ASWC-1 Installation?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think my unit may be old (maybe from 2010 because the booklet that came with it only lists cars up to 2010). I tried updating firmware to no avail (wont read on my laptop). Am i screwed to need a new one? lol why me?
You're in the same boat I was in. Mine was a 2013 model but still too old. You can update the firmware on it but it will still only take the newest firmware for your model and not necessarily the newest one out there. You'll have to buy a new one and you can sell your old one to someone that has an older vehicle. I sold my old one for $36 shipped on eBay. I included the new harness from the new unit since I did not need it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
You're in the same boat I was in. Mine was a 2013 model but still too old. You can update the firmware on it but it will still only take the newest firmware for your model and not necessarily the newest one out there. You'll have to buy a new one and you can sell your old one to someone that has an older vehicle. I sold my old one for $36 shipped on eBay. I included the new harness from the new unit since I did not need it.
Did yours have cab bus, or micro usb? Mine has the micro usb but my computer doesn't even read it at all. Can't update anything. Weird because they all look the same, and firmware is firmware. I find it hard to believe there is a hardware change in there since there's no packaging changes or any codes to designate age of device.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did yours have cab bus, or micro usb? Mine has the micro usb but my computer doesn't even read it at all. Can't update anything. Weird because they all look the same, and firmware is firmware. I find it hard to believe there is a hardware change in there since there's no packaging changes or any codes to designate age of device.
I called them, the internal hardware is unfortunately different. They will take the number of the back of it and confirm with you. It was micro USB.

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called them, the internal hardware is unfortunately different. They will take the number of the back of it and confirm with you. It was micro USB.
I was stupid and used a charging cable rather than a charge/data usb cable. Used the proper cable type, and it read device no problem and updated to firmware 3.27

I called Metra and they confirmed my unit will auto-detect on a 2016 Civic LX with my firmware.

I forgot to ask them though, did you guys use the 3.5 mm jack and brown wires? Pretty sure Kenwood harness has wires that you connect to those two brown wires, right? I got the Kenwood DMX7704S

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was stupid and used a charging cable rather than a charge/data usb cable. Used the proper cable type, and it read device no problem and updated to firmware 3.27

I called Metra and they confirmed my unit will auto-detect on a 2016 Civic LX with my firmware.

I forgot to ask them though, did you guys use the 3.5 mm jack and brown wires? Pretty sure Kenwood harness has wires that you connect to those two brown wires, right? I got the Kenwood DMX7704S
Sounds like you have made progress.

I installed a Pioneer so I did not have to use it.

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wanted to add that you all will want this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AXXESS-...ash=item5417dfa2aa:g:kWIAAOSw8d9UrWvv&vxp=mtr

To retain factory USB ports. My new radio has two USB out (one for media, one for CarPlay/AndroidAuto) so the media one will connect to the stock port on my console, the other will break down to a usb type-c connector for my android that will connect at my console pad beneath the radio where the factory wire notches are. This will give me Android Auto access and fast charge the phone simultaneously. Kinda on the fence with it constantly charging the phone though as that's bad for the battery. Going to look into a bypass.

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just wanted to add that you all will want this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AXXESS-...ash=item5417dfa2aa:g:kWIAAOSw8d9UrWvv&vxp=mtr

To retain factory USB ports. My new radio has two USB out (one for media, one for CarPlay/AndroidAuto) so the media one will connect to the stock port on my console, the other will break down to a usb type-c connector for my android that will connect at my console pad beneath the radio where the factory wire notches are. This will give me Android Auto access and fast charge the phone simultaneously. Kinda on the fence with it constantly charging the phone though as that's bad for the battery. Going to look into a bypass.
That USB adapter will be awesome! After 2 days and hours of playing around with my ASWC-1 I still can't get it to work right, Holding down my volume up button changes the radio station, my bluetooth hang up button turns the audio down, and my push to talk button changes the radio source all other buttons do no work.

SonicTman

First Name
Justyne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Grey LX HB, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Altitude
Country flag
Haha I'm by no means an expert. Just done a lot of installations in the past for me and friends. In case anyone was wondering I installed my 4200 today and the ASWC worked perfectly and auto programmed all I did was connect it and push the reset button and all my buttons work as they should.
The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX?

SonicTman

First Name
Justyne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes that's the one
Nice how do you like it? I have a local guy who took his out because he sold the car and is selling the HU for 250. Seems like a good deal for what the HU can do. I was originally going to go with the AVIC-5200NEX because of the built in GPS but found you can get Andriod Auto on this and get mirroring from phone with the HDMI cable so this is a cheaper better option for me. I read it also has a connection to hook up additional monitors for the back and you can dual play video to the back while listening to music in the front

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Nice how do you like it? I have a local guy who took his out because he sold the car and is selling the HU for 250. Seems like a good deal for what the HU can do. I was originally going to go with the AVIC-5200NEX because of the built in GPS but found you can get Andriod Auto on this and get mirroring from phone with the HDMI cable so this is a cheaper better option for me. I read it also has a connection to hook up additional monitors for the back and you can dual play video to the back while listening to music in the front
It's pretty nice I mainly use it for Android Auto and Google Maps I haven't really used the CD/DVD player but I have the bypass installed just in case. Mine is a little buggy at times but it sounds good and for that price I would definitely get it. Just make sure you get the wire harness and BT mic I've seen people try to sell used radios without them. The mic fits really well in the stock location.

SonicTman

First Name
Justyne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's pretty nice I mainly use it for Android Auto and Google Maps I haven't really used the CD/DVD player but I have the bypass installed just in case. Mine is a little buggy at times but it sounds good and for that price I would definitely get it. Just make sure you get the wire harness and BT mic I've seen people try to sell used radios without them. The mic fits really well in the stock location.
Did you not use the factory mic already installed? I was going to buy the kit from crutchfield just to be sure I have all the stuff. He obviously had it wired for his car so some work is done and luckily he used butt caps so easy to undo and install my harness. That bypass cable did you just install it into the radio and have it for later or did you do more with it?

Yeah I was thinking for the price I was getting a good deal and in the pics it looks pretty much new, so save me some money and adding in an better HU. I wanted the built in GPS but with the android auto or mirroring I'll just use my phone GPS and display it on the HU when needed.

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Did you not use the factory mic already installed? I was going to buy the kit from crutchfield just to be sure I have all the stuff. He obviously had it wired for his car so some work is done and luckily he used butt caps so easy to undo and install my harness. That bypass cable did you just install it into the radio and have it for later or did you do more with it?

Yeah I was thinking for the price I was getting a good deal and in the pics it looks pretty much new, so save me some money and adding in an better HU. I wanted the built in GPS but with the android auto or mirroring I'll just use my phone GPS and display it on the HU when needed.
No I couldn't figure a way to make the factory mic work, I heard you could with Kenwoods, but I've been using the Pioneer mic in the factory location and it was easy to do and it sounds great.
I installed the harness as I was wiring up the power and car harnesses, it was easy to do it tells you where to tap into the harness and it unlocks most of the features that it normally blocks as you're driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKQ6ECQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SonicTman

First Name
Justyne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No I couldn't figure a way to make the factory mic work, I heard you could with Kenwoods, but I've been using the Pioneer mic in the factory location and it was easy to do and it sounds great.
I installed the harness as I was wiring up the power and car harnesses, it was easy to do it tells you where to tap into the harness and it unlocks most of the features that it normally blocks as you're driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKQ6ECQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Where is the factory mic located at already? I image somewhere in the head liner. What did you use for taps?

Last edited:

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag