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if this is an "issue" but more of a WAD (working as designed). I noticed this 'max volume 11' occurrence when my iPhone is plugged in and I'm using CarPlay. I've noticed that whenever the phone is unlocked and in use, the volume will lower and the maximum you can turn it up to is 11. But once you lock your phone (screen is completely black) the volume will return to normal.

I noticed this one day when I was using Google Maps, but my iPhone was plugged in directly to the USB port for CarPlay. I noticed that for some reason, I couldn't turn up the volume when I was listening to music. Once Google Maps directed me to a road where I knew how to get home, I stopped the navigation and locked my phone, and surprisingly, the music went back to normal and I was able to turn it up. I tested this multiple times: unlock iPhone, volume turns down and the max will be 11 - lock iPhone and volume returns to normal listening conditions. I believe this is how it is designed to work.
So awesome ! Thank you for all the information. I kind of want to agree with your statement because I noticed just today it was doing the "11" thing and My phone was exactly how you said above yours was on navigation and car play as well. I'm going to monitor it and see if that's the case and if so, well, I guess it must be a Honda thing.thank you again.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also noticed that the audio issue mostly happens when the phone is unlocked and goes away when it's locked again (I'm using an iPhone 5), but I think it has happened a few times when this wasn't the case. I'm not sure why they would assume you want to adjust the navigation volume whenever your screen is unlocked. Sometimes it doesn't do this when the phone is unlocked, but it will do it once you bring up the keyboard. Hopefully they'll fix this in a future update. It makes it difficult to listen to YouTube videos in the background since you have to leave the screen unlocked to play them so I'll often resort to using Bluetooth in those circumstances.

EtherealAegis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burgundy Night Pearl Touring

So awesome ! Thank you for all the information. I kind of want to agree with your statement because I noticed just today it was doing the "11" thing and My phone was exactly how you said above yours was on navigation and car play as well. I'm going to monitor it and see if that's the case and if so, well, I guess it must be a Honda thing.thank you again.
This is working as designed.

bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Really? I sure hope not. Also, it's inconsistent. The vast majority of the time, I can leave my phone unlocked with Waze (or any other app) visible, and the volume is normal. But every now and then (usually after using Siri or the right-turn camera) it will get quiet and the volume control is usurped by "navigation"... even though I don't have built-in navigation in my EX and Apple Maps is not running in the background.

And sometimes simply locking and unlocking the phone will fix it, other times upon unlocking it will get quiet again. Though as I said above, I don't believe it's happened ever since I disabled the side camera displaying automatically with the right turn signal, so perhaps that's related.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I hope they figure out the issues with the lane-watch camera. I hate how it cuts off voice commands if it's activated while in the middle of speaking. I don't see any logic behind them doing that on purpose so perhaps it's interfering with other systems inadvertently as well.

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
Yeah, I hope they figure out the issues with the lane-watch camera. I hate how it cuts off voice commands if it's activated while in the middle of speaking. I don't see any logic behind them doing that on purpose so perhaps it's interfering with other systems inadvertently as well.
I've turned off Lane Watch because of this. I don't really need it all the time - especially when making right turns or quick lane changes. Besides, you can always just turn it on manually if you need to look in your blind spot real quick. I've been using Lane Watch since my '14 Civic Coupe, but I can say that I don't miss it activating every time I signal right.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've turned off Lane Watch because of this. I don't really need it all the time - especially when making right turns or quick lane changes. Besides, you can always just turn it on manually if you need to look in your blind spot real quick. I've been using Lane Watch since my '14 Civic Coupe, but I can say that I don't miss it activating every time I signal right.
I tried this last week but I found that I really missed the automatic activation when making quick lane changes on the highway. It's so great for those situations. Maybe over time I'd get into the habit of automatically hitting the button, but I'm leaving it on for now. I wish there was an option to only activate the camera automatically if you're driving over a certain speed. I don't need the darn thing when I'm turning right at a stop light...mind you, it would be handy for checking for bicyclists if you drive downtown.

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
I tried this last week but I found that I really missed the automatic activation when making quick lane changes on the highway. It's so great for those situations. Maybe over time I'd get into the habit of automatically hitting the button, but I'm leaving it on for now. I wish there was an option to only activate the camera automatically if you're driving over a certain speed. I don't need the darn thing when I'm turning right at a stop light...mind you, it would be handy for checking for bicyclists if you drive downtown.
This is true. It is useful for making lane changes on the highway. But I've gotten used to not using it again. I really wish Honda just gave us the little light indicators on each side mirror that everyone else has. It's "cool" to have a camera on your side mirror, but for practicality the light indicator would've been better.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@snbns Yeah, I wish we had the little light on the driver's-side mirror but I do prefer the camera over the light. The light is good for checking if someone is currently in your blind spot, but it won't tell you if someone is barreling at you at 100mph and by the time you make your lane change, they're already at your bumper. I'm not sure if it will show if someone is making a lane change into your blind spot either so I think the camera offers better coverage. Speaking of coverage, have you ever compared how much coverage you get with the camera vs the standard mirror? It's pretty awesome how much more area the camera covers vs the mirror.

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
@snbns Yeah, I wish we had the little light on the driver's-side mirror but I do prefer the camera over the light. The light is good for checking if someone is currently in your blind spot, but it won't tell you if someone is barreling at you at 100mph and by the time you make your lane change, they're already at your bumper. I'm not sure if it will show if someone is making a lane change into your blind spot either so I think the camera offers better coverage. Speaking of coverage, have you ever compared how much coverage you get with the camera vs the standard mirror? It's pretty awesome how much more area the camera covers vs the mirror.
Yeah the camera does cover a whole lot of ground. You can see practically everything with the camera on. Although I do have to say I'm impressed by the size of this Civic's mirrors. They're quite large which I love. I had the '14 Civic Coup and I feel like those mirrors were so small I couldn't see much, and that's why using Lane Watch was a great help. But with this new Civic, I feel like the mirrors are big enough where I don't have to 100% rely on the Lane Watch Camera. But, when the camera is on it's a huge help as you can see almost everything on your right side.

mvizzion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic EX, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just bought a Touring yesterday and have noticed the same issues: when I hung up a phone call, audio levels only went to "10" and I had to unplug and re-plug the phone. I've also had the issue with audio going softer when I unlock my phone, and louder when I lock it. This can't be a "feature," it's gotta be a bug. Hope they fix it soon; I put an after-market stereo in my last Civic with Apple CarPlay and didn't have any of these issues...
Sponsored