Are y'all's AC dying as often as mine is?

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
You mean the condenser. Not all 2016-2018 models are covered.
Doesn't change the fact that he still has a 36 month comprehensive warranty. Unless he is over on mileage?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Unless he is over on mileage?
Yep. I was 4000 miles and a month over the 36000 mile and 3 year warranty. I had the help of the corporate office or else I’ll be paying close to $3000 for the compressor and condenser since my VIN wasn’t included in the condenser recall.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
You were asking about if he was over in his mileage and I just gave you my example.
Being over on mileage is self explanatory. No example necessary. Thanks though.

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
they found a leak and it turns out i had a faulty o-ring. replaced under warranty thankfully.

Sole_serious

First Name
Longo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
The 10th gen Civic’s A/C has lots of problems because of a design and quality flaw. It is suggested to run it in the lowest setting at least once a week especially in winter to make the refrigerant circulate or else it will start leaking up to the point that the entire system is empty and the seals will go bad. Worse part is that the compressor go crap as well if you run it dry without any refrigerant.
Same with everyone else my condenser went. Got it warranty. Problem fixed.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Does anyone know if they have changed the part number for the AC in the 2020s?

timtzotz

First Name
timtzotz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R (SGP); 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Country flag
For many years, I have used a product called ICE32. Blows colder and reduces wear on compressor.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
For many years, I have used a product called ICE32. Blows colder and reduces wear on compressor.
I can see that it is a R-134A additive. You cannot use that with the newer models since they use R-1234YF refrigerant.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I had a 2017 Sport Touring and only ever used the A/C for 3-4 months of the year, it had no problems after I sold it 3.5 years later. Maybe I got lucky haha.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
2019 here. 21k miles in the first year of driving. 3 times the a/c could only blow hot air. 2 of them I was on the way to pick up food and when I shut the car off and back on again, the a/c worked.
The 3rd time the a/c wasn't working, I had just left the house and was heading for work. I drove as fast as I could to the Honda dealer by my shop and literally as I'm pulling into the parking lot, the A/C on full blast that was blowing hot air started to blow cold air...

I'll be out of my 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty this year. I hope I don't have to pay out of pocket to repair this garbage a/c.

curtngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
2019 here. 21k miles in the first year of driving. 3 times the a/c could only blow hot air. 2 of them I was on the way to pick up food and when I shut the car off and back on again, the a/c worked.
The 3rd time the a/c wasn't working, I had just left the house and was heading for work. I drove as fast as I could to the Honda dealer by my shop and literally as I'm pulling into the parking lot, the A/C on full blast that was blowing hot air started to blow cold air...

I'll be out of my 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty this year. I hope I don't have to pay out of pocket to repair this garbage a/c.
I have a 2016 Touring, bought new late Oct of 2016, so approaching 4 years old, and currently at 117k km / 72.5k miles. I had my car in to the dealership three times to look into the a/c - Aug 2019, May of this year, and June of this year. All were out of warranty (due initially to mileage). The first two times they evacuated the refrigerant, confirmed it was low/out, checked for leaks, found none, then recharged and added dye. On the third appointment, they determined that the evaporator unit was the culprit, and quoted me close to $3k to fix.

It took a month, but Honda Canada stepped up and covered the cost of replacing it in late July of this year, when the car was at 112k km, or 70k miles. I didn't drive much the following few weeks after the replacement. Three weeks later, on my first trip out of town, it was obvious there were still issues with the system. The a/c would cycle from blowing nice and cold for 10 minutes to only moderately cool for a prolonged time, then nice and cold again, then moderately cool, and so on. I eventually noticed that revving the car up to around 2500 to 3000 rpm for 2 - 3 seconds could trigger the a/c to blow cold, and took the car back to the dealership in late August. They again evacuated the refrigerant, but this time it was still at full charge. So seals still good, but the compressor, nonetheless, is shot, and it would cost $3k to replace.

Once again, Honda Canada stepped up. The compressor is getting replaced today, again a month after the diagnosis, and fully covered by Honda.

I don't know why Honda Canada decided to cover these repairs to the evap unit and compressor given that its out of warranty. I do not think its a stretch to blame this on design and/or quality issues. Regardless, I am very grateful that Honda has taken care of this, particularly reading about how many others have not been as lucky.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
no ac is not dying when you drive open the windows turn on low , after hot air is gone , close windows then turn ac to 72f auto

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
2020 and my compressor stopped working last week after only 5.5k miles.

Don't want to have to drop it off over night, if they could diagnose and order one day, and then fix it when it arrives that would be fine. If i would have to leave it and get a rental I'd definitely be bringing my laptop to flash a nanny mode tune where the cars top speed is limited it 20mph and zero torque. I'd flip shit if they tried driving it off their lot.

It hasn't been hot so I haven't really been sweating it (heh), I need to stop by and pick up my tags today since they finally came in and the temp is about to expire
Sponsored