Are Type R engines factory broken in?

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
From the owner's manual, emphasis mine. Remember that we share an OM with ALL hatches, not just Type R.

However, the OM makes special call outs for 1.5L and 2.0L (CTR) and this has no engine specific call outs.

Untitled.png
thanks for posting this! I knew it was stated somewhere but couldn’t remember where. I’ve always kept it easy on that first 1000km, plus drove in varying rpm ranges as opposed to just sitting in one range constantly. Overall though, I’d keep the rpms fairly low (shift at no more than 3800rpm) and cruising between 1700-3000rpm.

As I’d get closer to the 1000km mark, starting after the first 600km, I’d start going a bit higher in the rev range. I’d change the original oil at about 1000km and then start having fun.

Iceyankee-Tsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
At Honda Anna Engine Plant in Anna Ohio. Prior to sending the units to Swindon, UK for install.

Who and where was the break-in done? That‘s an expensive manufacturing process. They do break in on the NSX, which is a slightly different price point. The videos on that will tell you to break it in slow.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Definitely do not replace the oil right after brake in is done (500-ish miles according to Honda) as Honda doesn’t recommend it. Actually, a lot of dealerships won’t touch your oil until your oil life indicator is below 40-ish percent since Honda sent a TSB our telling dealerships not to replace the factory oil early.

The FK8 comes with synthetic oil. I don’t know of too many modern cars that don’t with synthetic oil nowadays.
Yeah, I didn't first change the oil until MM told me to, around 6.5-7k miles. No issues.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Actually, a lot of dealerships won’t touch your oil until your oil life indicator is below 40-ish percent since Honda sent a TSB our telling dealerships not to replace the factory oil early.
Anyone have a copy of this?

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Anyone have a copy of this?
Its on Honda’s owners website somewhere.

This is the wording:
Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Definitely do not replace the oil right after brake in is done (500-ish miles according to Honda) as Honda doesn’t recommend it. Actually, a lot of dealerships won’t touch your oil until your oil life indicator is below 40-ish percent since Honda sent a TSB our telling dealerships not to replace the factory oil early.

The FK8 comes with synthetic oil. I don’t know of too many modern cars that don’t with synthetic oil nowadays.
I still have the factory fill in my car. I have 5600 miles on it Since February, 2020.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a new car I always try to put 1000-1200 miles on it before really beating on it or modding.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
IMO most modern engines are "broken in" frkm the factory. The reason we used to do with was because in decades past machining tools and practices weren't as precise as they are today. There used to be a lot of tolerance, which resulted in lots of metal shavings/debris for a while until things settled.

It's not as much an issue today but still a thing we keep doing just like premature oil changes. Oil has changed a lot since the 70s yet how many shops and people still reccomend oil changes at 3000 miles?

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
From the owner's manual, emphasis mine. Remember that we share an OM with ALL hatches, not just Type R.

However, the OM makes special call outs for 1.5L and 2.0L (CTR) and this has no engine specific call outs.

Untitled.png
No need to look more. Just follow what the manual says. The rest is just urban legends.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Psssh too late i been full throttle since i got the car

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
IMO most modern engines are "broken in" frkm the factory. The reason we used to do with was because in decades past machining tools and practices weren't as precise as they are today. There used to be a lot of tolerance, which resulted in lots of metal shavings/debris for a while until things settled.

It's not as much an issue today but still a thing we keep doing just like premature oil changes. Oil has changed a lot since the 70s yet how many shops and people still reccomend oil changes at 3000 miles?
Those are the people who make money on the oil changes....However, I am skeptical of super long oil change periods due to fuel dilution and oil break down due to heat plus dirt. Seems a lot of those recommendations are brought to you by the marketing types. As in the Porsche cars circa the 2000's. The book recommended 15,000 miles on Mobil 1 with a filter change every other time!!! That's just insane! As long as I'm on that: Who in their right mind changes oil and leaves the old filter on the car i.e. A vs. B service in the Type R MM? That's just foolish! I'm going to watch the MM but still decide on how long, but that's just me.

End of Rant...Thanks for listening.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Those are the people who make money on the oil changes....However, I am skeptical of super long oil change periods due to fuel dilution and oil break down due to heat plus dirt. Seems a lot of those recommendations are brought to you by the marketing types. As in the Porsche cars circa the 2000's. The book recommended 15,000 miles on Mobil 1 with a filter change every other time!!! That's just insane! As long as I'm on that: Who in their right mind changes oil and leaves the old filter on the car i.e. A vs. B service in the Type R MM? That's just foolish! I'm going to watch the MM but still decide on how long, but that's just me.

End of Rant...Thanks for listening.
The oil filter rule for the CTR is actually based on milage still. The filter itself is supposed to last 15k miles. So if you did like 6k+ miles it’ll tell you to replace the filter, even on an ‘A’ service. If you did like 3k miles for example, it’ll tell you to keep the filter. In either case, it’s not like a filter is expensive to begin with.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
The oil filter rule for the CTR is actually based on milage still. The filter itself is supposed to last 15k miles. So if you did like 6k+ miles it’ll tell you to replace the filter, even on an ‘A’ service. If you did like 3k miles for example, it’ll tell you to keep the filter. In either case, it’s not like a filter is expensive to begin with.
Ok fine. I'll pass on leaving 0.4 qts. of dirty oil in my engine. If my Dad was still alive and I did an oil change w/o changing the filter he would kick my azz and I would deserve it!:slap:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Ok fine. I'll pass on leaving 0.4 qts. of dirty oil in my engine. If my Dad was still alive and I did an oil change w/o changing the filter he would kick my azz and I would deserve it!:slap:
I’d definitely agree with you on swapping it out every time. You’re there already and it it doesn’t cost that much for a new filter.
Sponsored