ASWC-1 Installation?

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
Has anyone installed an ASWC-1 in a '16+ Civic yet? Buying the kit soon and while it has general directions, I know vehicle specific wiring differs and I have never installed one of these before so, well, I have no idea what I am doing there. I can install HUs, speakers, crossovers, amps, etc with my eyes closed, but understanding this steering wheel control kit is confusing the hell out of me.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What harness are you using for the radio?

Also, make sure you get a new production ASCW-1. I tried to use an older one I had and the firmware was not updatable.

Has anyone installed an ASWC-1 in a '16+ Civic yet? Buying the kit soon and while it has general directions, I know vehicle specific wiring differs and I have never installed one of these before so, well, I have no idea what I am doing there. I can install HUs, speakers, crossovers, amps, etc with my eyes closed, but understanding this steering wheel control kit is confusing the hell out of me.

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
been using one long time now, on a pioneer hu. plug and program and play. took several times to program due to mistakes. plugs right into the metra wiring kit.

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What harness are you using for the radio?

Also, make sure you get a new production ASCW-1. I tried to use an older one I had and the firmware was not updatable.
Using the Metra harness. Got the full kit from Crutchfield that they said is everything I needed.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Using the Metra harness. Got the full kit from Crutchfield that they said is everything I needed.
Good news, it's pre-wired. All you have to do is plug it in and follow the simple programming steps.

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This should help I'm about to install it in my car this weekend with my radio. Might be different depending on your trim level though but you can select the other trims on their website (axxessinterfaces.com)
https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_28.pdf
Awesome, thanks this will help a lot! It's in an LX
Good news, it's pre-wired. All you have to do is plug it in and follow the simple programming steps.
What's pre-wired? The harness or the ASCW-1?

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stereo harness and ascw-1 harness.
So the ground and 12v power are in the harness itself? I thought i'd have to ground to chassis and tap into 12v aside from what the radio has according to the install sheet posted above.

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
So the ground and 12v power are in the harness itself? I thought i'd have to ground to chassis and tap into 12v aside from what the radio has according to the install sheet posted above.
The 12v and ground for the ASWC should already be connected to the Metra wire harness. Mine came that way

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 12v and ground for the ASWC should already be connected to the Metra wire harness. Mine came that way
Awesome, thank you for your help! I really appreciate it. So you got your from Crutchfield too?
Super nice of them to wire the ASCW-1 to the Civic harness for me, if that is what you're saying is the case!

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Awesome, thank you for your help! I really appreciate it. So you got your from Crutchfield too?
Super nice of them to wire the ASCW-1 to the Civic harness for me, if that is what you're saying is the case!
I actually bought mine from Amazon. I pieced my kits/harnesses/aswc/bypass together from different places to get the best price. I think they come come like that but I might be wrong. Did you get the micro bypass for your radio?

OP
OP
STiTCH87

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually bought mine from Amazon. I pieced my kits/harnesses/aswc/bypass together from different places to get the best price. I think they come come like that but I might be wrong. Did you get the micro bypass for your radio?
CRAP! You know, I KNEW I forgot something! I'm very glad you asked that actually because I definitely would've gotten to install day and not had the damn thing. No. haven't gotten it yet.

I have:
Kenwood DMX7704S
Metra Harness
Metra Dash Kit
Axxcess ASCW-1
Honda Radio Antenna Adapter
Soldering gun and some heat shrink.

Can't believe I overlooked the stupid bypass. Not that I would want to watch video while driving, but if you've ever gone on a long ride with kids, you know...

Hey, when you do the install this weekend or whatever you should consider doing a write-up on it. I know myself and many others here would really appreciate the reference thread since there seems to be none anywhere online.

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Haha I'm by no means an expert. Just done a lot of installations in the past for me and friends. In case anyone was wondering I installed my 4200 today and the ASWC worked perfectly and auto programmed all I did was connect it and push the reset button and all my buttons work as they should.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To clarify, Metra includes the ASCW-1 harness in their standard harness for the Civic radio so it is just plug and play. Stupid me wired an additional ASCW-1 harness into it before I realized that they had already done the work for me. :doh:
Sponsored