First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is for anyone with experience using head studs. I had a question on the torquing of the head studs themselves. MAPerformance recommends 3 sequences up to 60ft lbs and Honda is two sequences starting with 22ft lbs and ending on 165 degrees.

How do you guys torque the head studs? They’re hayabusa head studs so they’re not exactly for the L15. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've always done the 3 step method. Never had a head lift off or blown head gasket.

OP
OP
EkSean

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm using new Honda studs for my build but I would go with what MAP is saying if you are using their product.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm re-using Honda studs for my build but I would go with what MAP is saying if you are using their product.
I hope by re-using you mean at least replacing with new Honda head bolts and not re-using the old ones.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I hope by re-using you mean at least replacing with new Honda head bolts and not re-using the old ones.
Yes sorry, that was bad phrasing lol. We've been told by other builders including Eman if you use Honda studs torqued to ~66 ft lbs (I think I'm recalling that correctly don't quote me) and an OEM head gasket it will hold 30# of boost all day.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes sorry, that was bad phrasing lol. We've been told by other builders including Eman if you use Honda studs torqued to ~66 ft lbs and an OEM head gasket it will hold 30# of boost all day.
Ha yeah I think PRL is using OEM bolts with an OEM gasket and they surpassed 500whp no problem.

ThatWhiteFK7

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport CVT
Country flag
Just reviving this thread. Can anyone confirm it is safe to torque brand new oem headbolts to 60ft. Lbs using 3 stage method (20,40,60).

I would much rather do this than 2 stage 22ft. Lbs. + 165° but only if reputable builders have confirmed its safe on the 1.5t platform to do so.

I recently lifted my head at 98k miles after running TSP Stage 1 for almost 4 years.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would definitely recommend head studs. I replaced with OEM head bolts the first time and it only lasted 11 months. Replaced with studs and it's been good for 19 months and counting.

ThatWhiteFK7

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport CVT
Country flag
I would definitely recommend head studs. I replaced with OEM head bolts the first time and it only lasted 11 months. Replaced with studs and it's been good for 19 months and counting.
Too long of a wait on studs for me. With power I'm running on TSP Stage 1 it took almost 5 years and 98k miles of abuse to lift the head. Even if I get half of that with new oem head bolts I'll be happy lol. I would have to replace my HG and bolts maybe 10 times for the car to physically be down as long as it would waiting on pre order head studs.

Don't get me wrong if u could get them soon I would. But not being able to drive the cat for almost 2 months waiting for parts is a hard pass for me. Maybe if I had higher power goals.

At this rate I'll buy new head studs when they release. And have them ready for the next time headbolts fail.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too long of a wait on studs for me. With power I'm running on TSP Stage 1 it took almost 5 years and 98k miles of abuse to lift the head. Even if I get half of that with new oem head bolts I'll be happy lol. I would have to replace my HG and bolts maybe 10 times for the car to physically be down as long as it would waiting on pre order head studs.

Don't get me wrong if u could get them soon I would. But not being able to drive the cat for almost 2 months waiting for parts is a hard pass for me. Maybe if I had higher power goals.

At this rate I'll buy new head studs when they release. And have them ready for the next time headbolts fail.
Define "soon".

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

There's 2 options right now. Is your head gasket in need of immediate repair?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324952368955

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/arp-head-studs.62694/post-1132155
Sponsored