Are y'all's AC dying as often as mine is?

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
I don't drive the car much now due to COVID and being able to work from home. But I do occasionally take her out to run an errand or two. About a month ago on one of said trips, the AC wasn't blowing any cold air. Took her in, repair was free, verified it was working as I was leaving the lot. Fast forward to yesterday when I went out to get some boba in 100 degree heat and it wasn't working again. It was much cooler opening the windows than it was inside the car. I don't think I've driven it since the return trip from the dealer until yesterday. Now I have to go back again to get it looked at. I've read that the ac compressor are notorious for failing. Is there a permanent fix or is this a song and dance I'll just have to do every month?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
The 10th gen Civic’s A/C has lots of problems because of a design and quality flaw. It is suggested to run it in the lowest setting at least once a week especially in winter to make the refrigerant circulate or else it will start leaking up to the point that the entire system is empty and the seals will go bad. Worse part is that the compressor go crap as well if you run it dry without any refrigerant.

CC-Civic

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
My 2018 AC condenser was replaced under warranty about 3 weeks ago. The refrigerant leaked out from it. It, the condenser replacement, was covered under the extended 10 year warranty.

Coaster Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
My 2018 AC condenser was replaced under warranty about 3 weeks ago. The refrigerant leaked out from it. It, the condenser replacement, was covered under the extended 10 year warranty.
My condenser was bad, too. The dealer, Hoehn Honda in Carlsbad, California, replaced it under the extended warranty last week and I have cold air again.

FK8_JJ

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Type R, 92 Civic Si, 04 Honda S2000, 13 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I have taken my Type R in 3 times already for the A/C going out.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
A/C went out earlier this year. Currently in the shop for 2nd time. This time a full system replacement. I'm scared to keep the car past warranty solely because of the A/C

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I normally have the climate control on auto, so AC is normally running in some regard I guess? Since it’s a DD, everything is run on a daily basis. I haven’t run into any issues with my AC So that might be why.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
My ac in my '16 is going. Never had an issue before the last couple of weeks.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
A/C went out earlier this year. Currently in the shop for 2nd time. This time a full system replacement. I'm scared to keep the car past warranty solely because of the A/C
I am afraid of my A/C going out too. I’m already out of warranty. A/C is operating fine for now. I had my A/C tested and it currently blowing at 40F in its coldest setting. If I decide to sell the car in the future. It would be hard to sell the car or lose a large amount of re-sale value if the cars A/C unit does not work.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I normally have the climate control on auto, so AC is normally running in some regard I guess? Since it’s a DD, everything is run on a daily basis. I haven’t run into any issues with my AC So that might be why.
Yes, that is a good reason why you’re one of a few lucky ones.?

Making the compressor run even during winter will help the seals to be lubricated or else they’ll dry out and crack to which will lead to slow leakage of the refrigerant.

CC-Civic

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
My AC was running through winter as well. The condenser was still replaced though. Just luck of the draw. Honda is aware that the problem(s) exist with the AC. It will not affect all Civic's but it will affect a lot of them.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am afraid of my A/C going out too. I’m already out of warranty. A/C is operating fine for now. I had my A/C tested and it currently blowing at 40F in its coldest setting. If I decide to sell the car in the future. It would be hard to sell the car or lose a large amount of re-sale value if the cars A/C unit does not work.
There is a 10 year warranty on the a/c condenser.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As discussed in many A/C threads around here, there are several of us who purchased cans of R-1234YF to refill our own systems when they start blowing warm. I've been lucky - my first $30 can has lasted over 2 months, still nice and cold! This has been a great inexpensive fix after my dealer wanted thousands to start throwing new parts at the problem. Eventually the cans will start failing quicker and quicker as the leaks intensify, but I can throw many $30 cans at the problem before I get anywhere close to the money the dealer wanted. Good luck everyone!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As discussed in many A/C threads around here, there are several of us who purchased cans of R-1234YF to refill our own systems when they start blowing warm. I've been lucky - my first $30 can has lasted over 2 months, still nice and cold! This has been a great inexpensive fix after my dealer wanted thousands to start throwing new parts at the problem. Eventually the cans will start failing quicker and quicker as the leaks intensify, but I can throw many $30 cans at the problem before I get anywhere close to the money the dealer wanted. Good luck everyone!
Don't you have a 2018 model? The condenser has a 10 year warranty and every other a/c component will still be covered under your 36 month comprehensive warranty. You need a new dealer!

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't you have a 2018 model? The compressor has a 10 year warranty and every other a/c component will still be covered under your 36 month comprehensive warranty. You need a new dealer!
You mean the condenser. Not all 2016-2018 models are covered.
Sponsored