tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
alot of the stuff on there is to cover their own behinds.

the manual also states for us to not check and change the MTF ourselves.
looks like a lot of us here have broken that rule.

every single new car i have bought, i just drove it like i always drive it. Like turbociv910 said, i just don't romp on it when the engine/transmission is still cold.
I don't remember seeing that in my 2018 manual when I read through it. That said, I can't seem to find this in the 2020 manual either when I search the PDF. Searching for "MTF" in the 2020 manual returns nothing, search for "transmission" does not return any results talking about fluid. Search for "fluid" brings up oil, brake/clutch fluid, and windshield washer fluid.

Edit: I do understand this for automatic transmissions since that's become the norm for whatever reason...
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I don't remember seeing that in my 2018 manual when I read through it. That said, I can't seem to find this in the 2020 manual either when I search the PDF. Searching for "MTF" in the 2020 manual returns nothing, search for "transmission" does not return any results talking about fluid. Search for "fluid" brings up oil, brake/clutch fluid, and windshield washer fluid.

Edit: I do understand this for automatic transmissions since that's become the norm for whatever reason...
its in there under the MTF maintenance section. I will have to look for it.

the point is just because its listed there doesn't mean you HAVE to follow it.
Hell, right under the engine "break in" notice, it says for you to not do any hard stops for 200 miles when brake pads are replaced. If i don't do any hard stops, how else am i going to correctly bed the pads ...

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
its in there under the MTF maintenance section. I will have to look for it.

the point is just because its listed there doesn't mean you HAVE to follow it.
Hell, right under the engine "break in" notice, it says for you to not do any hard stops for 200 miles when brake pads are replaced. If i don't do any hard stops, how else am i going to correctly bed the pads ...
You slam on the brakes when you bed them in? I thought a firm, even pressure was required rather than a hard slamming of the brakes.

born_hard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X touring sport
Country flag
I have the 1.5 Civic Touring Sports and drove 2000miles already. Now i am ready to change the oil but use the original geniune Honda 0W20.
Some say its not a good idea because of molybden additives which will washed out of the engine with the original oil and some people say change it after 1000miles. Whats the truth?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have the 1.5 Civic Touring Sports and drove 2000miles already. Now i am ready to change the oil but use the original geniune Honda 0W20.
Some say its not a good idea because of molybden additives which will washed out of the engine with the original oil and some people say change it after 1000miles. Whats the truth?
Do what you feel is best. Honda recommends following the Minder to the point they released a TSB telling dealers not to do early oil changes on the Type R because of that. There may not be one for the normal Civic. At the end of the day, it’s completely up to you.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure I could hold back for that long! I got Championship White - personally, I think it looks the best with the black parts and as someone who is 35 years old now, I think it looks the least "boy racer", but we're splitting hairs there given the rest of the car's appearance :D My current car is the same color as yours though, I like that one too.

Also, my thoughts were on the off chance that the 2022 model doesn't make it to North America, or they stop building it or whatever, I will have what is likely the most desirable or 'collectible' color working in my favor for resale. Not banking on that though, obviously haha.

Do you have a source you could link me to that shows it is broken in at the factory? I would love that to be true but I can't find any objective information on it. I tend to agree though, the way the break-in procedure is written and how vague it is, it seems like it's more for the rest of the car and not necessarily the engine.
congra on your new CTR.. which part of canada are you from? toronto here